• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wimbledon 2009

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no.

Roddick is the player I, as well as many others, like to call "the woulda coulda" player, just based on the fact that if Federer hadn't come along, he would've won a lot more slams.

Honestly? The best we'll ever see Roddick, in terms of serve, forehand, backhand, was this year's French Open.

He played well. No denying it. Just kind of horrible that he had to play Monfils.

Lachy

Reaction score
I always feel bad for Roddick. He's a really good player, and every year he goes and reconstructs his game, works on his weaknesses, maintains his strengths, devises new strategies, comes to the Australian Open in fantastic form, plays brilliantly until he comes up against Federer who just annihilates him, and then the year is basically over for him. He always does well, I always hope he'll win, but after his first humiliating defeat to Roger for the year, it seems his confidence is lost.

In the past, I would say that Wimbledon would be Federer's tournament to take, but lately he's been all over the place, and even with Nadal out, I wouldn't call it a sure thing.

I definitely don't see a Roddick-Federer Final. I'd like to see Murray do well. An Englishman winning Wimbledon, wouldn't that be something!

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
In the past, I would say that Wimbledon would be Federer's tournament to take, but lately he's been all over the place, and even with Nadal out, I wouldn't call it a sure thing.

The enormous pressure of having to chase the 14th title is now gone.

Federer can play however he wants. He has nothing to lose. #1 ranking? Nope. All he has to do is just play like he normally does on grass.

He made it to the Wimbledon finals without much threat, if I recall correctly.

Lachy

Reaction score
Hes a contender for sure, a favorite to win even. I'd like him to win it actually, I am a fan of his. But even with the pressure off, he's unpredictable. I'd love to be proven wrong about that though.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that he's unpredictable.

A couple of years back, it was normal routine for Federer to breeze through to the finals of every Open, and then take it. His best playing was in 2006/2007.

I honestly thought that Nadal would take the French. After almost losing to Haas, Fed came back in. He had the same situation with Del Potro.

In the end, I think that even though he may lose a set or two, he wins over his opponent based on mental edge. Watch the Haas and Del Potro matches to really see it.

That Monfils match was really embarrassing, considering how well Monfils was playing to that point.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Federer won't breeze through; he's pretty much mercurial now with his age showing just ever so slightly. There are games where it seems like he's just not mentally there, spraying forehands on many important points (though if I remember correctly he's been hitting more forehand winners than errors in his FO matches).

Also his problem is that Wimbledon's courts have gotten a lot slower, so his slice backhand isn't as effective, though I'm sure he'll find a way to make his chip returns hell to deal with. Also his forehand slice is gonna be sick for this surface.

As for Roddick, I just believe that he is due for some reason. He has actually been playing very well this season, and has improved his backhand tremendously. However, if he could only learn to place his serves better! I'm really hoping for a Roddick-Murray semi, which I think could be a great, great match. It is the perfect contrast in terms of playing style.

Furthermore, Roddick will benefit the most out of all the players if there's a lot of rain during Wimbledon. Hard serve up the middle and short return-->forehand winner will work! Especially against Federer who will try to chop back every backhand return.

Rover!

Reaction score
Federer can play however he wants. He has nothing to lose. #1 ranking? Nope. All he has to do is just play like he normally does on grass.

If Federer makes it to the semi finals he'll regain the #1 ranking, due to the fact that Nadal will lose points for not playing.

Treen

Reaction score
I'd like to see a Murray-Federer final, with Murray winning. I think that's quite likely to, even if I am a bit biased...

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone watch the Sharapova-Dulko match? Pretty hot.

Cilic-Querry match was pretty awesome too.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Treen
I'd like to see a Murray-Federer final, with Murray winning. I think that's quite likely to, even if I am a bit biased...

This would be great

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Anyone watch the Sharapova-Dulko match? Pretty hot.
Saw it for like 5 mins. Did not expect Sharapova to fall so early.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hewitt beating del Potro was pretty crazy.

Wozniaki-Kirilenko was
inlove.gif
Both are so beautiful.

Standard Toaster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lachy
I'd like to see Murray do well. An Englishman winning Wimbledon, wouldn't that be something!

Don't let Murray hear you say that; he's Scottish.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads