• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happened to my Jantzen MOP buttons

fox81

Reaction score
My first Jantzen arrived on Friday, so I have run it through the wash ready to iron and try on properly, and stragely most of the MOP buttons have brown burn/scuff marks.

I have other shirts with equally thick MOP buttons, one was even washed in the same load, and nothing like this has ever happened before. The buttons were perfect when the shirt arrived, but they have been damaed in the wash somehow. It certainly wasn't tumble dried and the spin cycle is set to 800 i believe.

See the pictures and discuss.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Are you sure it isn't just the back of the button naturally being that way to begin with? It is from shell after all. Im guessing from the price, that they don't exactly select the most premium shells to make the buttons from and some are left with part of the outside that isn't totally nacreous in appearance. Some of my Jantzen buttons have a bit of brown on the backside.

up1bin

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't help you with the button issue (I've never had a MOP button change colors like that in the wash/dry), but what fabric is that shirt? It looks really nice....

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
That is normal.

Nope, its very NOTnormal to be stressed about back of button color after wash....

Regards.

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is normal for Jantzen shirts. Some of their thicker MOP buttons are not finished in the rear so they are thicker.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by soaped
That is normal for Jantzen shirts. Some of their thicker MOP buttons are not finished in the rear so they are thicker.
+1 (It adds character.)

fox81

Reaction score
OK, just to clarify, the buttons were fine and clean when the shirt first arrived. Only after the wash have they taken on that brown finish on the back.

What buttons do people usually choose for their Jantzens? I might try the trocas next time.

The fabric is 8104, a white oxford. It looked pretty cheap out of the packet but after a wash it has come up ok.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both trocas and MOP. I have not had any of my buttons have marks like those after washing.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
are you calling me a liar?
Maybe they came from the factory with white paint on them to hide any imperfections, and the paint came off in the wash.
lurker[1].gif

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
are you calling me a liar?

What are you, 12?
smack.gif

We, or at least I were simply stating that what we see here is very common for Jantzen buttons and is also very easy to miss during the initial inspection of the shirt. If you did inspect it that carefully I suppose it's possible that the shell material reacted with something in the wash or due to the heat of the dryer (if you used one) but this still looks like the shell material.

FWIW, most of my buttons are much 'worse' than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads