or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate) - Page 17

post #241 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKK3450 View Post
I didn't say they were good chefs. In fact, I would venture that most working chefs are not good, but rather just assembly workers who crank out someone elses dishes.

K

(I dont limit the use to head / exec / etc chef here)

Yea I think that's true of any line of work. Anyone can call themselves a chef, including the people overseeing the cooking at cafeterias, banquet halls and crappy restaurants. But, any real chef knows how to taste, and that's why people make the distinction between regular food and fine dining. I'm not talking about the average run of the mill restaurant most ordinary people dress up for and think is nice, I'm mostly concerned with the real culinary establishments.
post #242 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Yea I think that's true of any line of work. Anyone can call themselves a chef, including the people overseeing the cooking at cafeterias, banquet halls and crappy restaurants. But, any real chef knows how to taste, and that's why people make the distinction between regular food and fine dining. I'm not talking about the average run of the mill restaurant most ordinary people dress up for and think is nice, I'm mostly concerned with the real culinary establishments.

Has anyone here on SF tasted your food? You don't have to tell us where you cook if you don't want to.
post #243 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I'm mostly concerned with the real culinary establishments.

Can you list some places you consider "real culinary establishments?"
post #244 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen View Post
Can you list some places you consider "real culinary establishments?"

On this continent; Bernardin, Alinea, Trotter's, Jean-Jorges, Essex House when it existed...
post #245 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
Has anyone here on SF tasted your food? You don't have to tell us where you cook if you don't want to.

It's quite possible, I don't know the dining habits of the people here.
post #246 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
It's quite possible, I don't know the dining habits of the people here.
I thought you were generally pretty involved in foodie and restaurants threads.
post #247 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
I thought you were generally pretty involved in foodie and restaurants threads.

Yes but I don't know who has eaten where and when. If I knew those things I could tell you if you are likely to have ever eaten something I had a hand in.
post #248 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
On this continent; Bernardin, Alinea, Trotter's, Jean-Jorges, Essex House when it existed...

I used to think this way as well, but I've slowly grown out of it
post #249 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen View Post
I used to think this way as well, but I've slowly grown out of it

Congratulations. I realize that you prefer to cook out of a truck, but that isn't what I like. I'm sure we don't think alike and I don't really care, but for my conception of food and what I enjoy doing, those are some of the establishments I think are a good benchmark.
post #250 of 287
I never realized how much I missed SField until now.

As a side note, what's with the Chinese cuisine apologists? 'My step-father is Chinese and I can't even make what he makes so that means Chinese food is amazing' was
post #251 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Congratulations. I realize that you prefer to cook out of a truck, but that isn't what I like. I'm sure we don't think alike and I don't really care, but for my conception of food and what I enjoy doing, those are some of the establishments I think are a good benchmark.

Good luck. It's clear from your responses in this thread and your general attitude that you're very close-minded when it comes to food.

If you're referring to my former company - Nothing is "cooked" out of a truck. If you had any understanding of the business, you'd know that they are putting out similar food, using the same purveyors and ingredients, and utilizing the same techniques the same as those in the "real culinary establishments."
post #252 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen View Post
Good luck. It's clear from your responses in this thread and your general attitude that you're very close-minded when it comes to food.

If you're referring to my former company - Nothing is "cooked" out of a truck. If you had any understanding of the business, you'd know that they are putting out similar food, using the same purveyors and ingredients, and utilizing the same techniques the same as those in the "real culinary establishments."

I know exactly what you do. I didn't criticize your food. But, there is a certain kind of experience that I like. Yes I like street food and yes I like casual eating but I also really enjoy the classical (and in the cases of some restaurants like Alinea), a modified version of classic fine dining. That doesn't make me at all closed minded, it means that when I am thinking about and talking about fine dining, I have a list of priorities in my mind. I'd say 80% of the meals I eat are not in these kinds of places, so quite clearly I'm as open minded about food as anyone. I eat in places that cost $20 or under for a meal many times a week, so I don't know where you're comming from.
post #253 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Yea I think that's true of any line of work. Anyone can call themselves a chef, including the people overseeing the cooking at cafeterias, banquet halls and crappy restaurants. But, any real chef knows how to taste, and that's why people make the distinction between regular food and fine dining. I'm not talking about the average run of the mill restaurant most ordinary people dress up for and think is nice, I'm mostly concerned with the real culinary establishments.

No, I was also including most people who work at "real culinary establishments". The majority of those people have no input in creating the dishes or the menu (or understanding the customers who eat there), they just crank out what a head chef / chef de cuisine / etc tells them to make. They taste their food, and can do so well enough to produce consistent dishes (using classic techniques) which adhere to the recipe, but it doesn't mean that are developing dishes that taste good.

In contrast, I would say that there are also less trained chefs at "run of the mill" or lower places who are much more in touch with the food that they are serving and the customers who are eating it. They create dishes which appeal to their audience and are probably more adept at developing flavours and textures than some chefs at higher end places.

Somehow in popular culture the job of chef has been elevated and put on some pedestal. In reality, the majority of "chefs", regardless of "real culinary establishment" or not, are merely semi-skilled assembly line workers.

Note, I'm not trying to put down chefs at higher priced restaurants. I just think that the world of food is too wide, varied, and subjective to try and pick such specific benchmarks. Plus, there is much more to the job than the palate.

K

(this isnt only in response to your post, but also a general commentary)
post #254 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
On this continent; Bernardin, Alinea, Trotter's, Jean-Jorges, Essex House when it existed...

I would not, and cannot, make a blanket statement about "ethnic foods that [I'm] supposed to like...." There are some ingredients, flavors and techniques I dislike; I avoid cuisines that focus on these.

What I truly dislike are the "Church of Food" types of places like those you have listed here. It's the obsessing that gets to me - chefs and food critics obsessed with perfect technique, foodies obsessed with going to the "must-go" places. I find it all both baffling and boring.

Do I have my own obsessions? Of course. Do others find my obsessions baffling and/or dull? Of course.

You may now return to your regularly-scheduled pontificating.

post #255 of 287
Sfield, name some places where you eaten for less $20. The places you named are to put it plainly "damn expensive". These places are for most people a verrrrrry special occasion place at best or at worst, once in a lifetime place. I don't think the average person would frequent these places on a regular basis because of the $$$$ price tag.

Also, let everyone know on a given ordinary day, what you eat? Also name a junk food that you crave!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)