or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 303

post #4531 of 4653

I'm a little crazy for this little guy.

 

 

But if I was going to get a 160HP bike, it'd have full fairings. 

post #4532 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

I'm a little crazy for this little guy.

 

 

But if I was going to get a 160HP bike, it'd have full fairings. 

 

It is an interesting bike for sure but yeah I'd just pony up a leeeedle more and get the real deal

post #4533 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

I'm a little crazy for this little guy.




But if I was going to get a 160HP bike, it'd have full fairings. 

Is that the S1000R?

It's been getting rave reviews.
post #4534 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Is that the S1000R?

It's been getting rave reviews.

Yeah. It's a hell of a machine. Even converted a few guys on my Triumph forum. One of them complains that while the bike rides cleaner than other nakeds in its class, he doesn't get the same nods of approval he did with his dirty old Speed triple.
post #4535 of 4653
Yea the Bimmers look Japanese. The Triumph Triples ooze style, which really does matter. I'm not really sure you need much more than a hearty torquey ~110RWHP, especially on a naked bike
post #4536 of 4653

Yeah, personally I'm not all that tempted by all the gadgets and fancy electronics. ABS is non negotiable (It's saved my bacon in a few critical spots), but beyond that you're just making a bike that rides itself. I could see maybe if I was a track demon and was always like, number two or three in the pack and just couldn't gain that extra few feet - then maybe I'd lust after some teched-out Panigale so I could go full throttle out of an apex and not worry about sliding the rear tire. But for being just a hair above average in ability with most of my riding being commuting and (mostly made up) errands - with the occasional weekend canyon trip - Triumph does it for me quite nicely and with just the right level of panache. 

post #4537 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

Yeah. It's a hell of a machine. Even converted a few guys on my Triumph forum. One of them complains that while the bike rides cleaner than other nakeds in its class, he doesn't get the same nods of approval he did with his dirty old Speed triple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Yea the Bimmers look Japanese. The Triumph Triples ooze style, which really does matter. I'm not really sure you need much more than a hearty torquey ~110RWHP, especially on a naked bike

The issue I've seen/read so far w/ the Triumphs is that they're a bit dated now compared to what BMW and Aprilia are putting out.

I imagine the next incarnation of the Triple should bring them up to par.

I'd still like to ride a Striple R tho to see how that feels.
post #4538 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post



The issue I've seen/read so far w/ the Triumphs is that they're a bit dated now compared to what BMW and Aprilia are putting out.

I imagine the next incarnation of the Triple should bring them up to par.

I'd still like to ride a Striple R tho to see how that feels.

 

"Issue" to some, "desired charm" to others. A British guy once broke it down to me something like this:

 

If you ride the best-speced bike and are not always at the front of the pack, people will label you a wanker. You do not want to be a wanker. However if you ride a Triumph, a bike from a company that is not interested in spec sheets, you don't have the kind of pressure that comes with having the latest, best-speced bike. But if you overtake that guy with his new best-speced bike on your Triumph, "you'll be a hero to your mates when you stop back at the pub for lunch. You see, Triumph do not want wankers riding their bikes. Triumph riders have heart.." etc..etc..

~~~

 

As for my opinion, I like Triumph for two simple reasons: 1) Nothing I've ridden has felt as good/easy/exciting/attractive/versatile/comfortable/refined to ride. 2) I tend to like anyone I meet who also rides a Triumph. 

 

 

You know? Take the FZ-09. It's a triple with a bigger engine and more power than my STR, it's $2k cheaper, similar enough in form and function. So that's the better buy right? If you're into spec sheets, totally.  But I'm into nuance in look and feel. I think the FZ-09 looks like Yamaha tried to build their own Street Triple. I think the suspension would need an upgrade to be smooth enough and the choppier throttle response/fuel map would infuriate me simply because I have known better. That nuanced feel of riding something that just works perfectly... you don't get that from spec sheets and you rarely get it from motorcycle reviewers, who are always just looking for granular points that they can use to determine the "best right now."

 

So yeah, bring on every bell and whistle you can think of. I'll probably still keep my Street Triple until the frame is rusty and everyone's talking about "magnetic hover" features. 

 

But if I were to get a SECOND bike. Which I'm sure I will. I will probably be looking for heated grips. =)

post #4539 of 4653
I am kind of getting over specs/tech as well, at least from a "what I would actually spend my money on" point of view. I'm an engineer and a tech geek so from that side I follow it all and like what's going on. But ultimately, I look at bikes through questions like "what would another 100RWHP add to my riding? Where will I use traction control on the street? Does the bike look good?" Naked Triumphs seem to have all the right answers to any question about a bike I would want to actually own/buy with my own money.
post #4540 of 4653

To be honest if you mostly commute with your bike in various types of weather, traction control just might come in handy.  I have a car so I'm good.  I want a Streetfighter S, not beccause of teh traction control but  because of the lighter wheels and the ohlins.  When and if I decide to bite the bullet, I'll probably dial the t/c waaaaay down and ride it like a "regular" bike

post #4541 of 4653
Personally I never understood the point of riding in bad weather. I HAVE come across random dumpings of gravel and garbage on the road, so yea, ABS and traction control would be appreciated. However, I don't think I could get that in a 100 HP naked bike in my price range (<$5K).
post #4542 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Personally I never understood the point of riding in bad weather. I HAVE come across random dumpings of gravel and garbage on the road, so yea, ABS and traction control would be appreciated. However, I don't think I could get that in a 100 HP naked bike in my price range (<$5K).

 

Road trips? Can't always predict the weather. Good to be prepared. 

 

I think the main thing traction control is great for is the track though. If you have stupid-high HP, you need something to keep yourself from getting killed with it! At least I would.

post #4543 of 4653
If I do a road trip I will take one of my cars. Track days are another good place for it, didn't even think of that.
post #4544 of 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

If I do a road trip I will take one of my cars. Track days are another good place for it, didn't even think of that.

You wouldn't/don't take road trips with friends that also ride? As long as you have a right mix of people with similar riding styles/experience that shit is fun
post #4545 of 4653

Road trip in a car? I did that when I was a kid. And I learned a lot about America too. Mostly that it's nothing but corn and soy fields between Pennsylvania and Colorado. Boriiiing. If I'm going a distance I'm either flying through the night, drunk and knocked out on pills, or I'm getting some excitement out of it.

 

Hell, tomorrow I'm going to ride up to Lake Winnipesaukee for the night. It's an exercise in minimalism for sure. One pair of pants. Two sets of underwear. One off bike tee. One riding tee. DR Bronners tube for combination tooth paste and all applicable soaps. I think this time I'll bring my extra kriega bag and pack a hammock. I love hammocks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles