or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things you just don't get - Page 706

post #10576 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i can see a lot of fun being had with that.



many years ago, i had a group of friends that would go to this pizza place and order something like 60 or 80 wings EACH. Then they'd kill it all, go out onto the street, and chug warm watter. The street ended up looking like a murder scene, and cars would stop to see what was going on.

lol that sounds awesome. There was this weird kid in high school who would go to this chinese buffet place and eat till he puked, eat more, puke. He would do this like 3 times. He was fucked up.
post #10577 of 12652
wtf
post #10578 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Its an "Idaho Stop" because the law there allows something along the lines of "cyclists may treat a stop sign at an empty intersection as a yield sign" and maybe a similar downgrade to stop sign for red lights. Other areas have similar rules, but I think it was originally statewide in Idaho, hence the name.

Personally, when I ride, I tend to do something similar even though it is not the rule here. I might treat an empty red light as a stop sign--come to a stop and then proceed through if clear. A stop sign gets to behave like a yield of there are no turning or crossing cars--slow down before entering, look both ways, but not actually come to a complete stop (then again, I rarely see cars actually come to a complete stop...so they are all breaking the law too).

Of course if it is a stoplight intersection with traffic, I will sit there and wait for the green. And if there are other cars at a 4-way stop, I will come to a stop and give them their turns (e.g. I will go when the car next to me, travelling the same direction, has their turn and goes). I actually don't really like it when someone tries to wave me through an intersection (especially if they aren't the only other car there)--I should be waiting my turn, I have already made the effort to stop, and then the person behind them will see me zip through and think I am some asshole cyclist (since they didn't see me get waved at). Its a nice gesture, but it kind of breaks everybody's flow.

Thank you for being a reasonable cyclist.

Also, I support your stop sign approach. Stop signs are stupid and pointless, and they should all be changed to yield signs.
post #10579 of 12652
I don't think all should be changed to yield signs. It depends, come on, man. Safety and stuff.
post #10580 of 12652
on somewhat of a similar note, i was at this house party when i was like 18, and one of my friends got trashed and decided to make a pizza from scratch. did he know how to do it? no.


that house was trashed.
post #10581 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't think all should be changed to yield signs. It depends, come on, man. Safety and stuff.

What does a stop sign do that a yield sign can't, aside from generate revenue in the form of fines for failure to come to a complete stop?
post #10582 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

i can see a lot of fun being had with that.
many years ago, i had a group of friends that would go to this pizza place and order something like 60 or 80 wings EACH. Then they'd kill it all, go out onto the street, and chug warm watter. The street ended up looking like a murder scene, and cars would stop to see what was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

drugs

lol8[1].gif that's hilarious… I don't get it, but hilarious nonetheless.
post #10583 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post


What does a stop sign do that a yield sign can't, aside from generate revenue in the form of fines for failure to come to a complete stop?

 

I don't know if a 4 way yield would work.

post #10584 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I don't know if a 4 way yield would work.

Sure it would. What makes it any different than a four-way stop? There's a protocol that dictates right-of-way that isn't undermined at all by making them yield signs.
post #10585 of 12652
I used to be pretty heavily into road cycling. I can tell you cyclists are other cyclists worst enemies. The vast majority are spandex clad douchebags and they get treated by motorists as they deserve to be treated. Problem is there's no sign on your back to tell motorists you're not a douchebag too so you get the same treatment. People in cars need to think hard too though, as a fit and muscular 6'4" 23 year old man on a bike, loses every argument with a 98# grandma behind the wheel.
post #10586 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post


Sure it would. What makes it any different than a four-way stop? There's a protocol that dictates right-of-way that isn't undermined at all by making them yield signs.

 

I think the more sensible solution would be to loosely enforce the rolling stop thing. 

post #10587 of 12652
I like spandex./
post #10588 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I think the more sensible solution would be to loosely enforce the rolling stop thing. 

So, then, treat them like yield signs?
post #10589 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

The vast majority are douchebags

this is very true
post #10590 of 12652
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

So, then, treat them like yield signs?

Stop signs are vary rare here in england, can't remember the last time I saw one. Seems to work alright.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things you just don't get