• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Blazers and Buttons?

ralphandricky1967

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the classic navy blazer? Single vent, dual vent, ticket pocket, metal buttons, monogram buttons, or horn buttons? I would love to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ralphandricky1967
What are your thoughts on the classic navy blazer? Single vent, dual vent, ticket pocket, metal buttons, monogram buttons, or horn buttons? I would love to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

Metal buttons work for me.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
My impression, here in the US at least, is that people tend to go for the single-vented, brass button variety. I have not personally scene a navy blazer with ticket pockets, but will definitely be on the lookout now.

I have mine with dual vents and monogrammed silver buttons. However, I am beginnning to think that navy blazers with horn buttons in subdued colours are more versatile, and can be more easily dressed down than the ones with brass, silver or metal buttons. The only downside about horn buttons in my opinion is that it's more difficult to tell whether you are wearing a navy blazer, or the top part of a suit.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classic look is with metal buttons, and I often side with the classic, but in this case I prefer horn buttons.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely abstain from the ticket pocket. Patch pockets are advisable. If you don't want to go with metal buttons, horn buttons in grey/black are more traditional than the recently popular brown. Italians sometimes use blue buttons, but they look too suit-y to me. Mother-of-pearl or trocas buttons are nice for luminous summer blazers. If you do want to go with metal buttons, anything other than silver or gold seems like a bit of a cop-out, but maybe that's just me. Between these two I prefer silver: it is more dressy, and I like the way in which it ages. I haven't got strong views on the vents issue.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree that ticket pockets are just not "right" for a blazer. In deference to its nautical /club origins, it's just not meant for riding trains.

To my notion, horn buttons of any kind turn the jacket into a sport coat, not a true blazer.

Personally, I like double-vents, patch pockets and enamelled buttons, but that's just my taste.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I like dual vent, patch pockets, and MOP or plain matte-finish metal (silver or brass) buttons.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like double-vents and flapped pockets. For buttons, enamel or gold-rimmed black metal.

brittain

Reaction score
my vote is for horn buttons and patch pockets. Ive never liked the metal buttons, although I suppose they are probably more authentic. I usually prefer dual vents, but I think for a blazer a single vent is just as good.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I have three blue blazers - one patch pocket, dual vent, three silver buttons; one flap pockets, single vent, two brass buttons; one cashmere with flap pockets, single vent, two horn buttons. Right now the first is worn the most, but I'll break out the others on occasion.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I faced the same dilemma and decided to go with two jackets:

1. dual vents, flap pockets and smoked silver buttons.

2. with dual vents, patch pockets and horn buttons.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My navy blazer has 2 very short vents, slash pockets, ticket pocket, 2 button, low button stance and dark grey horn buttons. Not a very classic blazer, but I had one with brass buttons and didn't like it.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have the buttons monogrammed, do you also have the monogram on the cuff buttons?

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
For those of you that have the buttons monogrammed, do you also have the monogram on the cuff buttons?

Yes.

ralphandricky1967

Reaction score
Cool. Great thread, thanks for the responses!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads