or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 214

post #3196 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post

Motorcycle experts of SF:

I'm very new to motorcycles, currently in the market for my first bike. I'm probably going to end up going with a Honda CB, mid-to-late 70s, or something of a similar style. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, so my plan is to get something in good shape rather than a 'project.' What things should be I be checking before I buy? Any specific/common issues I should be looking for? Appreciate the help, gents.

If you're new to bikes and not mechanically inclined, get something newer. Even a well-maintained old bike is going to have problems because it's old, parts are going to give out, old wires will fray. Track down a used CBR250R or Ninja, or if you want a standard and aren't power mad like most ill-advised newbies, a Suzuki TU250X, SymWolf Classic or Cleveland Misfit which have old-school style and power but are new.
post #3197 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post

Motorcycle experts of SF:

I'm very new to motorcycles, currently in the market for my first bike. I'm probably going to end up going with a Honda CB, mid-to-late 70s, or something of a similar style. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, so my plan is to get something in good shape rather than a 'project.' What things should be I be checking before I buy? Any specific/common issues I should be looking for? Appreciate the help, gents.

 

 

Late 80s, early to mid 90s bikes like the Honda Hawk, Honda CB400, Suzuki SV500, Kawi ex500...


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 7/29/13 at 8:50am
post #3198 of 4533
The Hawk is a sweet, sweet bike.
post #3199 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

The Hawk is a sweet, sweet bike.


Have you ever ridden a super hawk? Not a beginner bike but it is another cult classic. 

 

http://lovely-pics.com/data/media/16/honda_vtr_1000_superhawk_996_2005.jpg

 

 

 

An older friend of mine had one and rode the piss out of it, small gas tank and all.  track days, long trips, around town, backroads...everything.  Ended up totalling it on the track (cracked engine case but insurance covered it because it was written up as a "rider education program") so he bought a cbr1000 (the heavy one from 2006).  He still misses it all these years later.

post #3200 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

The Hawk is a sweet, sweet bike.

Everyone that's had one seems to regret selling it, but I don't get how people do in the first place. I've added bikes, but nothing I've run across would replace it for me.. If the damned this could hold another gallon of gas, it'd be perfect. smile.gif

My dream Honda stable is my Hawk GT and a GB500TT:



...maybe after the sport bike is gone...
post #3201 of 4533
Guys - I'm fuct (in a good way)

I've decided that my bike is gonna be a more street tracker than cafe racer. My wrists can't take it.

Doesn't significantly change the mods I had in mind but it does mean I need a new seat and bars. I'm thinking Biltwell trackers but I'm also tempted by their MX bars.
post #3202 of 4533
Ok, now I think I might want a Hawk GT (although they seem pretty expensive compared to a SV650 because of the rarity)

Is my 6'2 ass going to fit on it? the sv650 (naked) is a bigger bike, but I don't feel like I actually need the extra power and I am guessing the Hawk might be easier to work on and a little more elegant (I *hate* the sv650's parts-bin swingarm). Fuel injection might be nice, but I can deal with carbs on a reliable bike.

There is this one for sale in Milwaukee for a price that seems low (but its got 34k miles). There is a similar one for the same price in Rockford but the amount of rust on the exhaust and some of the mods scare me.

This one on ebay looks great, but who knows if the auction will finish high (though it may not be the first time he has listed it since the text refers to starting the auction at $4k). Its quite a hike down there so I wouldn't be able to see it soon...and that easily takes you into the price range of a fuel-injected and maybe-ABS sv650
post #3203 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Ok, now I think I might want a Hawk GT (although they seem pretty expensive compared to a SV650 because of the rarity)

Is my 6'2 ass going to fit on it? the sv650 (naked) is a bigger bike, but I don't feel like I actually need the extra power and I am guessing the Hawk might be easier to work on and a little more elegant (I *hate* the sv650's parts-bin swingarm). Fuel injection might be nice, but I can deal with carbs on a reliable bike.

There is this one for sale in Milwaukee for a price that seems low (but its got 34k miles). There is a similar one for the same price in Rockford but the amount of rust on the exhaust and some of the mods scare me.

This one on ebay looks great, but who knows if the auction will finish high (though it may not be the first time he has listed it since the text refers to starting the auction at $4k). Its quite a hike down there so I wouldn't be able to see it soon...and that easily takes you into the price range of a fuel-injected and maybe-ABS sv650

 

$2k for a 24 year old bike?  That being said there are a lot of mids you can do.  You can swap out wheels and forks from a CBR600 F2 to get dual disks up front and I believe the rear wheel from a early 90s VFR is a direct swap as well. I remember people used to complain about the exhaust almost hiding the fact it had a single sided swingarm so there were a lot of aftermarket pipes to be had.  I'd go for the one in South Milwaukee because it has less mods plus it comes with the stock stubby exhaust.

post #3204 of 4533

How about scooters, anyone?

 

My drive to work is 2 miles; there's usually not even time to warm-up enough to push the choke all the way in on the Buell by the time I get to work, and it's also a pain to get out of my garage and ride when I'm half asleep, especially given I'm short.

 

I tried riding my bicycle a few times, but that just turns me in to a sweaty mess.

 

I thought a scooter might be a fun and economical way to commute to work. But, seems like any make scooter that isn't some random Chinese brand is +$2k, though, which is just way too much for what it is IMO.

 

Maybe I just need one of those small 125cc bikes.

post #3205 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

How about scooters, anyone?

My drive to work is 2 miles; there's usually not even time to warm-up enough to push the choke all the way in on the Buell by the time I get to work, and it's also a pain to get out of my garage and ride when I'm half asleep, especially given I'm short.

I tried riding my bicycle a few times, but that just turns me in to a sweaty mess.

I thought a scooter might be a fun and economical way to commute to work. But, seems like any make scooter that isn't some random Chinese brand is +$2k, though, which is just way too much for what it is IMO.

Maybe I just need one of those small 125cc bikes.

I have a scooter (Aprilia Scarabeo) that I use to get me to and from work and it's great. 185cc engine, 16" wheels and I filled up every 2 weeks for less than $10. I was tempted about selling it and just riding my motorcycle to work but then realized that it's so much easier for carrying my workbag and lunch, etc instead of a backpack. It also doesn't mess up my suits or shoes.

I paid around $1700 used for mine - I'm sure you can find one for a better price in the US.
post #3206 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

How about scooters, anyone?

My drive to work is 2 miles; there's usually not even time to warm-up enough to push the choke all the way in on the Buell by the time I get to work, and it's also a pain to get out of my garage and ride when I'm half asleep, especially given I'm short.

I tried riding my bicycle a few times, but that just turns me in to a sweaty mess.

I thought a scooter might be a fun and economical way to commute to work. But, seems like any make scooter that isn't some random Chinese brand is +$2k, though, which is just way too much for what it is IMO.

Maybe I just need one of those small 125cc bikes.

No offense bro, but if a 2 mile bike ride turns you into a sweaty mess, you've got bigger problems.

Even so, I ride my bike a lot, and I find that if its been more than a few weeks since I have done any real riding, it takes a lot more perceived effort to push the pedals...once I get used to it again, it is easy going. Maybe try riding the bike for a whole week and see how you feel at the end. 2 miles at an easy pace should be no problem.
post #3207 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post


I have a scooter (Aprilia Scarabeo) that I use to get me to and from work and it's great. 185cc engine, 16" wheels and I filled up every 2 weeks for less than $10. I was tempted about selling it and just riding my motorcycle to work but then realized that it's so much easier for carrying my workbag and lunch, etc instead of a backpack. It also doesn't mess up my suits or shoes.

I paid around $1700 used for mine - I'm sure you can find one for a better price in the US.

 

Sounds sweet man; seems ideal.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


No offense bro, but if a 2 mile bike ride turns you into a sweaty mess, you've got bigger problems.

Even so, I ride my bike a lot, and I find that if its been more than a few weeks since I have done any real riding, it takes a lot more perceived effort to push the pedals...once I get used to it again, it is easy going. Maybe try riding the bike for a whole week and see how you feel at the end. 2 miles at an easy pace should be no problem.

 

I sweat just sitting at my desk. I am always warm. I rode my bicycle every day in college as my primary means of transportation. It would be sub-freezing temperatures and I'd have a light hoodie and basketball shorts on, and I'd still be a mess by the time I got to class. I have no patience for lolly-gagging on a bicycle. I am far from a wheezing fat slob. I sweat very easily, period. High metabolism + muscle mass insulation.

post #3208 of 4533
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Ok, now I think I might want a Hawk GT (although they seem pretty expensive compared to a SV650 because of the rarity)

Is my 6'2 ass going to fit on it? the sv650 (naked) is a bigger bike, but I don't feel like I actually need the extra power and I am guessing the Hawk might be easier to work on and a little more elegant (I *hate* the sv650's parts-bin swingarm). Fuel injection might be nice, but I can deal with carbs on a reliable bike.

I LOVE the Hawk GT - it was my dream bike in the late 80s, and I don't think I'd ever sell mine, but I wouldn't pay the crazy money I see people ask for them on eBay. A couple have gone for over $4k recently - unless you have some nostalgic connection, there are better, newer bikes to be had.

As far as fit, swing by www.cycle-ergo.com and put in your stats to see. Looks to me as if the SV650 and NT650 would have the same fit for you.
post #3209 of 4533
Can someone explain the downsides of running dual-sport tires on the street? Like what are the tradeoffs vs. normal road tires?

I'm inspired...

IMG_1121.jpg
post #3210 of 4533
Lousy traction that will leave you on your ass if you ride it like anything other than an old lady. I don't get this trend that I've been seeing a lot lately. Who would want to put big ass knobby dirt tires on a street bike? I think this trend is more about people who are more concerned about the aesthetic rather than the performance or even the safety of the bike. I think people who do this are more dilettantes than motorcyclists.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles