or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 275

post #4111 of 4533
Hmmm. For all the SFS's fanfare I'm surprised there are brand new three year old leftovers. It may be one of those bikes that sounds like a good idea on paper, but is too much in the real world. If it were my money I'd go for the 848 too; 1098 does seem like a bit much for the street, especially w/upright bars
post #4112 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Hmmm. For all the SFS's fanfare I'm surprised there are brand new three year old leftovers. It may be one of those bikes that sounds like a good idea on paper, but is too much in the real world. If it were my money I'd go for the 848 too; 1098 does seem like a bit much for the street, especially w/upright bars

Exactly. The idea is it's a bike for riding in the commuting in the city, and you don't need 1100cc to do that. Heck, 850cc is overkill - bikes like the SV650, Hawk GT, and Street Triple have been praised as the best iterations of the concept and they've got by with less. I could see the SF848 working better for me in Chicago because commuting can often involve hopping on a crowded interstate for a few miles, but even then it would be weird. My Hawk is very narrow and something about it makes me nervous on the interstate - it feels like I'm on a unicycle. smile.gif
post #4113 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post

Exactly. The idea is it's a bike for riding in the commuting in the city, and you don't need 1100cc to do that. Heck, 850cc is overkill - bikes like the SV650, Hawk GT, and Street Triple have been praised as the best iterations of the concept and they've got by with less. I could see the SF848 working better for me in Chicago because commuting can often involve hopping on a crowded interstate for a few miles, but even then it would be weird. My Hawk is very narrow and something about it makes me nervous on the interstate - it feels like I'm on a unicycle. smile.gif

Highway bikes need more stability + substance. That, and on the highway a little more passing power and less strain on the engine is never a bad thing. So for a bike that will see a lot of highway time or pillion time, I think ~800-900ccs of torquiness is legit. But yea, my Ninja 650 was a hoot in NYC. It was a stoplight missile and maneuverable enough to lane split and all that. I can't see that being the case on a bike with 2x the displacement. Different strokes I guess.

My dream logical bike is an SV1000N. Basically a Japanese SF848
post #4114 of 4533

1979 Yamaha XS750

 

 

Yamaha XS750

Yamaha XS750

 

Yamaha XS750

Yamaha XS750

Yamaha XS750

 

Yamaha XS750

post #4115 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Hmmm. For all the SFS's fanfare I'm surprised there are brand new three year old leftovers. It may be one of those bikes that sounds like a good idea on paper, but is too much in the real world. If it were my money I'd go for the 848 too; 1098 does seem like a bit much for the street, especially w/upright bars

 

HP

132 hp @ 10,000 rpm vs 155 hp @ 9500 rpm

 
Torque
69 ft/lbs @ 9,500 rpm  vs 85ft/lbs @ 9500 rpm

 

1098 doesn't sound too much to me, it sounds just right!

post #4116 of 4533

just sealed the deal and wired the money for my first bike.  a Black Honda CB500F, 1k Miles, 2013, for $4,000.  Only downside is it's in FL and I'm in NJ, so in total it'll cost me $4,300.  But these bikes are $5,500 MSRP, so after fees roughly $5,700-$5,900.  Really excited I found this bike.  Can't wait to start riding.

post #4117 of 4533

Nice.

 

Only $300 to ship? That's cheap as hell.

post #4118 of 4533
Looking for my first bike. Would prefer to only spend around $1,000. It will only really be used for around town and to and from work (about 5 miles). I am thinking about going with an old dual sport but am a little overwhelmed with all the options. Some of the models I have been looking at: DR350, DR650, TW200, XL350, XL600. Any help or suggestions would be super helpful.

I would like to eventually get it to look something like this:

XL600


TW200 w/ Honda tank
post #4119 of 4533
Old bikes rarely make good first bikes
post #4120 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post
 

Nice.

 

Only $300 to ship? That's cheap as hell.

yeah man, Uship is awesome. Plus FL to northeast is a popular run for a lot of these freight truckers.

post #4121 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

Looking for my first bike. Would prefer to only spend around $1,000. It will only really be used for around town and to and from work (about 5 miles). I am thinking about going with an old dual sport but am a little overwhelmed with all the options. Some of the models I have been looking at: DR350, DR650, TW200, XL350, XL600. Any help or suggestions would be super helpful.

I would like to eventually get it to look something like this:

XL600


TW200 w/ Honda tank

these are street legal?

post #4122 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Old bikes rarely make good first bikes

Any suggestions? Do I need to prepare myself to spend more money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohare View Post

these are street legal?

I believe so, they are both based off of dual sports.
post #4123 of 4533

some states require turn signals, some dont, you'll definitely need brake lights.

post #4124 of 4533
The original bikes may have been street legal, but those ones definitely are not.

I don't think old bikes are terrible first bikes. They might require a bit of mechanical aptitude to maintain, but a lot of people don't even keep their first bike for very long. If you buy it and it works for a year with nothing more than oil changes and you can sell it off to someone else...you've done well.
post #4125 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

The original bikes may have been street legal, but those ones definitely are not.

I don't think old bikes are terrible first bikes. They might require a bit of mechanical aptitude to maintain, but a lot of people don't even keep their first bike for very long. If you buy it and it works for a year with nothing more than oil changes and you can sell it off to someone else...you've done well.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why aren't they street legal? It looks like they both have plates, brake light, head light, mirror... I don't think Colorado requires turn signals.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles