or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Movies that blow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Movies that blow - Page 3

post #31 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyto
American Beauty--avoid it, despite the win. A movie with "deep statement" pretensions that ultimately falls flat from ham-handed writing and acting and a parade of two-dimensional characters. Almost as bad as Falling Down.
Fixed.

I'm surprised to see Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil on this list, it's in my top half of movies, if not better.

Tom
post #32 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
jbz,
how did you not know that 'sidewalks of new york' was going to suck?

you need a dark sense of humor to appreciate 'natural born killers.' it's a comedy.


I had a pretty good idea that Sidewalks of New York was going to suck. It was my wife's turn to pick a movie, you see (not to criticize her - I've picked my fair share of turkeys that she has had to endure - see Existenz). Its only redeeming quality was that it had Stanley Tucci in it, though this was far from his finest work.

Regarding Natural Born Killers, people have used the above argument with me before. It generally goes something like, "you just don't understand what Oliver Stone was trying to do with this movie." My only response is, yes, I do understand what Oliver Stone was trying to do with the movie, but he did it in such a ham-handed, poorly directed, one dimensional, and obvious manner, that the end result was absolute dreck. Meanwhile, he probably sat in his editing room, patting himself on the back and thinking how clever he is.
post #33 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
Fixed.

I'm surprised to see Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil on this list, it's in my top half of movies, if not better.

Tom

I guess my problem with MITGOGAE was that it could have been so much more, considering the actors and the director. I never read the book, so I can't compare it. However, while it's far from the worst movie I've ever seen, my expectations were very high, which made it quite a letdown for me.

I liked Crash, but I don't know that it was best picture worthy. I haven't seen Brokeback yet, so I can't compare them (although I'm a bit surprised by the sour grape, negative comments that Crash is getting from the Brokeback supporters - it's not like the movie sucked). Regarding Short Cuts, I've seen it a couple of times, and I'm still not sure what to make of it. I've always loved the way Altman has directed conversation, which is certainly on display and central to Short Cuts. However, while on the one hand I admire Altman's craft, on the other, with Short Cuts, I had a hard time being convinced that I should care at all about the characters.

Another movie similar to Crash was Lawrence Kasden's Grand Canyon, which must be around 15 years old at this point. A bit more hokey, but interesting, nonetheless.

I thought a much better and more thought provoking ensemble piece was Happiness by Todd Solondz.
post #34 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M
Dear God, I just looked it up, and Boll has six movies coming out in the next couple of years.

I was told they were fixing the loophole that got him all his funding, but I guess not.

Its not a loophole, SOMEONE is doing this to us on PURPOSE!
post #35 of 718
Anything with Kevin Costner in it is grade A crap. Shocked that he has not been mentioned. The Postman, WaterWorld, Tin Cup are all revolting pieces of shit. Yes, I also hated Dances with Wolves and I must've missed the memo on Bull Durham. That fucking movie he made where he was robbing someplace dressed as Elvis is absolutely unforgivable. He should be consigned to a life of dinner theater acting in Iraq. Why did I watch all those movies that he was in if I think he sucks? Because I am as big a jerkoff as all the Hollywood studios that keep putting this ass wipe in movies.
post #36 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Anything with Kevin Costner in it is grade A crap. Shocked that he has not been mentioned. The Postman, WaterWorld, Tin Cup are all revolting pieces of shit. Yes, I also hated Dances with Wolves and I must've missed the memo on Bull Durham. That fucking movie he made where he was robbing someplace dressed as Elvis is absolutely unforgivable. He should be consigned to a life of dinner theater acting in Iraq. Why did I watch all those movies that he was in if I think he sucks? Because I am as big a jerkoff as all the Hollywood studios that keep putting this ass wipe in movies.
And yet Open Range was was one of the best Westerns ever made.
post #37 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Anything with Kevin Costner in it is grade A crap. Shocked that he has not been mentioned. The Postman, WaterWorld, Tin Cup are all revolting pieces of shit. Yes, I also hated Dances with Wolves and I must've missed the memo on Bull Durham. That fucking movie he made where he was robbing someplace dressed as Elvis is absolutely unforgivable. He should be consigned to a life of dinner theater acting in Iraq. Why did I watch all those movies that he was in if I think he sucks? Because I am as big a jerkoff as all the Hollywood studios that keep putting this ass wipe in movies.

Actually, I quite liked Silverado. Of course, this was before anyone knew who Kevin Costner was. I also enjoyed The Untouchables. The problem with Costner, IMHO, is that he bought his own hype after the success of Dances With Wolves. Before that, he was just an actor.

FWIW, I also like Bull Durham (although I know many hate it) and Field of Dreams.
post #38 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Anything with Kevin Costner in it is grade A crap. Shocked that he has not been mentioned. The Postman, WaterWorld, Tin Cup are all revolting pieces of shit. Yes, I also hated Dances with Wolves and I must've missed the memo on Bull Durham. That fucking movie he made where he was robbing someplace dressed as Elvis is absolutely unforgivable. He should be consigned to a life of dinner theater acting in Iraq. Why did I watch all those movies that he was in if I think he sucks? Because I am as big a jerkoff as all the Hollywood studios that keep putting this ass wipe in movies.

Fandango wasn't bad.
post #39 of 718
Crash deserved Best Picture Oscar. Get over it, guys.
post #40 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Collateral was excellent, and after listening to Michael Mann ramble on in the commentary, it's rather obvious that Cruise and Foxx were largely responsible for the movie not sucking. He may kind of nutty and he is definitely insensitive, but he is definitely talented, and just about everyone who knows him says he's a very nice person. I don't understand why it's so popular to hate him just because he built his career on a solid foundation of crap.

