or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 263

post #3931 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Finally:
11136825424_df29449058_c.jpg

By now you've probably seen this smile.gif :
post #3932 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post

By now you've probably seen this smile.gif :

Yup. It's hilarious and quite accurate
post #3933 of 4799

Some of his phrases were odd.

 

  • the stanchions I fitted gave it a beautiful warm tone like a trombone or a kindly black man's voice
  • With it's low seat it especially fits shorter riders or taller Asians
     

Not quite offensive (if you belong to one of those groups) but odd as in "WTF are you talking about?  STFU you idiot!!!" kind of odd

post #3934 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Some of his phrases were odd.
  • the stanchions I fitted gave it a beautiful warm tone like a trombone or a kindly black man's voice
  • With it's low seat it especially fits shorter riders or taller Asians

     
Not quite offensive (if you belong to one of those groups) but odd as in "WTF are you talking about?  STFU you idiot!!!" kind of odd

Stanchions was actually "StaInTunes" - a popular Triumph exhaust. And yeah, he was a bit non-PC, which I blamed on him being from Australia.

I thought it was funny and informative in highlighting some of the bike's flaws and problems, while still presenting it as likeable. Just about every bike needs some sorting, it's just a matter of how much you as a buyer are willing to put up with. I'd still take a Thruxton, myself. Though, yeah, I'd go with a W800 if they weren't darned near impossible to find here in the States.
post #3935 of 4799
Hello Gents.

I know there is a lot of hate on here regarding "cafe" bikes and the "hipster scene" surrounding it, and I agree it can become a bit much. However, I wanted to take on a project that would allow me to create something without spending much money on the parts and/or the bike itself. I wanted something more than just bolting on carbon fiber bits to a new bike (may be the next project lol! shog[1].gif)

This is a 77 CB750 that i got for a song. It's not the desired 69-76 years, but I kinda like that it's the considered the ugly duckling of the CB750s


This is the first time I've posted pics of my build. Been a slow process, but a fun one.

The bike started out pretty rough.

This is how she looked the day I picked her up.



And how she looks now. Far from done.









I've done all the work to it myself (full engine rebuild, re-lacing new rims to my hubs, the tail section etc.) except for the powder coating.

It's not for everyone/the purists, but I know there are some guys who like that "cafe" style.
post #3936 of 4799
Looks really good
post #3937 of 4799
That looks really good. I'm sure it'll be awesome when your finished with it. One thing I've always wondered about some of the rebuilds I've seen (especially on the bobbers) is, why the oil tank?
Originally on that bike the oil just went into the engine. Is there a reason for putting on a separate oil tank other than aesthetic reasons? Also, are you going to put on modern higher performance shocks and larger forks?
post #3938 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Looks really good

Thanks Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post

That looks really good. I'm sure it'll be awesome when your finished with it. One thing I've always wondered about some of the rebuilds I've seen (especially on the bobbers) is, why the oil tank?
Originally on that bike the oil just went into the engine. Is there a reason for putting on a separate oil tank other than aesthetic reasons? Also, are you going to put on modern higher performance shocks and larger forks?

Thanks for the kind words John Doe


This specific engine (cb750) is a dry sump lubricated engine. It uses an external oil tank that is replenished by a scavenge pump. The scavenge pump sits at the lowest point of the engine case to collect the oil. There is no oil pan (where the excess oil usually sits on a 4 stroke engine) on a dry sump engine.

Typical motorcycle engine are wet sump (oil pan) and don't need an external oil tank.

dry sump info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_sump

I cant speak for all bobbers/choppers/brats but a lot of guys use faux oil tanks to house the battery and wiring.

As for the suspension, it's all been rebuilt/replaced with new but I don't want to spend more money on suspension than i did for the actual bike itself.
post #3939 of 4799
That was the most well thought out, concise response I've ever seen on this site.

On another note...anyone going to the NY IMS this weekend?
post #3940 of 4799
Thanks for that info on the dry/wet sump, interesting. Be sure and post pics when the bike is done.
post #3941 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgliComet View Post

That was the most well thought out, concise response I've ever seen on this site.

On another note...anyone going to the NY IMS this weekend?
Oooo wish I was up there. They are coming up to Charlotte February 22nd though so I guess I won't miss anything. I want to see if I can ride that FZ-09 though so I guess I don't need to go to a show for that.
post #3942 of 4799
Is the dry sump conversion to make up for the lost oil pan clearance after a bike is lowered?
post #3943 of 4799

A high school mate of mine that I really do not remember at all (yet he remembers me) posted this on facebook. 

 

Turismo-Veloce_grigia-part-02.jpg

 

 

Interesting bike: MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso.  Smae 799 cc inline 3 from the upgraded F3

post #3944 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgliComet View Post

That was the most well thought out, concise response I've ever seen on this site.

On another note...anyone going to the NY IMS this weekend?

Wow shog[1].gif thanks Egli'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post

Thanks for that info on the dry/wet sump, interesting. Be sure and post pics when the bike is done.

You're welcome. Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Is the dry sump conversion to make up for the lost oil pan clearance after a bike is lowered?

It's not actually a conversion on this specific bike. It's the original design / equipment from the factory. I've only changed the design of the oil tank itself.

this is the oem:

The oil tank hides behind the cover with "750 Four" written on it.
post #3945 of 4799
DP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles