• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slam Magazine's 50 Best NBA Players

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.slamonline.com/online/the...he-new-top-50/

Here is Slam magazine's NBA Top 50 of all time:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Bill Russell
4. Shaquille O'neal
5. Oscar Robertson
6. Magic Johnson
7. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
8. Tim Duncan
9. Larry Bird
10. Jerry West
11. Elgin Baylor
12. Kobe Bryant
13. Hakeem Olajuwon
14. Bob Pettit
15. Julius Erving
16. Moses Malone
17. John Havlicek
18. Karl Malone
19. Isiah Thomas
20. Charles Barkley
21. Rick Barry
22. John Stockton
23. Elvin Hayes
24. Bob Cousy
25. David Robinson
26. Kevin McHale
27. Scottie Pippen
28. Jason Kidd
29. George Mikan
30. Kevin Garnett
31. Willis Reed
32. Wes Unseld
33. Nate Thurmond
34. Dolph Schayes
35. Walt Frazier
36. Patrick Ewing
37. Jerry Lucas
38. Gary Payton
39. Allen Iverson
40. Billy Cunningham
41. Clyde Drexler
42. LeBron James
43. Dominique Wilkins
44. Dave Cowens
45. George Gervin
46. Bob McAdoo
47. Earl Monroe
48. Dennis Rodman
49. Walt Bellamy
50. Steve Nash

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nash? How.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen everyone of them play live except Dolph Schayes!

As a kid, I remember watching NBA doubleheaders in the uptown Madison Square Garden.

Those were the days. Since I was a kid, I don't remember if they sold out the doubleheaders. The league was very different then.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
LeBron should be a lot higher than 42.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate these questions cause there is NO WAY to compare these guys.

Check it, Bob Pettit was 6'9 and 215 and dominated the league...in 1954! Playing against 8 teams of wimpy ass white dudes. His 20k points is inflated by playing in a rag tag startup league. He wouldnt be **** today or even in the 80's or 70's.

Lots of legends on that list but someone please make a real list. Todays game; players in their prime. Jordan would still be 1, then ??? Kobe, LBJ, Magic, Wilt? Dudes like George Mikan and Dolph Schayes wouldnt even play. *******, I digress

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
where's Reggie Miller? and Bird's just #9?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Nash? How.

I've got more of an issue with Kidd at 28. At least Nash can shoot. Actually, I love Nash and how he runs an offense so I have no qualms with him being there. The MVP awards speak for itself too. Kobe will be top 10 in a year or two as well. Granted, ranking the best players regardless of position is subjective at best anyways.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
I've got more of an issue with Kidd at 28. At least Nash can shoot. Actually, I love Nash and how he runs an offense so I have no qualms with him being there. The MVP awards speak for itself too. Kobe will be top 10 in a year or two as well. Granted, ranking the best players regardless of position is subjective at best anyways.

The team Nash left improved and went on the finals the next season. Somewhere Nash has never been. Did you read the reasoning for Kidd's addition? Seems bullet proof to me.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kareem should be above Oscar and Shaq. I think he gets downgraded in peoples minds because he played so long and he gets remembered for the bald golem he was at the end. He was an absolute force in his prime and was a perhaps the 2nd most dominant winner from high school to the pros after Bill Russell.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
I've got more of an issue with Kidd at 28. At least Nash can shoot. Actually, I love Nash and how he runs an offense so I have no qualms with him being there. The MVP awards speak for itself too...

What the? Kidd had arguably the best court vision since MJ. At his best, he was a far superior PG to Nash. The man can't even run a half court set FFS and has never had a clue on D.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Kareem should be above Oscar and Shaq. I think he gets downgraded in peoples minds because he played so long and he gets remembered for the bald golem he was at the end. He was an absolute force in his prime and was a perhaps the 2nd most dominant winner from high school to the pros after Bill Russell.

YES!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
where's Reggie Miller? and Bird's just #9?
Miller's not worthy of the top 50. Top 50 all time clutch shooters? Definitely. He was a defensive liability even during his prime.
Kidd is 28th best person to have played in the NBA? Say that out loud and you'll realize how rediculous it sounds.
Originally Posted by Baron
Absolutely. The Dream was dominant.
Originally Posted by acidicboy
YES!
^See Some other adjustments: Dropping - Robinson, Ewing, Iverson, Garnett, and McHale Rising - Pippen, Reed, Payton, Wilkins, and Gervin

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bill Simmons I think does a top 100 all time list in his NBA book that's coming out later in the year. I'm curious to see his rankings.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's Bob Lanier? Walt Bellamy rates him? Barkley should be higher as well. Malone was a finisher off of passes from Nash similar to Worthy and Magic. Those forwards couldn't create squat. McHale and Charles were much better screw the points. Wish Doc was higher but I understand. I have lists from the 70's up to present and it's funny how Doc surpassed Elgin for years and now he is back under him. I heard Petit was a horse. Where's Bernard King and DT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads