or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How about abolishing post count?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How about abolishing post count? - Page 3

post #31 of 60
I do refer to the post-count when perusing the buying and selling forum; it's a kind of crude heuristic device for helping me to decide whether to paypal money to someone I don't know via a mechanism with no buyer-protection. With that said, if some other way could be cooked up, that would be cool -- just bear in mind that it is a useful (albeit fallible) measure of reliability.
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
No, I found a good mechanic (he works on some of the WA State Patrol's BMW bikes) who works out of a home shop for $65/hr plus dealer parts prices or I can bring my own parts. This is absurdly cheap actually. Getting a new BMW bike serviced at the dealer is considerably more expensive.

What would you say the average yearly cost is to service / repair the bike?

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

Jon.
post #33 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor
I do refer to the post-count when perusing the buying and selling forum; it's a kind of crude heuristic device for helping me to decide whether to paypal money to someone I don't know via a mechanism with no buyer-protection.

With that said, if some other way could be cooked up, that would be cool -- just bear in mind that it is a useful (albeit fallible) measure of reliability.

Interesting observation, but if a member posts a lot, you will likely have seen a number of their posts anyway, and what they have to say will probably tell you more about them than how many posts they have made.

If the member name is unfamiliar, you could (I am making an assumption about the indexing and search engine here) do a search for posts by that member and possibly learn enough about them to make a decision that way.

Just my .02.
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Hear, hear. I know who you are talking about. He is the one and only reason I disabled the signature feature and I avoid his posts like a plaque.

plaque is easily avoidable, they have special toothpastes for this.

I guess I'm just in the blank as far as who has been posting random threads just to jack up their post-counts.

On the other hand, I do support the removal of post-counts overall.
post #35 of 60
I don't see what the big deal is. It's fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
post #36 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I don't see what the big deal is. It's fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Maybe you just don't notice it because you frequent the Streetwear forum (who can blame ya, we're all sexy beasts over there) than the main forum. I think I know who we're talking about. I don't support changing the forum settings for just one or two people, but I do think in general, that post counts shouldn't be displayed. I just don't like em.
post #37 of 60
Thread Starter 
Thank you for your opinions. As I've said before, the post count is not serving a purpose as it is, but has drawbacks. We could either: 1) Remove post count from thread display, leaving it only visible in the member info. Don't know if that would work as intended 2) Make only posting is the Men's Style section count. Then, post count would be a measure of how verbal you are in the subject of the forum. After all this is a StyleForum. How much you talk about your car is not really relevant. 3) Try the thingy J mentioned, the User Reputation system. 4) Hope that the fingerful either slows down, or ask J to impose a ceiling on his post count or even a global one. 5) Tell BjornH to mind his own business and get a life.
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I don't see what the big deal is. It's fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

You might have missed the thread in question, since it did thankfully get "disappeared" pretty fast, but I think the straw that broke the camels back occurred when a certain member that everyone seems to be referencing in this thread started a thread a few days ago in General Chat that was basically "Hey I'm starting this thread to increase my post count" and proceeded to post about 20 filler posts (I've had him on ignore for quite some time, so I didn't see all of them, but I remember one post only having one character in it) in the span of 10 minutes. It's not so much people saying "I think so and so posts more than some arbitrary fair share" as "blatantly spamming the board in the name of post count is stupid and annoying."
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybojs
You might have missed the thread in question, since it did thankfully get "disappeared" pretty fast, but I think the straw that broke the camels back occurred when a certain member that everyone seems to be referencing in this thread started a thread a few days ago in General Chat that was basically "Hey I'm starting this thread to increase my post count" and proceeded to post about 20 filler posts (I've had him on ignore for quite some time, so I didn't see all of them, but I remember one post only having one character in it) in the span of 10 minutes. It's not so much people saying "I think so and so posts more than some arbitrary fair share" as "blatantly spamming the board in the name of post count is stupid and annoying."

Thank you for the ignorance.

Jon.
post #40 of 60
Just because you post a lot, doesn't mean it's good in quality.
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
There is also the possibility of using the User Reputation system instead of post counts. I don't have much experience with it, but it helps identify respected members without referring to post count. I could look into setting that up.

Seems like an interesting system, though I don't much like popularity contests, especially formalized ones.

Personally, I think that there is no real problem that needs to be solved.
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Seems like an interesting system, though I don't much like popularity contests, especially formalized ones.

Personally, I think that there is no real problem that needs to be solved.
Unfortunately, this is exactly what rep systems are. They completely fucking suck. They're only of any use when the rep points actually carry some power and the community is sufficiently gigantic that knowing anyone is virtually impossible. So, basically, Slashdot, Fark, online deal sites, etc. And even those communities generally hate the systems they use. If someone's spamming, put his ass on read only for a few days and send Ken to kick his ass. Problem solved.
post #43 of 60
I think j laying down the law (and deleting egregious post-padding threads) should resolve any concerns. Plenty of precedent for banning a member based upon low signal-to-noise ratio. See Ernest v. StyleForum; Matter of Lazarillo.
post #44 of 60
I think it would be best if people could just realize that a high post count does not make you cooler. Good posts make you cooler. I'd much rather have a member with 100 good posts and no stupid ones than a member with 100 good posts and 4900 stupid ones.
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I think it would be best if people could just realize that a high post count does not make you cooler. Good posts make you cooler. I'd much rather have a member with 100 good posts and no stupid ones than a member with 100 good posts and 4900 stupid ones.

I hope everyone understands that I posted the "˜infamous post' as a joke since the whole post count thing was crazy...same goes with my signature.

I am making fun of that fact that I "˜worked' so hard to get my post count, by posting and not doing actual work, at work.

Jon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How about abolishing post count?