or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 229

post #3421 of 4526

Dat saddlebag doe, phew!

 

I have a Corbin; it's constructed well with decent leather, but the actual comfort is questionable, at least in my application.

post #3422 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post


Just a leather shop here in town. I have a stock Bonneville seat so i'm having a local dude reupholster it for me. He's gonna bring the profile down a bit, add some memory foam and then a waterproof layer on top.

I didn't really like any of their seats and I'm looking for something classic like this:

5-1000x667.jpg


My name is Rumpels and I approve of this message

post #3423 of 4526
How do leather seats hold up to getting rained on?

Water just beads up on my vinyl seat and you can wipe/shake it off. I'd imagine that a wet leather seat with a waterproof membrane underneath would not be very comfortable to sit on. You could put something like snoseal or Obenauf's LP on it, but that shit would wear off into your pants.
post #3424 of 4526

Saw this for sale on CR yesterday.  Not really my style but like manna from heaven for the Wolverine boot, flannel shirt & Bell 500 helmet crew.  And only 3300 beans...obo

 

So, here's my CR750 replica street bike. Underneath it all is a 1977 CB750F2, with a little over 21,000 on the odometer. It runs, oil is fresh, tires are brand new. Needs carbs synched. Very unique bike/experience, but I have too many projects...

 

 

SAM_0757.jpg

SAM_0758.jpg

SAM_0760.jpg

SAM_0762.jpg

SAM_0759.jpg

SAM_0765.jpg

SAM_0766.jpg

post #3425 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Saw this for sale on CR yesterday.  Not really my style but like manna from heaven for the Wolverine boot, flannel shirt & Bell 500 helmet crew.  And only 3300 beans...obo

You and I have very different ideas about what this crowd rides. smile.gif I picture the folks in the Yamaha Bolt ads on cruisers and hard-tails, not faired cafe racers.

2013-yamaha-bolt-r-spec-1_600x0w.jpg
post #3426 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

How do leather seats hold up to getting rained on?

Water just beads up on my vinyl seat and you can wipe/shake it off. I'd imagine that a wet leather seat with a waterproof membrane underneath would not be very comfortable to sit on. You could put something like snoseal or Obenauf's LP on it, but that shit would wear off into your pants.

 

I've had no issues and mine sits in the rain all day fairly often. I just Lexol it.

post #3427 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post


You and I have very different ideas about what this crowd rides. smile.gif I picture the folks in the Yamaha Bolt ads on cruisers and hard-tails, not faired cafe racers.

2013-yamaha-bolt-r-spec-1_600x0w.jpg

 

 

 

The cafe racer crowd wears the same gear.  I see them roaring down the road at 35 mph with their flannel shirts just a-flapping

post #3428 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post



The cafe racer crowd wears the same gear.  I see them roaring down the road at 35 mph with their flannel shirts just a-flapping

Huh. I was going to say from what I've seen the cafe racer set looks more like TRINI, but then... wink.gif

9055857240_a8fbae3cea_c.jpg

Kidding aside, the bobber/cruiser/hardtail set seems more image conscious, less safety conscious. Bell Classic or no helmet, leather jacket with no pads and unzipped or no jacket at all, leather boots like Doc Martens or similar rather than motorcycle boots, denim jeans rather than Kevlar. Cafe riders favor vintage-look gear, but it's actual motorcycle gear and properly worn, from what I've seen.
post #3429 of 4526

Good gravy, motorcycle gloves and boots are expensive. frown.gif

post #3430 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

Good gravy, motorcycle gloves and boots are expensive. frown.gif

Compared to new hands and feet? smile.gif

Speaking of protection while riding, I added another review of inexpensive Kevlar jeans to the Motorcycle Jeans thread.
post #3431 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
Compared to new hands and feet? smile.gif
 

 

Oh indeed. I'm trying to up all my gear since I'm one of those squids riding around in jeans, ebayed 80s dainese boots, a fashion leather jacket, and elkskin gauntlets. My Bell Star helmet is my only nice piece of gear.

 

Badly want some real protection.

 

But damn... upwards of $300 for boots and $200 for gloves?

 

I need to stop browsing "MTO" threads here so I can save for more important things :D

post #3432 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

Oh indeed. I'm trying to up all my gear since I'm one of those squids riding around in jeans, ebayed 80s dainese boots, a fashion leather jacket, and elkskin gauntlets. My Bell Star helmet is my only nice piece of gear.

Badly want some real protection.

But damn... upwards of $300 for boots and $200 for gloves?

I need to stop browsing "MTO" threads here so I can save for more important things biggrin.gif

This is heresy, I know, but boots I sort of skimp on. Oof Revzilla's videos has a great guide on what to look for in motorcycle boots. I took those principles and shopped for regular boots and wound up with some Merrell 9" leather boots with steel toes and reinforced shank that do the job well and only cost me ~$50 at Sport Authority, and since they're designed for walking they're comfortable off the bike.The tricky part was finding something without lug soles to I can stay on the pegs firmly even when it's wet.

For gloves, you just have to suck it up and shell out the dough. smile.gif
post #3433 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post

This is heresy, I know, but boots I sort of skimp on. Oof Revzilla's videos has a great guide on what to look for in motorcycle boots. I took those principles and shopped for regular boots and wound up with some Merrell 9" leather boots with steel toes and reinforced shank that do the job well and only cost me ~$50 at Sport Authority, and since they're designed for walking they're comfortable off the bike.The tricky part was finding something without lug soles to I can stay on the pegs firmly even when it's wet.

For gloves, you just have to suck it up and shell out the dough. smile.gif
Have you crash tested them
post #3434 of 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

 

Oh indeed. I'm trying to up all my gear since I'm one of those squids riding around in jeans, ebayed 80s dainese boots, a fashion leather jacket, and elkskin gauntlets. My Bell Star helmet is my only nice piece of gear.

 

Badly want some real protection.

 

But damn... upwards of $300 for boots and $200 for gloves?

 

I need to stop browsing "MTO" threads here so I can save for more important things :D

 

Good gear costs.  Sadly $200 won't even get you top of the line gloves.  Ditto with boots.  Buy used from local (or not so local)  bike message boards.  BARF's classified section is extensive but you'd have to pay for shipping.  But those Cali boys always seem to have a shit-ton of nice gear for sale. You need to scap all that shite you wear and spend money

 

Now for your style of bike I would recommend (remember I am a brand whore)  the Dirty Seven by Spidi.  It is made from buffalo (tatonka) and looks more like a moto-styled jacket than a real jacket.  I think I like it even more than my precious Dainese, esp since the logo is oh so tiny.  I hate looking like a human billboard

 

http://www.spidi.com/media/catalog/product/cache/13/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/p/1/p111.jpg

 

Dainese Vintage.  It is actually a nice jacket that looks and feels old fresh off the hanger yet is safe yet you won't look like a power ranger.  You could have a tailor pick off the dainese lettering going across the chest but really is not very noticeable in real world conditions.  I've tried it on and it runs about a size small

 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aoUWuLKZAAU/UEzu5QXGYiI/AAAAAAAAVS8/uey5ybW2V2I/s1600/dainese+vintage+jacket2.jpg

 

 

Dainese Lucky is an 80s style discontinued jacket.  I always wanted one but it's baby friggin blue and I don't think my manhood could take it.  I had a place in Europe that had them new in stock a little while back. 

 

Pr_6371_or.jpghttp://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0014/3520/Dainese_Lucky_Leather_Jacket_Ice-Blue-Red_zoom.jpg

 

 

Dainese HF Special is another option.  Again, you might be hard pressed to find one new

 

post #3435 of 4526

I don't own a Ducati, so no Dainese jacket for me tongue.gif

 

I own an American bike; I'll hold out for a Made-in-USA jacket. I keep eye-fucking used Vansons on fleabay.

 

Gloves, I've been lusting over 'roo Held's.

 

Boots... I have no clue where to even start.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles