or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Anime/Manga (recommend me some?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anime/Manga (recommend me some?) - Page 6

post #76 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Hana Yori Dango
This was turned into a Korean drama which is super popular. I've never read or had much of an interest in it as I don't really read graphic novels. I just like this particular one because the name is a word play on a Japanese proverb. Maison Ikkoku is another one I'm familiar with bet never read (nor watched the animation).
post #77 of 97
A cat is fine too.
post #78 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
This was turned into a Korean drama which is super popular. I've never read or had much of an interest in it as I don't really read graphic novels.

I just like this particular one because the name is a word play on a Japanese proverb.

Maison Ikkoku is another one I'm familiar with bet never read (nor watched the animation).

As well-regarded Rumiko Takahashi is, all of her stuff boils down to: Hapless guy stuck in potential romantic situation, then hijinks ensue as situation gets misinterpreted over and over again. Repeat for 50 goddamn volumes. She's a total hack. Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, One Pound Gospel... pretty much the same shit. Them kids loved Inu Yasha. I'm not going to bother.

Naoki Yamamoto did a mature take on the Takahashi formula called Dance 'Till Tomorrow that was released by Viz internationally. It's far better, mostly because Yamamoto is a solid storyteller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
A cat is fine too.

post #79 of 97
you are number one in my rape list Nananine
post #80 of 97
Any more Slice of Life recommendations?

My favourites so far:

-Full Metal Panic Fummoffu, plus the non mecha episodes sifted into the regular series
-Welcome to the NHK
-Nana
-Golden Boy
post #81 of 97
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nananine View Post
They are, save for bitching about individual companies (Tokyopop is a common target).

I find a lot of their complains about Tokyopop valid, they pull some dumb shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor View Post
Any more Slice of Life recommendations?

My favourites so far:

-Full Metal Panic Fummoffu, plus the non mecha episodes sifted into the regular series
-Welcome to the NHK
-Nana
-Golden Boy

Azumanga Daioh, if that's your thing.

(Wow I can't believe I managed to spell that right the first try after all this time).
post #82 of 97
Anyone like Hikaru No Go? I love playing go, but I haven't read/seen this series so I'd like to know if it's worth my time/money.
post #83 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Anyone like Hikaru No Go? I love playing go, but I haven't read/seen this series so I'd like to know if it's worth my time/money.
Anime - No. Manga - Yes. Only if you into Go (game) . I lost interest very fast since i don't know how it works. If you want something different. Claymore is pretty good. It's manga still on going. The anime series is loaded with famous female voice actresses through the industry
post #84 of 97
Mmm OK, thanks. I just checked some youtube clips, and it looks a little too Yu-gi-oh but that is probably why you said no on the anime and yes on the manga for me.
post #85 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor View Post
Any more Slice of Life recommendations? My favourites so far: -Full Metal Panic Fummoffu, plus the non mecha episodes sifted into the regular series -Welcome to the NHK -Nana -Golden Boy
Hey, I've been a slice of life manga kick lately. Everything by the author of Nana is solid. Anything in the semi-French influenced La Nouvelle Manga movement is great... Blue by Kiriko Nananan (a minimalist lesbian romance), A Patch of Dreams by Hideji Oda, but in particular Doing Time by Kazuichi Hanawa which documents the author's imprisonment for possession of explosives. I just read an EXCELLENT graphic novel called Solanin by Asano Inio about ex-musician young adults attempting to navigate everyday life in Tokyo. It's a gorgeous story with gorgeous art. The apparent king of slice of life manga is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, but I haven't read it yet.
post #86 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macallan9 View Post


Quote:


Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post

Death Note is the best. Head and shoulders above most films (let alone anime) that I've seen in years.


Will also recommend Monster, a psychological thriller.





+1 How has Death Note not been mentioned until page 3? I don't even like anime/manga, and death note is awesome.

k, just binged through all 37 episodes of Death Note on YouTube. Really enjoyed it.

Several people have recommended Monster and Code Gaess to me if I dug on DN, which I did.

So I'll check them out.
post #87 of 97
It took you three years?!
post #88 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nananine View Post

It took you three years?!

pfft... yah, lol

There so many shows playing catch up on lately w/ more in the queue!
post #89 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post


Quote:


Originally Posted by Fuuma

Hana Yori Dango


This was turned into a Korean drama which is super popular. I've never read or had much of an interest in it as I don't really read graphic novels. I just like this particular one because the name is a word play on a Japanese proverb. Maison Ikkoku is another one I'm familiar with bet never read (nor watched the animation).
The Jdrama version was way better IMO but then again I am not a fond of Koreans dramas to begin with.

Claymore manga is awesome!

Who else is currently watching Sword Art Online right now?icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #90 of 97
Here are some great series/movies to watch that I didn't see mentioned:


Drama:
Clannad
Nodame Cantable
Honey and Clover
Beck
Kimagure Orange Road
Kare Kano
Please Save My Earth
Voices of a Distant Star
The Place Promised in Our Early Days


Scifi/Supernatura themed drama:
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Bakemonogatari
FLCL
Natsume Yuujinchou
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Haibane Renmei
PlanetES

Horror:
Shiki
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Mononoke

Comedy:
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Hare+Guu (Hale+Guu)
Welcome to NHK

Action:
Escaflowne
Durarara
Twelve Kingdoms
Red Garden
Eureka Seven
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars


Some of these can fall under multiple genres.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Anime/Manga (recommend me some?)