• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You're Overdressed!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a vent!

Am i the only person who finds it particularly rude to be told you're overdressed for something, like a party, where it was unspecified?

Over the weekend i went to an engagement party, something that in my family its pretty normal to show up in a sportcoat and pants, maybe a tie or even a suit. You're honoring the couple getting married and its supposedly a pretty big deal.

OK, it turns out it was indoor/outdoor, but not a barbecue, it was catered.

I was at church earlier that day (thats rare enough as it is! hehe) and show up at the party in a suit.....immediately upon walking through the front door someone shouts out "your overdressed".

I found this to be awkward and pretty rude, so i fired back "I rented this for $20, just for today!".

Later when told that i 'can' remove my jacket, I told the person i didnt want to loose all the pieces since i had to return it by 9 o'clock.

How do you guys handle this? Do you take your jacket and tie off and kick back? or do you tell them to find something else to worry about?

Would you ever tell an invited guest of yours that they're underdressed, or do you consider this rude?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask them, "Am I overdressed or are you underdressed?" Then I berate them for lacking their own sense of style.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. Rude, but sadly not unusual these days.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Just a vent!

Am i the only person who finds it particularly rude to be told you're overdressed for something, like a party, where it was unspecified?

Over the weekend i went to an engagement party, something that in my family its pretty normal to show up in a sportcoat and pants, maybe a tie or even a suit. You're honoring the couple getting married and its supposedly a pretty big deal.

OK, it turns out it was indoor/outdoor, but not a barbecue, it was catered.

I was at church earlier that day (thats rare enough as it is! hehe) and show up at the party in a suit.....immediately upon walking through the front door someone shouts out "your overdressed".

I found this to be awkward and pretty rude, so i fired back "I rented this for $20, just for today!".

Later when told that i 'can' remove my jacket, I told the person i didnt want to loose all the pieces since i had to return it by 9 o'clock.

How do you guys handle this? Do you take your jacket and tie off and kick back? or do you tell them to find something else to worry about?

Would you ever tell an invited guest of yours that they're underdressed, or do you consider this rude?

Was it the host?
confused.gif
Was iammatt there?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Was it the host?
confused.gif
Was iammatt there?

No the host was too busy to worry about my clothing, just some asshole from the peanut gallery.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I start undressing and ask if there's baby oil around.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get this a lot! And its simply because everyone else around me has lower standards.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being overdressed can also be considered rude.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your situation, I would say that the other people are underdressed, and I would find it quite annoying if anyone berated me for overdressing.

However, I do tend to find overdressing almost as obnoxious as underdressing sometimes... I am a firm believer that there is a time and a place for everything.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe so, but really, an engagement party....

My family recently hosted one for my brother, and everyone was wearing the usual shirt/tie and pants some jackets here and there. Then we got to drinking without any worry of comparing clothing.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but really, an engagement party....

Yeah, I don't know about those. Isn't the rehearsal dinner and wedding the engagement party?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think your sarcasm was probably lost on these people and not only did it make you seem over dressed, but also cheap - "Oh, skinny rented that for just $20 and now he wont budge by taking his jacket off and letting loose..."

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, if you go around looking like Alpa Chino in your dark suit/dark tie, that's what you get.

I've never been told that, even when I was. If I'm the only person wearing a tie, I'll put the tie in my pocket, and maybe lose the coat if we're talking sumemrtime, but after that...****'em.

Sometimes, though, it's more a matter of not being overdressed but rather too formal in your outfit: a navy blazer/grey trouser is more formal/dressy than brown coat/beige chinos.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"...said to the man wearing the $3,000 suit! C'MON!" --- G.O.B.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I think your sarcasm was probably lost on these people and not only did it make you seem over dressed, but also cheap - "Oh, skinny rented that for just $20 and now he wont budge by taking his jacket off and letting loose..."

crackup[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads