or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How about abolishing post count?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How about abolishing post count? - Page 2

post #16 of 60
Abolishing post count?!?!? This would be heresy over at AAAC... threads like this:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/F...TOPIC_ID=18597

are all over the place there. These types of posts are only second in number to the ones where the guys pat each other on the back for being gentlemen.
post #17 of 60
Who gives a frogs fat ass about how many posts someone has?

Eric
post #18 of 60
I voted no because the first thing I do when I log on is check Manton's post count to see if he has posted anything new (whether I agree or disagree with what he posts I always find his posts informative or interesting). My
$.02.
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328
Agreed. The only thing more tiring than reading hundreds of posts on rude shoe salesmen is reading hundreds of posts on having to get one's post count back up to some preset level. And then having that sentiment repeated in the message signature...

Hear, hear. I know who you are talking about. He is the one and only reason I disabled the signature feature and I avoid his posts like a plaque.
post #20 of 60
You know what's even more tiring than that? Stupid threads devoted to the subject. If this were Ask Andy and people were doing stupid Congratulations on X Insipid Posts! threads, I'd be all for it. Thankfully, that isn't happening.
post #21 of 60
I don't think SF would be any better. Every forum has a couple of those people.
post #22 of 60
I don't really care about the post counts. People on this board don't really "whore it up" like I've seen on some other boards. Most of the off-topic posts have some entertainment value (to me at least) and I think they add some flavor to the proceedings, and allow people to express their personalities.

Whether the post count is displayed or not, I think (and hope) this would not change.
post #23 of 60
Over there, it's a glorified tradition. People here generally seem to have a firmer grasp of reality. At least enough to realize how silly that shit is.
post #24 of 60
Yeah, seriously. I feel like way too many recent threads have been not-so-thinly-disguised spam solely for the sake of bumping up post count. Sure, it's only a few people at most in particular, but even with ignore on (thank god SF has this feature, though) it quickly gets annoying. I don't think we need to outright block post count, but some sort of official "cut the post count++ shit" message placed in the forum rules would be great. I didn't think there were people here who could have a lower content/post count ratio than Vaclav, but this past week or so has proved me wrong.
post #25 of 60
This isn't as bad as a lot of message boards, where the poster's counts are at 25,000, or some ungodly number.
post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Hear, hear. I know who you are talking about. He is the one and only reason I disabled the signature feature and I avoid his posts like a plaque.

Ahem! I was the only one that put my dismayed opinion regarding my former post count in my signature. Excuse me for being original...

Jon.
post #27 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dah328
Agreed. The only thing more tiring than reading hundreds of posts on rude shoe salesmen is reading hundreds of posts on having to get one's post count back up to some preset level. And then having that sentiment repeated in the message signature...
I have to admit that I enjoyed jp's threads . . . returning worn shoes to the Polo Beverly Hills store, making demands on the local shirt tailor, wrecking a pair of Lobbs. All classics of unintentional comedy. If you're going to spam the Forum with vanity posts, the least you can do is make them funny.
post #28 of 60
I was actually thinking of suggesting that as a certain poster approached 5000 posts, assuming his signal-to-noise ratio continued to decline, the probability of my banning him would also approach 1. Make them count, if you know what I mean.

There is also the possibility of using the User Reputation system instead of post counts. I don't have much experience with it, but it helps identify respected members without referring to post count. I could look into setting that up.
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
I was actually thinking of suggesting that as a certain poster approached 5000 posts, assuming his signal-to-noise ratio continued to decline, the probability of my banning him would also approach 1. Make them count, if you know what I mean.

There is also the possibility of using the User Reputation system instead of post counts. I don't have much experience with it, but it helps identify respected members without referring to post count. I could look into setting that up.

Luckily, it's going to take me a while to hit 5000 again, what with Ernest and jmkalrawhatever gone. Oh, well, back to motorcycle and cars I guess.

Is your BMW bike expensive to repair?

Jon.
post #30 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Luckily, it's going to take me a while to hit 5000 again, what with Ernest and jmkalrawhatever gone. Oh, well, back to motorcycle and cars I guess.

Is your BMW bike expensive to repair?

Jon.
No, I found a good mechanic (he works on some of the WA State Patrol's BMW bikes) who works out of a home shop for $65/hr plus dealer parts prices or I can bring my own parts. This is absurdly cheap actually. Getting a new BMW bike serviced at the dealer is considerably more expensive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › How about abolishing post count?