or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate) - Page 14

post #196 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
No one has bashed on food deemed to be Hawaiian yet. Outside of kaluha pork, which is pretty simple stuff, not much I can recommend. Poi? Lau laus? I mean, Portugese sausage =! Hawaiian IMO. Even a musubi is Japanese derived. Spam?

Soy sauce on the Spam?
post #197 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post
Soy sauce on the Spam?

If we're doing a spam musubi, we use Yoshida Sauce, not shoyu.

Spam is the adopted state meat of Hawaii. Hard to call it "Hawaiian" though is my point.
post #198 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
The Russians don't exactly have a great culinary tradition. Thank socialism for that. I've only been to a single russian restaurant, and it was probably more french than russian. I had some sort of salad with warmed goat cheese, a really dense pate de foie gras , and pine nuts. Also had wild boar with some sort of berry sauce. My date had a fair amount of seafood, including caviar and smoked salmon. There were more traditional items on the menu, but what we had seemed like it would be more tasty.

Anyway, I hate sushi. The idea of eating raw fish is disgusting to me. I don't eat seafood in general though.

No they don't but we got caviar from them, and of course Russian service. That's by far their biggest contribution to how we in the west eat in restaurants.
post #199 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by level32 View Post
Fujiian food seems to me lightly prepared seafood and a shitload of sweet and sour stuff, at least from my limitied exposure to it when visiting family.

I stopped in Beijing and totally understand Eason's hatred for Chinese food. Though you'd think the capital would be the home to culinary excellence, it's like the complete opposite. Beijing's culinary history is terrible due to the availibilty of produce and ingredients back in the day. Too bad these days it's not getting any better.

With that said, I certainly stand by the food of certain southern parts of China.


People told me about the incredible duck but frankly I've had better duck prepared by a 90 year old italian lady in a hole in a wall restaurant than in Beijing. I went to that very famous duck place and it was quite good though. I just expected something more.
post #200 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
No one has bashed on food deemed to be Hawaiian yet. Outside of kaluha pork, which is pretty simple stuff, not much I can recommend. Poi? Lau laus? I mean, Portugese sausage =! Hawaiian IMO. Even a musubi is Japanese derived. Spam?


Yeah hawaiian food is kinda funny.
post #201 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
I took my girlfriend to have indian food with me last night. She'd never had it before, but she hated everything. She says she knows it's wierd, but she has a mental block about indian food because she knows Indian people are so dirty, so the food must be really dirty as well and it just disgusts her. I was like "WTF, Indian people are dirty? Then what are Chinese people? The cook who looks you in the eye while he picks his nose, never washing any of the produce, all the pesticides we eat, all the bugs you find in your food, the hairs, the guy at the restaurant you still like to eat at who dropped the chicken wing on the street, brushed it off, re-seasoned it, and then served it? They're fucking cleaner than Indians?"


dont tell me this is true about china.

ive seen some fresh off the boat chinese people here act in some really self-centered rude ways like in front of everybody in public like it was no big deal. i did not know this was extended to how the culture is there.
post #202 of 287
Eason, you are chinese right? Cantonese by any chance?

Here is my take. There are certain posters here that have extreme levels of taste. In other words, it would be impossible to truly please them. What I find odd and also the same with all these people this. Let me use a fashion example. If you notice, many top designers walk out after a runway show wearing a t-shirt and Levi 501s. This is the same with a few posters here.

Here are the facts..... If I am French, I don't have to like all of French cuisine.... If I am Chinese(which I am), I don't have to like all of Chinese cuisine. The same goes for any other cuisine. It is your right to like and love certain dishes but hate with a vengeance some other dish from the same cuisine. It even could be the same ingredients cooked a different way that repulses you. As a whole, I enjoy british food because I find it hearty fair. But pickled herring, marmite etc... that is some bad stuff. I enjoy japanese food and love natto..... some japanese can't stand natto. Some chinese love preserved tofu.... I think it's gross. So it's up to the individual and individual dishes. I just can't stand the snobbery that people bring to some of these posts.

By the way, the really one true refined chinese cuisine and distinctive is cantonese. Other style of chinese cuisine while has their bright points, but are really all basically spicy and oily(Not totally true but a good generalization). I hope others chinese members of this forum can help elaborate more.
post #203 of 287
I really don't agree with the OP's views on either Mexican or Chinese food (two cuisines I loveeee). I've travelled a fair amount and all over Asia. I also made it a point to take a lot of food photos since so much of the stuff is stuff I've never had despite eating Asian food so frequently in North America. Here are some photos I took while in China that quite debunk the OP's judgment of Chinese food as being all just sloppily thrown together with a bunch of oil and no regard for taste (what crock). Also, all of these photos highlight traditional ways of Chinese cooking (steaming, stir frying, deep frying--that bloomin' onion-esque fish was SO good, boiling, grilling--grilled street lamb meat is PHENOMENAL!, and et cetera). (Things to note in the image: that pile of chili peppers is Szechuan style cooking; notice the little tiny scorpions among the chilis--they were excellent; bottom right is some shrimp dish I had in Shanghai that was hands down the best shrimp Ive ever had in my LIFE--there is some oil for sure, but seriously whatever--I'd eat that every day; middle col rows 1 & 3 highlight some traditional Chinese preparation of steamed fish--really excellent; top right is a papaya with some sort of frog reproductive organs in a sweet tapiocay soup hehe; 1st col 2nd row is a traditional Beijing/northern noodle dish called "zha jiang mien" with some fermented bean paste and fresh & pickled veggies that was just amazing texturally and taste-wise and for < $1 USD. Bottom middle is a photo of a very typical Chinese fast food establishment of pick-your-own hotpot ingredients. Man I miss China!) Seriously, if I could only eat one type of food for the rest of my life, I'd have to go with Chinese just because within Chinese cooking there is so much variety (ranging from the dumplings of the north to seafood of the southeast to the spicy & sweet of the southwest where much of Thai food and Chinese food share origins) that I couldn't imagine getting bored with it; it's rather a pity that American Chinese food sucks. One thing that Chinese food does suck at is dessert. Sorry, but sweet bean paste is just not on the same level as chocolate souffle.
post #204 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitMan009 View Post
Eason, you are chinese right? Cantonese by any chance? Here is my take. There are certain posters here that have extreme levels of taste. In other words, it would be impossible to truly please them. What I find odd and also the same with all these people this. Let me use a fashion example. If you notice, many top designers walk out after a runway show wearing a t-shirt and Levi 501s. This is the same with a few posters here. Here are the facts..... If I am French, I don't have to like all of French cuisine.... If I am Chinese(which I am), I don't have to like all of Chinese cuisine. The same goes for any other cuisine. It is your right to like and love certain dishes but hate with a vengeance some other dish from the same cuisine. It even could be the same ingredients cooked a different way that repulses you. As a whole, I enjoy british food because I find it hearty fair. But pickled herring, marmite etc... that is some bad stuff. I enjoy japanese food and love natto..... some japanese can't stand natto. Some chinese love preserved tofu.... I think it's gross. So it's up to the individual and individual dishes. I just can't stand the snobbery that people bring to some of these posts. By the way, the really one true refined chinese cuisine and distinctive is cantonese. Other style of chinese cuisine while has their bright points, but are really all basically spicy and oily(Not totally true but a good generalization). I hope others chinese members of this forum can help elaborate more.
I'm actually European, I just grew up with a lot of Chinese people. I do admit that I have a high level of taste, I'm a bit of a "foodie" and I enjoy cooking. Enjoying meals out is a big part of my enjoyment of life, so when there isn't something that can really satisfy me, it gnaws at me.
post #205 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
I'm actually European, I have a high level of taste. I'm a bit of a "foodie" and I enjoy cooking. Enjoying meals out isn't something that can really satisfy me, it gnaws at me.
FTFY you Eurotrash elitist!
post #206 of 287
^^^ nonsense, I've enjoyed a hot dog at 3am covered in fresh mustard, onions, and relish, that's high cuisine!
post #207 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
^^^ nonsense, I've enjoyed a hot dog at 3am covered in fresh mustard, onions, and relish, that's high cuisine!

No cream cheese? Rookie.
post #208 of 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snob View Post
...that pile of chili peppers is Szechuan style cooking; notice the little tiny scorpions among the chilis--they were excellent...

I love trying new and unusual foods but have always thought I'd draw the line at bugs. If someone put that in front of me, though, I would eat it; it looks fantastic.
post #209 of 287
well, you probably haven't had enoug Chinese food then. Chinese food is such a generic term, it's like Western food in Asia? What does that mean, that means lump French/Italian/American/German/ and whatever else is cooked by someone other than Asian into one big pile. The difference in Chinese food between each region is as different as French vs. Italian, German vs. Polish, you got a lot more to try before you can dismiss the Chinese food in its entirity.
post #210 of 287
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snob View Post
I really don't agree with the OP's views on either Mexican or Chinese food (two cuisines I loveeee).



If you were capable of reading, you'd have caught that I conceeded that well prepared Chinese food is excellent (which goes for virtually everything. Good produce+good technique will always = good food - too bad that 99% of the time, Chinese food = shitty produce + shitty or no technique).

Look at the photos you presented. Look at the fucking plating in a few of the dishes. Look at the knife skills. If you can seriously tell someone that that is the average level of Chinese food one will get throughout China or on the North American continent then I will be utterly gobsmacked. As I said before, I had good food in Shanghai and HK, but these were Chinese flavours prepared with classic French technique. I'll bet that the flavors were well balanced and the produce was fresh. Not qualities one will generally find in Chinese food, and this is acknowledged by most Chinese people I know.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Ethnic foods you're supposed to like (but hate)