or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 439

post #6571 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Seat height of a Bonnie is 30.9 inches but they make a lower seat (but don't specify the height).  I assume shaving the seat and/or getting shorter springs would do the trick.  Ditto with the Scrambler


What about a Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber?  30.3"  seat height and Italian flavour.  Can't comment on the reliability as this it is a all new bike with an all new engine. Looks interesting


c1eb209b-004%20V9%20Bobber.jpg

I love that Moto Guzzi but again, 30.3" is a little top heavy for someone 5'7"..
post #6572 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Some Harleys come in stock at 23" or so. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/softail-slim.html#!specs Pretty sure that's what Gnatty has right now.

Yeah, I almost feel like my ass is scraping the pavement, but I've always liked low bikes.. I'd love to start her on this but 103 c.i. bike may be no bueno if I want to keep her around for the long haul..
post #6573 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post


I love that Moto Guzzi but again, 30.3" is a little top heavy for someone 5'7"..

 

It's her inseam that counts not her height.  Shorter springs (notice I didn't say cut the springs) should drop it an inch and shaving down the seat a little  plus on teh sides makes it narrower and easier to touch ground.  Seems like Moto Guzzi took a page out of Triumph's handbook and released the bike with plenty of factory produced accessories

post #6574 of 6912
post #6575 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Seat height of a Bonnie is 30.9 inches but they make a lower seat (but don't specify the height).  I assume shaving the seat and/or getting shorter springs would do the trick.  Ditto with the Scrambler


What about a Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber?  30.3"  seat height and Italian flavour.  Can't comment on the reliability as this it is a all new bike with an all new engine. Looks interesting


c1eb209b-004%20V9%20Bobber.jpg

Stay far far away from the Guzzi.

Gnat - I'm about your wife's height and my Bonnie's lowered with no issue. Ikon shocks in the back and progressive lowering kit in the front.
post #6576 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

It's her inseam that counts not her height.  Shorter springs (notice I didn't say cut the springs) should drop it an inch and shaving down the seat a little  plus on teh sides makes it narrower and easier to touch ground.  Seems like Moto Guzzi took a page out of Triumph's handbook and released the bike with plenty of factory produced accessories

yes, I know it's the inseam that counts, but normally inseam is at least partially a function of a person's height, so a 30" Triumph that she cannot stand flat-footed on means she likewise, won't stand flat-footed with the MG. However, I understand your point that if I have to customize a Triumph to fit, why not customize a Moto Guzzi to fit. I must admit, it is a nice looking bike..
post #6577 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Stay far far away from the Guzzi.

Gnat - I'm about your wife's height and my Bonnie's lowered with no issue. Ikon shocks in the back and progressive lowering kit in the front.

Thanks dude. Why the warning on the MG? I haven't read much about them, so have no experience.

Did you do the lowering yourself or did you have the dealer do the work for you? What size shocks and lowering kit did you need?
post #6578 of 6912
it's a small sample size but both people I know with Guzzis had issues and constantly got stranded. One sold and bought a new Bonnie, the other sold and got an FZ-07.

My bonnie came with these 1" lower rear shocks already installed: https://www.newbonneville.com/html/ikon_shocks.html

My front ones are these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/progressive-fork-lowering-kit-for-triumph-bonneville

I got my local shop to do the front lowering for me as I didn't really have the tools or equipment. I've seen videos though and it looks dead straightforward. literally a pop the fork tube top, fish the old springs out, drop in the new ones plus spacers and pop the caps back on.
post #6579 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

it's a small sample size but both people I know with Guzzis had issues and constantly got stranded. One sold and bought a new Bonnie, the other sold and got an FZ-07.

My bonnie came with these 1" lower rear shocks already installed: https://www.newbonneville.com/html/ikon_shocks.html

My front ones are these: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/progressive-fork-lowering-kit-for-triumph-bonneville

I got my local shop to do the front lowering for me as I didn't really have the tools or equipment. I've seen videos though and it looks dead straightforward. literally a pop the fork tube top, fish the old springs out, drop in the new ones plus spacers and pop the caps back on.

thanks buddy, that helps!
post #6580 of 6912

AFAIK, the previous owner of my SV was also about that height.

She had a huge chunk of the seat cut out and had lowering links in the back. The seat thing really helped her out. It was a good 2-3 inches lower than my replacement lol.

 

That said, you're going to want to pay attention to how she gets off the bike especially since a little bit of lean gets a lot more complicated if things don't line up perfectly. With a heavier bike, the tiny bit of lean means even more inertia.

The bonnie's a good one in that way. Light etc and with what trini said pretty easy to lower. That's good.


I do remember the MG saga being discussed on here.

 

Any reason you don't want to start her off with an older japanese cafe style bike?

post #6581 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post


Any reason you don't want to start her off with an older japanese cafe style bike?


I'm gonna guess reliability.
post #6582 of 6912

I don't know why I forgot about that Guzzi that kept dying...and then died on the way to trade it in.

post #6583 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

I don't know why I forgot about that Guzzi that kept dying...and then died on the way to trade it in.

maybe the best part of the story.
post #6584 of 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post


I'm gonna guess reliability.

 

Huh, really? I thought they were tanks if they got a decent cleanout. I thought the euro bikes were the finnicky ones.

post #6585 of 6912

Did my first oil+filter change yesterday. Then installed the belly pan I got from across the pond. I had to remove the oil 'radiator' to put the bracket on and of course I couldn't get the bolts back in. Luckily had some longer bolts with a washer that worked out pretty well. They were allen bolts instead of nuts but things went up snug.

I also put the threaded brackets for the pan on backwards and had to break the clips to get them on. Goodness.

 

Looks great though! Haven't had a chance to start the bike and ride it yet because of the weather, so I'm hoping it starts lol. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles