or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 211

post #3151 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

It has served me well in the city and on lake shore drive...but I get a little nervous the handful of times I have taken it on the interstate....it seems to go 80 without complaints (although I worry about a 30 year old engine spinning so fast for long period), but once you are going ~70, it runs out of acceleration power for passing.

Funny, there's a guy on my block with a kz400 - your name's not Bryan, is it? Anyway, you're doing 70 on the local interstates, and trying to pass people? smile.gif My cb400 has a little grunt left at 70; the meat of the power-band starts around there and tapers off at 9500 rpm (98mph) so I can still get around someone, but it would take 4 or 5 secs, so hardly passing with authority. I tend to keep it at around 70, though. I'm really only nervous on I88, where avg cruising speed seems to be around 90 if traffic isn't at a standstill. The real issue for me is fighting the wind - I've got a small fairing I got on eBay, but I haven't installed it yet - hoping that will make it more comfortable. Mostly, I take the Hawk GT for highway riding.
post #3152 of 4585

1985 Honda Shadow 500 my uncle gave me when I was 20.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

CC's alone is not a great qualifier.

 

As stated numerous times, my first bike is a 1203cc Buell. It revs to 6500 RPM, free-revs slowly, and has a linear powerband. You'd have to be a real twat to fuck-up on it. I am far from a good rider, and I'm a pretty shitty driver.

 

I laid-down my buddy's 600cc R6 when I was 18.

 

That thing revved about 100x quicker than my antiquated Harley motor and makes nearly 30hp more.

 

...with HALF the cc's.

 

I've also putted around on my Dad's R75/6. Try to tell me that 50hp 750cc is too much for a beginner. facepalm.gif

 

 

beginners tend to lean on teh bars and accidentally accelerate.  Then once the bike jumps away they normally lose their footing and in an attempt to hang on continue to accelerate until they end up hitting a parked car, a tree, the side of a building or they just said out into traffic, sometimes with tragic results. A bike such as your hp low but torquey Buell is a bad choice for a beginner

post #3153 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post

Funny, there's a guy on my block with a kz400 - your name's not Bryan, is it? Anyway, you're doing 70 on the local interstates, and trying to pass people? smile.gif My cb400 has a little grunt left at 70; the meat of the power-band starts around there and tapers off at 9500 rpm (98mph) so I can still get around someone, but it would take 4 or 5 secs, so hardly passing with authority. I tend to keep it at around 70, though. I'm really only nervous on I88, where avg cruising speed seems to be around 90 if traffic isn't at a standstill. The real issue for me is fighting the wind - I've got a small fairing I got on eBay, but I haven't installed it yet - hoping that will make it more comfortable. Mostly, I take the Hawk GT for highway riding.

Nope, I'm not named Bryan. But I do keep the bike on the street over on Pine Grove.

I honestly don't have any wind problems on the bike. Its got lower-than-stock bars on it so I am leaned forward a bit more...but I never feel like I am fighting with the wind or anything. Of course I have never ridden a fully faired and windscreened bike...so maybe I just don't know what I am missing.
I rarely have any reason to take it out of the city...although at the end of last year I ended up travelling to *both* Ikeas (should have called about inventory first...) as well as loading it up taking it 2 hours up to michigan for the weekend. Travelling around the suburbs at odd times with empty roads was fine, but being in i94 traffic through indianna was less pleasant. The bike didn't have trouble flowing with traffic, but it lacked the ability to quickly change speeds (even down to an extent...brake technology has advanced) which I interpret as the ability to get out of sticky situations.
Also, again, I just don't know how much the 30+ year old engine likes spinning that fast for long periods of time (although it is certainly getting plenty of air cooling at 75mph). Its got 28k miles on it, and I don't know anything about what has been rebuilt or replaced besides what I have done myself.
Edited by otc - 7/21/13 at 9:47pm
post #3154 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I honestly don't have any wind problems on the bike. Its got lower-than-stock bars on it so I am leaned forward a bit more...but I never feel like I am fighting with the wind or anything. Of course I have never ridden a fully faired and windscreened bike...so maybe I just don't know what I am missing...

Also, again, I just don't know how much the 30+ year old engine likes spinning that fast for long periods of time (although it is certainly getting plenty of air cooling at 75mph). Its got 28k miles on it, and I don't know anything about what has been rebuilt or replaced besides what I have done myself.

Ah, the lean helps. The cb400 has 0-degree lean angle and a 90-degree leg angle, so it's comfortable as sitting in a chair while riding around the city, but aerodynamically, not so great. My NT650 has no fairing, but the 20* lean makes it more comfortable at speed.

As for rpm, do what's comfortable for you. My cb400 is just as old but these were made to run at high rpms - I just keep the oil changed and other maintenance up to date and enjoy. I know several cb400 owners that feel the same as you, but to me you can't granny-shift the bike and then complain it's slow, which a lot of guys do.
post #3155 of 4585
What a fucking weekend. Beautiful weather outside but I chose to get this laundry list of mods done:

- Airbox cut out and replaced
- Pod filter in
- Carbs mostly rejetted (replaced the mains but was terrified that I'd strip the pilots so left the existing one in for now)
- Ignition relocation
- Rear fender removed and fender elimination kit installed. Brake light works, running light doesn't.
- rear shock-mounter turn signals installed - left signal works, right one doesn't.

Phew.

Next up - figure out why the lights aren't working and replace the current exhausts with the new ones.
post #3156 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post

As for rpm, do what's comfortable for you. My cb400 is just as old but these were made to run at high rpms - I just keep the oil changed and other maintenance up to date and enjoy. I know several cb400 owners that feel the same as you, but to me you can't granny-shift the bike and then complain it's slow, which a lot of guys do.

