or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 292

post #4366 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

That's a goddamn beauty.

Question for you guys, so the tu250x I put a deposit on has been postponed. Apparently the dealership is having a hard time allocating 2015 models for their lot. Instead of the end of this month i've been told it could be as far back as july.

it got me thinking, maybe instead of buying this brand new bike as my first ride, financing it and shit, why not plunk down 1800-2200 and buy an older used bike like a 70s cb350 or something. i think it would be a good experience to have a bike like this as my first, and theyre notoriously easy to wrench on no?

as it stands i took their offer of taking back my deposit, so i need to figure something out with the quickness. i also looked into picking up a used 13 tu250, but theyre fucking impossible to find at this point really.

opinions? also suggestions for reliable, standard/cafe type bikes i could pick up for under 2500

No.

You want your first bike to be operational and get as much road time as possible. I was tempted to go down this path myself and everyone cautioned me against it as I'd spend more time wrenching than riding.

Just get another bike. A new or nearly new one.
post #4367 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeitsjosh View Post

Can someone tell me what the main difference between the Speed Triple and Street Triple are?

Thinking about getting one of these bikes if I don't go with the Daytona 675.

 

Chiming in late here but, since I just put my first 700 miles on a '14 Street Triple R, I figured I'd weigh in.

 

Of the three bikes you mentioned, the Daytona is the track tool, the Speed Triple is the heavyweight hooligan bike and the Street Triple is the quick, nimble do-it-all bike. Which one you go with really depends on what kind of riding you want to do.

 

The Daytona is a beauty. It's light and screaming fast, loves to be revved up. The riding position is very aggressive, however, which makes it impractical for commuting. You'd go with the Daytona if you spend time at the track, mainly ride for canyon runs or, like my friend with a '13, frequently lane split at dangerous speeds on the highway and run from cops with no chance of them keeping up. If you commute, it's not going to be fun. My friend manages, but he's pretty fit and jacked and likes the pain. This will be the most comfortable at speed, due to being leaned far forward instead of upright.

 

The Speed Triple is a torque machine. I haven't ridden it, but those I've talked to who have say they can power wheelie from just abut anywhere in the power band. It's low revving, high torque/horsepower and heavier. This means it'll be less nimble than the other two, but it's probably the best for stunt riding and general street shenanigans. Personally, I think the Speed is due for an update. Technically classified as a "supernaked," its electronics package has not kept up with the competition. Where the only electronic enhancement it offers as ABS, something like the new BMW S1000R supernaked is not much more expensive, and can come with ABS, ride select, dynamic suspension adjustment, heated grips, traction control and more. Buy one now and you'll be sorry when they finally update the platform. In that category, go with a BMW S1000R.

 

And then there's the Street Triple. My favorite bike I've ever ridden. At low revs it is well behaved, quiet and forgiving. At high revs it's torquey, fast and screams like a banshee. It's light and flickable, able to turn on a dime and comfortable enough to commute on. It happily revs either high or low depending on how you want to ride. I ride most days out of the year and for me, this bike represents the perfect balance of speed, agility and comfort. 

 

Say hello:

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

That's a goddamn beauty.

Question for you guys, so the tu250x I put a deposit on has been postponed. Apparently the dealership is having a hard time allocating 2015 models for their lot. Instead of the end of this month i've been told it could be as far back as july.

it got me thinking, maybe instead of buying this brand new bike as my first ride, financing it and shit, why not plunk down 1800-2200 and buy an older used bike like a 70s cb350 or something. i think it would be a good experience to have a bike like this as my first, and theyre notoriously easy to wrench on no?

as it stands i took their offer of taking back my deposit, so i need to figure something out with the quickness. i also looked into picking up a used 13 tu250, but theyre fucking impossible to find at this point really.

opinions? also suggestions for reliable, standard/cafe type bikes i could pick up for under 2500

 

I don't think one should pay a lot for or finance a first bike. Like everyone always says, it's not 'if' you put the bike down, it's 'when.' Not a lot of standards that come in 250, though you could do a Star or Honda cruiser. Overall, I think the best starter bike made today is the Ninja 300. But don't be too picky about your starter; you won't have it more than a season or two.

post #4368 of 4527
BH - I must say, I'm more and more tempted to pick up a Striple R.

Though I really have no need frown.gif

Speaking of nimble, I've been appreciating riding my Scarabeo more and more every day. It makes less than 20hp but it only weighs about 320 lbs.

It's so light and nimble in the city.
post #4369 of 4527
Hopefully I am pulling the bike out of storage this evening. It has been so damn cold and rainy here that I haven't had a chance yet.

Need to get some riding time in as I am taking it on a trip memorial day weekend. Only 2 hours away, but the bike does not regularly get interstate use and I want to be sure it is all working right (and I am back used to riding it).
post #4370 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

That's a goddamn beauty.

Question for you guys, so the tu250x I put a deposit on has been postponed. Apparently the dealership is having a hard time allocating 2015 models for their lot. Instead of the end of this month i've been told it could be as far back as july.

it got me thinking, maybe instead of buying this brand new bike as my first ride, financing it and shit, why not plunk down 1800-2200 and buy an older used bike like a 70s cb350 or something. i think it would be a good experience to have a bike like this as my first, and theyre notoriously easy to wrench on no?

as it stands i took their offer of taking back my deposit, so i need to figure something out with the quickness. i also looked into picking up a used 13 tu250, but theyre fucking impossible to find at this point really.

opinions? also suggestions for reliable, standard/cafe type bikes i could pick up for under 2500
Just buy a used TU250X... same 70s charm, none of the 70s problems (rotted rubber hoses, carbs, rust). Throw some lower bars and a cafe seat on........ finito
post #4371 of 4527
A lil something for Mark:

http://vimeo.com/32895451
post #4372 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

No.

You want your first bike to be operational and get as much road time as possible. I was tempted to go down this path myself and everyone cautioned me against it as I'd spend more time wrenching than riding.

Just get another bike. A new or nearly new one.

I've got nothing against getting a new or nearly new bike, but I definitely don't want a sport looking bike, and the options for newer standards are pretty much nonexistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Just buy a used TU250X... same 70s charm, none of the 70s problems (rotted rubber hoses, carbs, rust). Throw some lower bars and a cafe seat on........ finito

Extremely difficult to find at a decent price, but this will probably be the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

A lil something for Mark:

http://vimeo.com/32895451

This has got me feeling some type of way, amazing. Talk about spirited driving, but that dude is crazy to be wearing no gear and half helmet driving around like that.
post #4373 of 4527
post #4374 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcd/4456274042.html Get to it


13,200 is low miles? On a 2009?
post #4375 of 4527
How much work do you guys do on your bikes when you pull them out of storage?

I'm planning to go change the oil again even though it would have been changed right before I put it away for the winter... 20 miles on it, but with how long I waited to pull it out this year...it might have been almost 6 months since the last change.
post #4376 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

How much work do you guys do on your bikes when you pull them out of storage?

I'm planning to go change the oil again even though it would have been changed right before I put it away for the winter... 20 miles on it, but with how long I waited to pull it out this year...it might have been almost 6 months since the last change.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that is necessary. If you changed it right before putting it away, the oil is clean. The whole reason for changing it before putting it away is to avoid dirty oil degrading the engine parts.
post #4377 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13 View Post
Motoport was what I was considering for my next outfit instead of leather. Have you tried the one piece suits and how comfortable is your jacket? I like Aerostitch as well.

I have recently replaced a two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter with Motoport stretch kevlar.  I absolutely prefer the Motoport.  The ballistic nylon and Gore-Tex laminate of the 'stich is just not that flexible or breathable.  The stretch kevlar moves with you, has give, and lets a bit of wind sift through it.  It is also lined in mesh instead of some clingy sheer synthetic woven fabric.

post #4378 of 4527
Friends, talk to me about front suspension. It's the next upgrade I'm planning on for the bike.

Options are:

Progressive springs
Linear springs
Intiminator valves + linear springs

Any of the above are supposed to be noticeable upgrades from the stock springs but just wondering if anyone's had experience with them.
post #4379 of 4527
I bought a Vanson perforated stallion, but it was too small and had to return it. I know it has been beaten to death, but how does Dainese compare both in terms of sizing and quality? Also, why are the prices on their jackets so variable?

This one for example is $500: http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/g-laguna-evo-pelle-estivo.html?cat=12&subcat=13
but this one is $800:http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/g-super-speed-c2-pelle.html?cat=12&subcat=13#tech
post #4380 of 4527
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Friends, talk to me about front suspension. It's the next upgrade I'm planning on for the bike.

Options are:

Progressive springs
Linear springs
Intiminator valves + linear springs

Any of the above are supposed to be noticeable upgrades from the stock springs but just wondering if anyone's had experience with them.
I have Race tech catridge emulators.... front end is too stiff, rear end is like jello

If you can get a full on cartridge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles