Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 1338

post #20056 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post

Maybe in Queensland or Perth or whatever they don't serve rhubarb as part of the dinner proper, but in my neck of the woods they sure do. But even if they didn't, the heart is not made of rhubarb that is rediculous. (I can't tell from your post whether you think the heart is made of rhubarb or not. It kinda looks like you do based on your tone.)

I, like Neil, am strawberry flavoured.
post #20057 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Things could be worse. Unless they've changed it in Canada you have to buy an annual license to operate a cell phone.

This reminds me that I need to snowshoe over to the Hudson's Bay outpost and have Doug renew my Portable Telephone Operators Licence and clean my baby seal club.

(Don't worry, it's not a club used to hit baby seals. I operate an after-hours dance venue for pinnipeds. It's basically a speaker in a cardboard box from a hockey net, and Doug just hoses it out.)
post #20058 of 24781
Do they still have that yearly license fee in place? Eff'ing CRTC.
post #20059 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Do they still have that yearly license fee in place? Eff'ing CRTC.

No, apparently there's no user fee anymore. I'm not sure what Doug has been doing with the money I give him. But he's the only person I know with a gazebo.
post #20060 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post

Why hasn't att or Verizon just come out with a Couple's $100/mo plan for like 10 gigs of data and unlimited everything else?

Why don't you go put your name in the hat for GoogleFi?

That's basically what it is--$20 a month plus $10 per GB...and you are refunded for any data you don't use. I've heard of people paying like $26 a month total because they are usually within range of wifi (it also allows you to route calls/texts over wifi, and adds an encryption layer of some sort when you are connected to public wifi).

International data is the same price (but limited to a slower speed) and you can make calls while abroad for like 20c a minute.
post #20061 of 24781
NRC Handelsblad (newspaper) just published a story in which they ranked the Dutch provinces from most weird to most normal. The weirdest province is Flevoland. Wouldn't you know it that's where my people come from. You'd have thought my people would have come from Utrecht, which is the most normal province. Just goes to show you, I guess. (I'm not sure what it shows you, tbh.)
post #20062 of 24781
So is Dr. Bronner's a cult?
post #20063 of 24781
Got this message on Linkedin today...starts out with
"How would you like to work for a start-up Marketing Agency with the backing of the AARP name?"

Does anyone want to be associated with the AARP name?

Probably not, as the email ends with
"We would love the chance to tell you more about this exciting opportunity! The position will pay up to 170k base + 15-22.5% bonus, pension and 4% match in 401k to the right candidate."
Rare to see emails like that list a salary...and what kind of start-up offers both a pension AND a 4% 401k match?

However they clearly aren't using the advanced screening methods....they are looking for a candidate with experience double the # of years I have even been in the workforce, in something I have zero experience in.
post #20064 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pun View Post

So is Dr. Bronner's a cult?

It was, but then pBooth grew disenchanted and the cult lost its prophet.
post #20065 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Got this message on Linkedin today...starts out with
"How would you like to work for a start-up Marketing Agency with the backing of the AARP name?"

Does anyone want to be associated with the AARP name?

Probably not, as the email ends with
"We would love the chance to tell you more about this exciting opportunity! The position will pay up to 170k base + 15-22.5% bonus, pension and 4% match in 401k to the right candidate."
Rare to see emails like that list a salary...and what kind of start-up offers both a pension AND a 4% 401k match?

However they clearly aren't using the advanced screening methods....they are looking for a candidate with experience double the # of years I have even been in the workforce, in something I have zero experience in.

LinkedIn is interesting. I just received a promising lead when someone reached out to me, but a lot of them are junk. It was especially bad when my job was associated with sales, so about once a week or so, I would get pinged to be a sales guy with "unlimited pay potential" for some shitty company.
post #20066 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

LinkedIn is interesting. I just received a promising lead when someone reached out to me, but a lot of them are junk. It was especially bad when my job was associated with sales, so about once a week or so, I would get pinged to be a sales guy with "unlimited pay potential" for some shitty company.

Don't scoff. I'd give you an unlimited compensation package to be my chief entrepeneurial assistant. You'll have total discretion over your unit's business strategy and budget, and a 30% commission on the net of anything you bring in -- with no caps or ceilings.
post #20067 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Rare to see emails like that list a salary...and what kind of start-up offers both a pension AND a 4% 401k match?
 

What I would give for any company that still offers a pension. jesus they're hard to find

post #20068 of 24781
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

What I would give for any company that still offers a pension. jesus they're hard to find
I want nothing to do with a pension. What happens if the company you have a pension through goes under? Your pension could be negatively impacted.

Or more common even, you get tied to a company and don't take a better opportunity because you don't want to lose it. My previous employer offered a pension up until a year or two before I started. Many of former colleagues are dramatically underpaid compared to the market, but they won't move because they don't want to lose their pension. Especially those with 10+ years. They wouldn't even consider leaving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Don't scoff. I'd give you an unlimited compensation package to be my chief entrepeneurial assistant. You'll have total discretion over your unit's business strategy and budget, and a 30% commission on the net of anything you bring in -- with no caps or ceilings.

Just the offer I've been looking for, but if when I sell your legal services and you don't deliver, that comes out of your 70%.
post #20069 of 24781
Pensions are held and managed much differently than they used to be pre 2007. Stuff like Enron etc where people lose pensions because it was held in Enron stock can't happen anymore.

And you say 'underpaid' in the current sense. Are you counting the income they would receive after they retire?
post #20070 of 24781
Is this the way pensions work in the U.S.?

When I switch jobs, I just bring my pension with me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get