Oh yeah, I figure I bought it to have fun, so I am not overly kind to it. I don't want to abuse it senselessly, but I ride it like it was meant to be ridden. Its an old bike, but I'm not a collector.

I just don't really want it to blow up in the interstate 80 miles from home...no problem spinning it through the gears around town, but the interstate keeps me wary since its a situation the bike isn't usually in (running at a steady, high-RPM for long periods of time) and would leave me far from home if it did fail.
post #3157 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

What a fucking weekend. Beautiful weather outside but I chose to get this laundry list of mods done:

- Airbox cut out and replaced
- Pod filter in
- Carbs mostly rejetted (replaced the mains but was terrified that I'd strip the pilots so left the existing one in for now)
- Ignition relocation
- Rear fender removed and fender elimination kit installed. Brake light works, running light doesn't.
- rear shock-mounter turn signals installed - left signal works, right one doesn't.

Phew.

Next up - figure out why the lights aren't working and replace the current exhausts with the new ones.

Pics or it didn't happen.
post #3158 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

Pics or it didn't happen.

9352539668_24117198eb_c.jpg

Rear shock question for you guys. To remove the airbox , I had to take the rear shocks off. Apparently when they come off, the rubber bushing is supposed to come off w/ the shock, thus exposing the naked metal shock mount on the bike frame.

Well, that didn't happen with me. The shock came off, rubber bushing stayed firmly planted to the shock mount. Some silicon grease on both the shock and the rubber bushing got the shocks back onto the bike but I'm wondering if that's ok with the bolt holding the shock in properly torqued or am I'm going to be riding a death trap waiting to happen?
post #3159 of 4585

Bike looks good breh.

post #3160 of 4585

9055857240_a8fbae3cea_c.jpg9352539668_24117198eb_c.jpg

 

Nice before and after. Lemme see what other random comment I can make that will make you spend some money  photo ride.gif

post #3161 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

Bike looks good breh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Nice before and after. Lemme see what other random comment I can make that will make you spend some money  photo ride.gif

Thanks bruhs.

Before you say anything about the exhaust, I have a pair of these going on as soon as the fucking stuck nut on the passenger footpegs decides to come off:

Carlos%20PICS%20402.jpg

Also, please don't say anything about the gauges because this has been dancing its beautiful black way into my dreams of late:

ys2b6867_copy.jpg
post #3162 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post



Thanks bruhs.

Before you say anything about the exhaust, I have a pair of these going on as soon as the fucking stuck nut on the passenger footpegs decides to come off:

Carlos%20PICS%20402.jpg

Also, please don't say anything about the gauges because this has been dancing its beautiful black way into my dreams of late:

ys2b6867_copy.jpg

 

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/brotha_bel/smilies/laugh3-smiley_zpsdf07b25b.gifhttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/brotha_bel/smilies/laugh3-smiley_zpsdf07b25b.gifhttp://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/brotha_bel/smilies/laugh3-smiley_zpsdf07b25b.gif Friggin mindreader

 

 

 

How about bar end turn signals?  I like the flat ones better

 

 

 

 

http://motogadget.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/800x600/62defc7f46f3fbfc8afcd112227d1181/m/b/mblaze_anbau_lsl_1_800_1.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Or what about one of these mounted flush in your tank?

 

 

http://u.jimdo.com/www31/o/s570099faf84e5415/img/i416326bad16c8082/1323329888/orig/image.jpg

 

post #3163 of 4585
Temptation reared its head today. I've been looking to trade my 2009 Mini Cooper for a truck in case I ever need to transport a bike or parts and a buddy said he'd take the Mini for some cash - and his 2006 CBR600RR! I've always liked these:

(not actual bike)



With the rest of the money, I could just get an older truck. I'm heading by to take a look at it tomorrow.
post #3164 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

laugh3-smiley_zpsdf07b25b.giflaugh3-smiley_zpsdf07b25b.giflaugh3-smiley_zpsdf07b25b.gif Friggin mindreader



How about bar end turn signals?  I like the flat ones better



Or what about one of these mounted flush in your tank?

I never really considered the bar-end turn signals. My heart is set on that chronoclassic gauge. I have that planned as a next-year expense but if (when?) I make it down to Austin this year, I plan on stopping by Revival Cycles who carry them.

I've seen those flush-mounted tank gauges before but they seem more suited to a cruiser than a cafe. I've seen cafes with headlight flush mounted gauges but then the bike looks lime it's missing something.

Anyways, got the running light and turn signals sorted but the nuts holding the exhaust on stent budging even after copious doses of penetrating oil. I'm thinking of leaving that to the bike shop to sort out before I strip the nut and property fuck myself over.
post #3165 of 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

I never really considered the bar-end turn signals.

There's no bike those look right on, imo.
Quote:
I've seen those flush-mounted tank gauges before but they seem more suited to a cruiser than a cafe. I've seen cafes with headlight flush mounted gauges but then the bike looks lime it's missing something.

The tank gauges are definitely for big ol' cruisers with a lot of chrome, but the headlight instruments look great in cafe-style bikes, as they have the same visual function as clip-ons or club bars with end mirrors: they lower the profile of the bike. People have said for years that the Honda NT650 is a small, low bike, but I never saw that until I went to bar-end mirrors, so that nothing on the bike is above waist-high. If I replaced the speedo/tach with something aftermarket, it'd be lower still.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles