or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit jacket waist alterations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit jacket waist alterations.

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
How much should I expect to pay?

I've got a couple of jackets here that are a little sack-y in the waist and could do with some taking in.

And, now that I'm on the topic, where does the excess fabric get taken out - the side seams? Is there an upper limit?
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M
How much should I expect to pay?

I've got a couple of jackets here that are a little sack-y in the waist and could do with some taking in.

And, now that I'm on the topic, where does the excess fabric get taken out - the side seams? Is there an upper limit?
It usually costs me around $25 per jacket, perhaps a bit more if the jacket is fully lined. Someone more knowledgeable of tailoring techniques should answer the other part of your question, but I would imagine that an equal amount from all seams would be best in terms of balancing the shape (this is purely guesswork on my part). I would imagine, also, that it depends upon whether the jacket is darted or not.
post #3 of 6
I took about (up to, at the waist) 1-1/4" out of the center seam of my tuxedo jacket at the same time as removing the center vent. If it had been other than a solid fabric I wouldn't have attempted that. I'm sure 1" out of each side seam would be doable. The center seam can only be used for adjusting the upper waist and around the shoulders, at least on center vented jackets. On DV jackets I imagine most of the alteration is done in the center seam.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
The center seam can only be used for adjusting the upper waist and around the shoulders, at least on center vented jackets. On DV jackets I imagine most of the alteration is done in the center seam.

Actually, my double vent coats have taken in at the side seams, with the vent being reconstructed.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by retronotmetro
Actually, my double vent coats have taken in at the side seams, with the vent being reconstructed.
I stand corrected. I guess this would mean a higher cost on DV jackets?
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I stand corrected. I guess this would mean a higher cost on DV jackets?

I do think it costs more, but it has been so long since I altered a center vent or unvented coat that I have no real basis for comparison.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit jacket waist alterations.