• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trend towards being a skinny guy?

umadcuzimstylinonu

Reaction score
Does anyone else but me feel that there seems to be a trend towards being a skinny but ripped (low body fat %) guy versus a more muscular guy? I mean, when I look at who girls find attractive nowadays (Zac Efruit, The Jonas Brothers, some skater named Ryan Sheker or something like that), those guys have almost no muscle and just have low body fat. Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing this as well?

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by umadcuzimstylinonu
Does anyone else but me feel that there seems to be a trend towards being a skinny but ripped (low body fat %) guy versus a more muscular guy? I mean, when I look at who girls find attractive nowadays (Zac Efruit, The Jonas Brothers, some skater named Ryan Sheker or something like that), those guys have almost no muscle and just have low body fat. Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing this as well?

If your goal is to attract 9-15 year old girls, then yeah go ahead. Just watch out for Chris Hansen.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
If your goal is to attract 9-15 year old girls or Neo, then yeah go ahead. Just watch out for Chris Hansen.

Fixed.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are simply asking if skinny-but-ripped is a growing aesthetic? It undoubtedly is.

The male figure itself is a growing aesthetic. Men are under more pressure than ever before to be fit and look great. Modern life is finally catching up to us and we'll enjoy the same psychological messes women have increasingly enjoyed for decades.

If you need any proof, compare any male sex symbol of the 60's or 70's to what passes for "fit" today.

On to my own psychobabble... regardless of a growing skinny-but-ripped aesthetic, a curvy woman wants a guy bigger than she is. I don't know what % heavier they want you, but they want you bigger. The average is also ballooning up, which means more fat or muscle (you pick) on yourself.

umadcuzimstylinonu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
If your goal is to attract 9-15 year old girls, then yeah go ahead. Just watch out for Chris Hansen.
you do realize that it's not just 9-15 year olds that watch Disney Channel, right? I know plenty of college girls that are into that (serious). Plus, even the people you see on MTV are all skinny, emo-looking, skaters with no dress sense and little to know muscle. As someone who lifts a lot and is fairly strong (no e-brag because I'm not that great), it really frustrates me when girls assume that someone is stronger than me just because he's taller and has a 6 pack even though he has 9 inch biceps and chicken legs. For example, just recently, a few girls described this guy as "muscular": http://innerjoejoe.files.wordpress.c...ein-hayden.jpg ARE YOU ******** ME (no **** for posting this, not that there is anything wrong with being gay btw)?

zbip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by umadcuzimstylinonu
you do realize that it's not just 9-15 year olds that watch Disney Channel, right? I know plenty of college girls that are into that (serious). Plus, even the people you see on MTV are all skinny, emo-looking, skaters with no dress sense and little to know muscle. As someone who lifts a lot and is fairly strong (no e-brag because I'm not that great), it really frustrates me when girls assume that someone is stronger than me just because he's taller and has a 6 pack even though he has 9 inch biceps and chicken legs.

For example, just recently, a few girls described this guy as "muscular":

http://innerjoejoe.files.wordpress.c...ein-hayden.jpg

ARE YOU ******** ME (no **** for posting this, not that there is anything wrong with being gay btw)?

wtf get back to teh misc. u mad dem dere swole ass 135lbers stylin on ur ass?

u irate

Becks23

Reaction score
As long as you're proportionate, I don't think girls care too much about how muscular a guy is. Of course as you get bigger and bigger, your height can't change so that's when the proportions get skewed.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bruce%20Lee-JKD.jpg

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just the fight club effect. Brad Pitt looked like he could kill a mother ****** in the movie, but he was starved, cut, and at his lightest.

Some women are going to be into that. There's always some women to are into anything. We do it to them, too. Is it payback for Twiggy?

Your average, curvy woman is probably more into the way you look, not the photo you provided. Be thankful, honestly, because the AVERAGE (ie - high point of the bell curve) woman wants you. When you are skinny, you have to find a lighter woman. It's harder.

Doctor

Reaction score
Quite seriously, big muscles are not that high on most girls' priorities. They prefer slim (read: not bone skinny). Be slim before ripped. Slim + defined muscles = perfect combo.

I have a lot of female friends who actually say they can't stand an excessively muscular physique.

If you needed any proof, your list of celebrities is pretty much spot on.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
Quite seriously, big muscles are not that high on most girls' priorities. They prefer slim (read: not bone skinny). Be slim before ripped. Slim + defined muscles = perfect combo.

I have a lot of female friends who actually say they can't stand an excessively muscular physique.

If you needed any proof, your list of celebrities is pretty much spot on.

+1

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that in classical cultures, you were considered a bad citizen and often immoral if you were out of shape. Didn't matter if you had huge muscles or were just thin and ripped, as long as you could perform.

That said, I don't consider someone who just lifts heavy weights while sitting or laying down on the bench, or someone who just obsessively runs daily but suffers from injuries and couldn't lift 20 pounds athletic or in shape.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the examples being used here are between the ages of 18-22. I love the "even college girls watch the Disney channel." Really, women as old as 22 like skinny guys? Wow, those are old ladies! You can't compare the pop stars of today with Steve McQueen. Compare them with the pop stars of yesteryear and there isn't much difference. Young pop stars/actors are just that...young, and they're still growing into their bodies. When those guys are 35-45 years old, they'll probably be in good shape, but they probably won't be skinny. They will have matured and can only hope to look like Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman or Matthew McCaughnehy.

I'll let some of you in on a secret: when you go back to your 10 or 20 year class reunion, you'll be shocked. The football hero who was 5'11 with 190 lbs. of muscle is almost sure to be overweight. The voluptuous cheerleader is almost sure to be overweight. The guy who was able to grow a beard at age 17 will be bald. The skinny ones in high school often look great years later when they grow into their bodies. They often have a much easier time keeping weight off too.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
On to my own psychobabble... regardless of a growing skinny-but-ripped aesthetic, a curvy woman wants a guy bigger than she is. I don't know what % heavier they want you, but they want you bigger. The average is also ballooning up, which means more fat or muscle (you pick) on yourself.

these are the women I'm interested in and they don't want a man that looks like he'll snap like a twig.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I'll let some of you in on a secret: when you go back to your 10 or 20 year class reunion, you'll be shocked. The football hero who was 5'11 with 190 lbs. of muscle is almost sure to be overweight. The voluptuous cheerleader is almost sure to be overweight. The guy who was able to grow a beard at age 17 will be bald. The skinny ones in high school often look great years later when they grow into their bodies. They often have a much easier time keeping weight off too.

I used to be the most skinny guy in my class in school - even more skinny than most girls. I am not big and muscular now either, but am in much better (toned) shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics