or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Perfect or imperfect fits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Perfect or imperfect fits

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
I'm going to get some flack for this, but I think that anti, or imperfect fits are, in some cases, better than a perfect fitting garment, especially in streetwear. I'm not saying that the fit should be attrocious, or that everything should be antifit, but I find that an outfit is often more visually interesting if at least one element is a little off.

Jackets and tees are my two exceptions. I think it should fit as well as possible. However, I really like jeans that are just a tad too loose. And while I like the nearly perfect fit of my Spruce and Edun hoodies, I really like the boxy, short silhouette of my 6876 hoodie and the fit of my The Cast hoodies (really Lee 50/50's), which do not fit nearly as well objectively, but seem a little less "designer" and a little more "authentic" (as if that word means anything anymore.) Of course, this works a lot better if you are in good physical condition and reasonably slim, but nevertheless.

Does any of this resonate with anyone, or am I out in the wilderness here?
post #2 of 30
I think you hit on something when you talked about being in good physical condition. I think that if everything else is well-fitted and a person is in good shape, then having one item in an outfit be a little purposefully "anti-fit" can add an interesting twist. My own aesthetic usually tends towards a more fitted, lean, minimalist look, so I have a harder time pulling it off than some people, but it can look very well-done on the right person.
post #3 of 30
I would have to agree with you in the case of "street wear" or casual wear. Of course jeans are even purposely designed anti-fit. From both spectrums. You got the new nut-hugger slim to super baggy. Look at steven alan who has done this with the dress shirt a bit. And yes you have to be in shape for this not to be sloppy. I actually buy certain jeans in different sizes for this effect. I think you can look too polished. Don't the Japanese have a word or something for this?
post #4 of 30
If they are not perfect, aren't implants a possibility?
post #5 of 30
Whe I first read the title of this thread, I thought it said "Perfect or imperfect tits."

Dammit, Matt beat me by like 10 seconds.
post #6 of 30
I agree. I thought the point of a lot of streetwear - jeans, hoodies, etc. - is that they do not fit like a proper suit.
post #7 of 30
For jeans, I think it really depends on the cut. Some jeans, esp. slimmer jeans, just look awful when they're too big (imo). Other jeans, more relaxed ones, can look quite good when worn a bit big. I absolutely require my hoodies to be slim- and form-fitting and can't stand baggy hoodies.
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelakes
Don't the Japanese have a word or something for this?
Wabi-sabi? I don't totally agree, but I do think loose-fitting jeans have their place. I like my RR for just that reason. Also, a good look is slim top and baggy bottoms. The opposite does not seem to work at all.
post #9 of 30
If the categories are perfect vs imperfect, it is certainly true that imperfections (in fit, fabric, etc) add visual interest to an ensemble.

However, I still think that looking good is the objective. (As opposed to looking cool, as LA Guy has expressed on a number of occasions when we have had this conversation.)
post #10 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
If the categories are perfect vs imperfect, it is certainly true that imperfections (in fit, fabric, etc) add visual interest to an ensemble.

However, I still think that looking good is the objective. (As opposed to looking cool, as LA Guy has expressed on a number of occasions when we have had this conversation.)

LA Guy respectfully disagrees with LA Gal. In fact, LA Guy believes that LA Gal (i.e. Jen) fails to recognize that "looking cool" is a subset of "looking good", and that "attractiveness" and "perfection" are not synonymous.
post #11 of 30
I'm inclined to agree with LA Guy against LA Gal. I can't think of anyone I've ever seen who "looked cool" who did not thereby also "look good", though the opposite is not true. If you look cool, you automatically look good.
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
LA Guy respectfully disagrees with LA Gal. In fact, LA Guy believes that LA Gal (i.e. Jen) fails to recognize that "looking cool" is a subset of "looking good", and that "attractiveness" and "perfection" are not synonymous.
This is inconsistent with your prior statements, in which you have said that sometimes the point of looking cool is not looking good (ie, the complement of looking good has a nontrivial intersection with looking cool...ergo it cannot be a subset) To give a concrete example, I think that your low-slung RRs look good, but the bunched up neckline of your Retrofamosa Our Lady of Guadalupe sweatshirt does not look so good. This would add visual interest with a slim pair of Jeans (APC maybe) but is too bunchy with the Corpus or RR. I have to admit, though, I sort of like it that you don't listen to me about such things.
post #13 of 30
Depends on the person I guess. The visual contrasts between fitted top and loose bottom (to broadly generalize) has always been a hit or miss in my book. I tend to prefer slim all along because I'm short. !luc
post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
This is inconsistent with your prior statements, in which you have said that sometimes the point of looking cool is not looking good (ie, the complement of looking good has a nontrivial intersection with looking cool...ergo it cannot be a subset)

To give a concrete example, I think that your low-slung RRs look good, but the bunched up neckline of your Retrofamosa Our Lady of Guadalupe sweatshirt does not look so good. This would add visual interest with a slim pair of Jeans (APC maybe) but is too bunchy with the Corpus or RR.

I have to admit, though, I sort of like it that you don't listen to me about such things.

Since any further comment on my part will result in a less than satistfactory viewing of "Must See Thursday", I will refrain from commenting at this time.
post #15 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Depends on the person I guess. The visual contrasts between fitted top and loose bottom (to broadly generalize) has always been a hit or miss in my book. I tend to prefer slim all along because I'm short.

!luc

I agree that not all silhouettes work for all people, but the point of my original post was that a bit of Wabi-sabi, to use a gratuitous foreign language phrase, creates a more interesting effect than perfection, which I find visually sterile. In the Sartorialist's blog, for example, I generally much prefer the picture of models on break in "civvies", the "Old Man Style" photos, or the streetwear photos, to the perfectly coiffed, impeccably dressed guys (usually outfitted either in ridiculously expensive casualwear or in suits) he sometimes photographs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Perfect or imperfect fits