I couldn't agree more, Collateral is a beautiful movie. I really had a bad feeling about Miami Vice, until I saw the trailer now I can't wait to see it, I have no problem watching Collateral in Miami.

Also, this summer I was forced to watch Hitch on a bus, I don't know if it was worse than I Robot or not (about the same now that I think about it), but Will Smith needs to find a new agent.
post #41 of 718
What is it that you guys liked about Crash? Without trying to offend anyone's taste here, my response to Crash was that it was overwrought, populated entirely by stereotypes and cinematic cliches, and that at best its conclusion (Racism Is Bad, Everyone's A Racist, Even Racists Are People Too, And Sometimes They Even Have Real Problems!) should serve as the *starting point* for any serious and thought-provoking movie about race, not the ending point. I read in a review somewhere that Crash was "like a bad general: fighting the last war" and that seemed a PERFECT description to me. The problem with racism in America right now isn't so much one of people screaming racial epithets at each other and racial violence erupting at every turn; in fact, I'd go so far as to say that the *real* problem with racism is this country is that people still think that Crash is what racism looks like. This lets them ignore their own more pedestrian, quietly racist assumptions and prejudices. My fiancee, for example, will always cross the street if she sees two guys approaching her on a dark or deserted street. UNLESS they're black or Latino, because she doesn't want to appear racist. (Something similar was mentioned in some random other review that I read online as well, and rung very true for me.) This is in itself a form of racism, of course, and is a much more interesting and trickier problem to deal with. But Crash seemed blithely oblivious to the subtle forms of racism that pervade our culture, and focused only on the (melo)dramatic forms of racism that we all know are bad. And it doesn't focus on how, for example, the development of politically correct ways to discuss race, despite good intentions, has actually served in many cases to simply provide a smoke-screen for racism.

So I guess the best thing I can say about Crash was that it was naive. Good intentions, but it missed the point. It's like the couple we all know who can talk about the evils of racism all day, but will avoid walking down any downtown street that's not at least 60% populated with white people because it "seems sketchy".

Plus, on a sheerly artistic level, like I said, overwrought melodrama with wooden dialogue (though some very solid performances).

I know that was harsh, but that's my honest reaction to the movie. Disagreements? Why am I wrong about it?
post #42 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
The Last Samurai was really quite good.

Does anyone else think that The Last Samurai could easily have been titled "Dances With Samurai" or "Dances With Wolves II?"

These two movies seemed remarkably similar to me.
post #43 of 718
Sauce, I've heard a nearly identical response from a good half-dozen different people whose opinions I trust. I'm not even going to waste my time! I guess it testifies to the intelligence of Academy voters.
post #44 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
Does anyone else think that The Last Samurai could easily have been titled "Dances With Samurai" or "Dances With Wolves II?"

These two movies seemed remarkably similar to me.
They were similar, but Last Samurai was definitely more complex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
Sauce, I've heard a nearly identical response from a good half-dozen different people whose opinions I trust. I'm not even going to waste my time! I guess it testifies to the intelligence of Academy voters.
I've heard the same. I'm going to see it eventually, but I'm in no hurry. The Constant Gardener deserved that award, but no one bothered to watch it.
post #45 of 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
What is it that you guys liked about Crash? Without trying to offend anyone's taste here, my response to Crash was that it was overwrought, populated entirely by stereotypes and cinematic cliches, and that at best its conclusion (Racism Is Bad, Everyone's A Racist, Even Racists Are People Too, And Sometimes They Even Have Real Problems!) should serve as the *starting point* for any serious and thought-provoking movie about race, not the ending point. I read in a review somewhere that Crash was "like a bad general: fighting the last war" and that seemed a PERFECT description to me. The problem with racism in America right now isn't so much one of people screaming racial epithets at each other and racial violence erupting at every turn; in fact, I'd go so far as to say that the *real* problem with racism is this country is that people still think that Crash is what racism looks like. This lets them ignore their own more pedestrian, quietly racist assumptions and prejudices. My fiancee, for example, will always cross the street if she sees two guys approaching her on a dark or deserted street. UNLESS they're black or Latino, because she doesn't want to appear racist. (Something similar was mentioned in some random other review that I read online as well, and rung very true for me.) This is in itself a form of racism, of course, and is a much more interesting and trickier problem to deal with. But Crash seemed blithely oblivious to the subtle forms of racism that pervade our culture, and focused only on the (melo)dramatic forms of racism that we all know are bad. And it doesn't focus on how, for example, the development of politically correct ways to discuss race, despite good intentions, has actually served in many cases to simply provide a smoke-screen for racism.

So I guess the best thing I can say about Crash was that it was naive. Good intentions, but it missed the point. It's like the couple we all know who can talk about the evils of racism all day, but will avoid walking down any downtown street that's not at least 60% populated with white people because it "seems sketchy".

Plus, on a sheerly artistic level, like I said, overwrought melodrama with wooden dialogue (though some very solid performances).

I know that was harsh, but that's my honest reaction to the movie. Disagreements? Why am I wrong about it?

I didn't have such a negative reaction to the movie, but I see your point. I think that, frankly, it is impossible to do a topic as complicated as race relations in America justice in a two hour movie. I also agree that most people, in my experience, are not overtly racist. It is the silent, lingering prejudices that are most damaging in today's society. This is also the most difficult racism to combat (to truly change the way people think, no matter what they say "on the surface"). I think it would be nearly impossible to communicate this sort of prejudice in a movie (certainly it would be much more difficult than to show the overt racism which was set forth in Crash).

That said, I thought the acting in Crash was very solid. In particular, I though Matt Dillon and Don Cheadle were very good. As I said above, I don't think Crash was best picture material, but I do think it was a solid effort. It was also the only one of the five best picture nominees I saw (too busy chasing after my children), so I cannot judge it against the other choices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Movies that blow