or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 240

post #3586 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post
 

Guys, I need a pep talk. Out in Boston I'm closing out another season with no offs ::Knock on wood. Let two cars go for road Karma::.

 

But I'm find myself wussing out in corners. After a wild ride on empty streets tonight, I realized just how tame I've been riding.

 

You know how it goes. You see a promising corner approaching. Nice road grade, well paved, slightly sharp angle.  A little exclamation point appears over your head and you think, "I wonder what speed and lean angle I could hit that at."  You're moving along at a good clip. So what'll it be bub: maintain steady throttle, increase lean and roll it on from the get go? Or feather the breaks, downshift steadily and try for a non-emasculating apex launch.

 

Well, lately, I've been going for the downshift.

 

Maybe I'm just still too new. Maybe I don't trust my bike yet. Or maybe its because I lost some good chrome last time I rode with a Daytona at dusk. But I'm not pushing myself.

 

Is your knee on the ground ? Cause if not, means you can go faster/harder.

 
Like said before, just push on your bar and keep the acceleration steady. Yeah. Push. Don't pull. And down shift before leaning in, not while, not after.
post #3587 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

This one is for Trini

I actually love the Guzzi more shog[1].gif

CRD does awesome bikes.
post #3588 of 4604
Have any of you guys ever done an Edelweiss or other European motorcycle tours?

I'm trying to be more proactive with my vacation planning and combine a couple of interests while I'm at it.
post #3589 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

Guys, I need a pep talk. Out in Boston I'm closing out another season with no offs ::Knock on wood. Let two cars go for road Karma::.

But I'm find myself wussing out in corners. After a wild ride on empty streets tonight, I realized just how tame I've been riding.

You know how it goes. You see a promising corner approaching. Nice road grade, well paved, slightly sharp angle.  A little exclamation point appears over your head and you think, "I wonder what speed and lean angle I could hit that at."  You're moving along at a good clip. So what'll it be bub: maintain steady throttle, increase lean and roll it on from the get go? Or feather the breaks, downshift steadily and try for a non-emasculating apex launch.

Well, lately, I've been going for the downshift.

Maybe I'm just still too new. Maybe I don't trust my bike yet. Or maybe its because I lost some good chrome last time I rode with a Daytona at dusk. But I'm not pushing myself.
Prob a good idea to ride within your limits on the street

But confidence just comes with time and practice.
post #3590 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

Nice

Buy 2 helmets, you are going to crush so much punani

Just get a couple thousand miles down first... learning in NYC is fucking brutal.

Yeah, i'm hoping a side effect of the bike is slaying puss, i'm not too worried haha. How is riding in NYC brutal, coming from someone like yourself who has done it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post



Good for you buddy. Just start getting miles under your belt. And for chrissake wear full gear for as long as you can bear it.

Thanks man, and absolutely. I'm not a squid.

Question for the folks here, would you guys take a 250cc bike on the highway for an extended period of time?
post #3591 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Yeah, i'm hoping a side effect of the bike is slaying puss, i'm not too worried haha.

Just make sure you're fully comfortable on the bike before putting someone else on there.
post #3592 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Have any of you guys ever done an Edelweiss or other European motorcycle tours?

I'm trying to be more proactive with my vacation planning and combine a couple of interests while I'm at it.

 

<==not a rich man

post #3593 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Have any of you guys ever done an Edelweiss or other European motorcycle tours?

I'm trying to be more proactive with my vacation planning and combine a couple of interests while I'm at it.

I've thought about that Himalayan tour where they have the royal enfield bikes (or maybe there is more than one tour operator). Saw some discounted availability on the Clymb after reading about it in a magazine and was tempted. I think I'd prefer to do it somewhere less comfortable. In Europe, I can easily communicate with locals, use the internet, find places to stay and attractions. So there I feel like it might be restricting to be with a tour group that has everything planned out.

I wouldn't know wtf I was doing out in the Himalayas and might have more trouble communicating with the locals. So then I would be happy to have guides showing me around, bringing food, and handling any breakdowns/repairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Question for the folks here, would you guys take a 250cc bike on the highway for an extended period of time?

I don't know what you mean by extended but it should be fine. Your 250 will probably be as fast as my oldass 400, and I'm ok with that on the highway. Might not flow with the fast lane, but you've got enough speed for most highways.
post #3594 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I've thought about that Himalayan tour where they have the royal enfield bikes (or maybe there is more than one tour operator). Saw some discounted availability on the Clymb after reading about it in a magazine and was tempted. I think I'd prefer to do it somewhere less comfortable. In Europe, I can easily communicate with locals, use the internet, find places to stay and attractions. So there I feel like it might be restricting to be with a tour group that has everything planned out.

I wouldn't know wtf I was doing out in the Himalayas and might have more trouble communicating with the locals. So then I would be happy to have guides showing me around, bringing food, and handling any breakdowns/repairs..

I've read about that tour as well and it looks great.

Re: the European tour, I'm looking at those because I've always wanted to visit Scandinavia to take some photos of the fjords and whatnot. This 13-day trip takes you through Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc and for ~$3K, covers bike, tour and hotel.

http://www.motorbiketourseurope.com/motorbike-tours-to-europe/
post #3595 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post


Yeah, i'm hoping a side effect of the bike is slaying puss, i'm not too worried haha. How is riding in NYC brutal, coming from someone like yourself who has done it?
Thanks man, and absolutely. I'm not a squid.

 

Wouldn't be my first choice to learn how to ride unless you are out in Eastern Queens or Staten Island

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post


Question for the folks here, would you guys take a 250cc bike on the highway for an extended period of time?

 

Didn't you decide to get that tiny lil bike by the no name company?  How much horsepower does it make?  You might think I am joking but all 250s are not made the same.  Look at some hp numbers for bikes.  note: numbers in red are dyno figures taken at the wheel by Cycleworld.  The others are manufacturers hp figures taken at the crank (which means less power when measured at the wheels)

 

CB500: 46 hp

Ninja 300: 35 hp

Ninja 250:  25 hp

CBR250: 24 hp

KLX250sf: 21 hp

Honda Rebel:  19 hp

Misfit:  14 hp

 

 

No friggin way I'd get on the highway on Rebel.  Trying it on a Misfit for any appreciable amount of time is a deathwish unless you are sitting in rush hour traffic

post #3596 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Have any of you guys ever done an Edelweiss or other European motorcycle tours?

I'm trying to be more proactive with my vacation planning and combine a couple of interests while I'm at it.

 

I like the idea of tours because most of them have a support van that carries your luggage.  I hate the idea because I will not be able to set my own pace whether fast or slow.

 

One of my riding buddies is married to an Air Force girl and they were shipped out  to Aviano AFB in northern Italy.  I have a standing invitation to come visit and ride the Alps. I want to do Stelvio Pass among other places but I just can't see myself doing this with a tour group with unknown riders with unknown skill levels.  I think it is best to handpick your squad and arrange it yourself. I have 3 fellas that would do this with me (once I decide to do it of course)

 

 

Would you lookey there - dude is on a Streetfighter S

post #3597 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post


Misfit:  14 hp

Ok, so maybe it's not faster than my 400 (which looks like it was rated at 36hp@8.5k in the '70s, but I am pretty sure it is not pulling anywhere near that these days).
post #3598 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post


Question for the folks here, would you guys take a 250cc bike on the highway for an extended period of time?

 

Nope. I won't even take my 800cc cruiser on the highway for an extended period of time. Maybe it's me being overly cautious, but with my max speed at like 93mph and my max *comfortable* speed at like 75-80 its hard to keep highway traffic in my rearview. And if you can't do that, you've got to be cautious about idiots swerving and who's coming up from behind you. Sure, you maybe think the slow lane is a safe place to hang out. WRONG, it's about the worst place to be. That's where all the merging happens, including mister jackass wanna be racer in the left lane Honda Civic with trashcan exhaust tips and a huge spoiler who'd rather put you on your ass than miss his exit...

 

Yeah, I'll spend more time on the highway when I can peg it at a comfortable 95 and hang out in the left lane. Will need a new bike for that. But I prefer to only worry about what's coming up in front. Not what's on my sides and rear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post


I actually love the Guzzi more shog[1].gif

CRD does awesome bikes.

C'mon you just love those ridiculous chunky tires.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplasH View Post
 

 

Is your knee on the ground ? Cause if not, means you can go faster/harder.

 
Like said before, just push on your bar and keep the acceleration steady. Yeah. Push. Don't pull. And down shift before leaning in, not while, not after.

 

Thanks man, and guys in general.

post #3599 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

C'mon you just love those ridiculous chunky tires.

Guilty as charged.
post #3600 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

Nope. I won't even take my 800cc cruiser on the highway for an extended period of time. Maybe it's me being overly cautious, but with my max speed at like 93mph and my max *comfortable* speed at like 75-80 its hard to keep highway traffic in my rearview. And if you can't do that, you've got to be cautious about idiots swerving and who's coming up from behind you. Sure, you maybe think the slow lane is a safe place to hang out. WRONG, it's about the worst place to be. That's where all the merging happens, including mister jackass wanna be racer in the left lane Honda Civic with trashcan exhaust tips and a huge spoiler who'd rather put you on your ass than miss his exit...

Yeah, I'll spend more time on the highway when I can peg it at a comfortable 95 and hang out in the left lane. Will need a new bike for that. But I prefer to only worry about what's coming up in front. Not what's on my sides and rear.

Thats absurd for 99% of the posters here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles