or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Shine in London
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Shine in London - Page 2

post #16 of 26
http://www.menswearstyle.co.uk/2012/12/04/how-to-polish-shoes/248?ltp=t
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeguide View Post
 

I'm 90% sure he actually uses Crockett & Jones products. I've been going to him at the Burlington Arcade for the past 3 years.

post #18 of 26
Malford is right. I tried the Burlington fella and he did a less than two minute job. and a very mediocre shine. Worth it for the experience, but not so much for the outcome.

Steve's shoe shine seems interesting.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Malford is right. I tried the Burlington fella and he did a less than two minute job. and a very mediocre shine. Worth it for the experience, but not so much for the outcome.
Steve's shoe shine seems interesting.

 

Odd - I've had very different experiences at the Burlington Arcade. I would think a shoe shine is between 5 and 7 minutes depending on whether you get the standard or the premium service. He is rather popular and there is usually a short wait for him. In November he even started handing out loyalty cards (a stamp card that gets you a free shine after every X visits). I have found the quality to be excellent and go there frequently - perhaps it is worth a second try for you.

 

Actually, maybe stay away and keep my queue short :) 

post #20 of 26
Didn't get those. How many shoe shine 'boys' are there at Burlington?
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Didn't get those. How many shoe shine 'boys' are there at Burlington?

At least two that I've noticed. I had a fairly average shine from one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winot View Post

There's a French guy called Marc who does shoeshine at lunchtimes next to Bow church on Cheapside (a 2 min walk from Bank). £3.50 a pop...

I used to go to this guy from time to time, he was good. Had both kiwi and saphir (for an extra 50p or something). The first time I went he took one glance at my shoes (edward greens as I recall) and got the saphir out before I'd said a word - made me think he knew what's what. He asked about them and seemed genuinely interested in all things shoe.
post #22 of 26
I must have had tough luck and gotten the shoeshine 'boy' who wasn't so adept. If it helps anybody the guy had long hair.
post #23 of 26
They probably have the capability to create beautiful shines... just not the time. However, I wasn't encouraged when the Burlington Arcade bloke asked how I polished my shoes. He wrote down the list of Saphir products I used. Wonder if he acted on it..

The Shoe Snob bloke (Gieves & Hawkes) is intelligent and well informed. Polishing is just a part of what he does. Also sells flat leather laces smile.gif

I reckon Style Forum is partly responsible for the availability of Saphir in the the UK. I recently spoke to a cobbler in Chelsea, and he shifted a shed load of the stuff as soon as it arrived.

-H
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post

I reckon Style Forum is partly responsible for the availability of Saphir in the the UK. I recently spoke to a cobbler in Chelsea, and he shifted a shed load of the stuff as soon as it arrived.
-H

We're responsible for a lot more than that...I remember speaking to a chap at a party (he started writing things on a napkin) as he was forming up ideas for a new menswear website, something porter, and then lo and behold that site was launched with a lot of my brand suggestions.

There's a lot of industry types lurking here, you know.
post #25 of 26
Told on my visit today the guy at London Hilton shoeshine is visiting Sergio boss of Saphir in Barcelona in two weeks to tie up a sponsorship deal
Shoeshine has gone up a level from old Kiwi days.
Did some investigation guy at Burlington uses a rebranded chinese wax called top shine oh dear :0(
Any shoeshine in that arcade would be popular but dont mean its good take my word for it.
Look how popular mcdonalds is for example
Hilton or Gieves for me nobody else can touch them.
Check both of there twitter accounts
@shoeshineuk
@theshoesnob84

Pure class new york cant touch them
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeguide View Post

Told on my visit today the guy at London Hilton shoeshine is visiting Sergio boss of Saphir in Barcelona in two weeks to tie up a sponsorship deal
Shoeshine has gone up a level from old Kiwi days.
Did some investigation guy at Burlington uses a rebranded chinese wax called top shine oh dear :0(
Any shoeshine in that arcade would be popular but dont mean its good take my word for it.
Look how popular mcdonalds is for example
Hilton or Gieves for me nobody else can touch them.
Check both of there twitter accounts
@shoeshineuk
@theshoesnob84

Pure class new york cant touch them

A Shine & Co has opened our first Manhattan location, in the Chelsea Market on 9th Ave between 15th and 16th streets. We have been specializing in shoeshine since 1996. At over 17 years in business, with a robust base of return clientele, we are in a unique position to see how our shines "behave" over time. When you get a shoeshine from us, our techniques and products are the result of our ongoing vigilant improvement based on our direct experience. Our new Manhattan location exclusively uses the Saphir shoe care line, with expert application by experienced shiners. To say that we are conscientious about not doing anything to shoes that would cause damage, leave build up, or otherwise compromise the integrity and appearance of the shoes' natural finish, would be an understatement. Recently, having worked briefly with Franco Gazzani of Bontoni shoes, we have been specially endorsed to care for their gorgeous hand-painted finishes, as well as being endorsed for many years by Mr. William Boehlke of A Suitable Wardrobe, who personally hired us to showcase the Saphir Medaille Dor line at the Style Forum 10th anniversary party in San Francisco. While there is a long history of awful shoeshining in NYC, we have arrived to offer the discerning New York gentleman a truly elevated experience of shoe care. With humble pride we would like to say, "Oh, yes, we can touch them."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Shine in London