or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 209

post #3121 of 4604
Ok folks, got the temp liscense in hand and am signed up for the MSF course. Let another money-pit hobby begin!
post #3122 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I think those new honda 500s will be less rev-happy than your future bikes if you aim to take it to the track.

For that reason, I wonder if the ninja 250 wouldn't be a good bike to start with. It will get you used to keeping the engine revved up into the power band (since there's not much power to work with) which should translate well to future track time on something like a CBR600. The ninja redlines at something like 14-15k while the honda 500s only go to 8.5k.

At the same time, the 500 might not be a terrible choice. I've obviously never ridden one, but if they've got a long, smooth, power band, they are going to be a pretty forgiving bike and you might want to keep it longer than the ninja 250. They sound like awesome bikes and I might want one myself in the future...but if your plan is to move into a real sportsbike after you get your bearings, then I think you would be better suited by learning how to push the ninjette to its limits and then stepping up.

250 is definitely better for starting with on the track since you really learn how to carry speed through curves better. But on the highway, absolutely brutal buzzing to get to speed.

Why not an SV650? Good street bike, good track bike.
post #3123 of 4604
Almost twice the hp and tq as the 250s. Consensus Ive seen on forums is that power might be a handful for someone who's never sat on a bike.
post #3124 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Almost twice the hp and tq as the 250s. Consensus Ive seen on forums is that power might be a handful for someone who's never sat on a bike.

 

What do you think is your personal style?  What kind of riding do you envision yourself doing?  How tall are you? That will help us find the perfect first (or second...or third...or fourth) bike for you

 

 

Kawasaki KLX250SF -  great if you live mostly comute or live in/near an urban environment and can't see yourself taking long trips very often

 

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2010models/2010-Kawasaki-KLX250SFd.jpg

 

 

Honda Rebel 250 - these have been around forever and can be had for peanuts.  They don't make much power though

 

http://autobikegallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2013-Honda-Rebel-250-CMX250C-black.jpg


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 7/18/13 at 11:25am
post #3125 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Almost twice the hp and tq as the 250s. Consensus Ive seen on forums is that power might be a handful for someone who's never sat on a bike.

 

I learned on a 1203cc 93hp buell last summer. I would get an SV650 or a 500 and skip the 250 step altogether. But others think that's foolish.

post #3126 of 4604
I started out on a ratty VFR800 with a bent frame - didn't kill myself. Had a Ninja 250 for a while, but just found it too annoying to ride. Bought a Multistrada 1200 which i only sold when I left California (IMO there is no bike that even comes close to how perfect that bike is).

It all depends on what your personality is like. If you are 16-24 or so and like to speed a lot in a car and generally weave through traffic, then (1) don't get a bike because you are an asshole and (2) if you get a bike, get an underpowered 250 to get you by until you grow up. If you are the kind of person who is buying a 250 because you are very safety conscious and don't want to over-buy, then you can probably get an SV650 and just be responsible about it. Basically the people who should start on Ninja 250s are the ones least likely to do so.

I'd buy an SV650 and have someone chip it downward in power rather than flipping a 250 after a year or so if I was really concerned. I wouldn't buy a fully-faired bike because bike plastic is expensive.
post #3127 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

What do you think is your personal style?  What kind of riding do you envision yourself doing?  How tall are you? That will help us find the perfect first (or second...or third...or fourth) bike for you

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Kawasaki KLX250SF -  great if you live mostly comute or live in/near an urban environment and can't see yourself taking long trips very often

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2010models/2010-Kawasaki-KLX250SFd.jpg



Honda Rebel 250 - these have been around forever and can be had for peanuts.  They don't make much power though

http://autobikegallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2013-Honda-Rebel-250-CMX250C-black.jpg

Well...I think our suggestions were based on the fact that he sold his track car and wanted to get in to motorcycles to replace that smile.gif Something tells me a Rebel isn't what he is looking for.
post #3128 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I started out on a ratty VFR800 with a bent frame - didn't kill myself. Had a Ninja 250 for a while, but just found it too annoying to ride. Bought a Multistrada 1200 which i only sold when I left California (IMO there is no bike that even comes close to how perfect that bike is).

It all depends on what your personality is like. If you are 16-24 or so and like to speed a lot in a car and generally weave through traffic, then (1) don't get a bike because you are an asshole and (2) if you get a bike, get an underpowered 250 to get you by until you grow up. If you are the kind of person who is buying a 250 because you are very safety conscious and don't want to over-buy, then you can probably get an SV650 and just be responsible about it. Basically the people who should start on Ninja 250s are the ones least likely to do so.

I'd buy an SV650 and have someone chip it downward in power rather than flipping a 250 after a year or so if I was really concerned. I wouldn't buy a fully-faired bike because bike plastic is expensive.

I think its true that you don't *need* to start out on a 250 (my bike is a 400...although I suspect a new ninja 250 is 10x faster than a 30-year-old 400). But Most people would agree that a something like a CBR600 or equivalent is not a great bike to learn on.

I think that what most people are saying is that if the end goal is track riding a super sport bike like that, then a ninja 250 is going to make you a better rider for that style of bike. and 250 to 600 is probably an easier and cheaper upgrade path than having an SV650 or CBR500, deciding it doesn't have quite enough power on the track, and then making a smaller scale upgrade to a much higher revving bike.
post #3129 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


Well...I think our suggestions were based on the fact that he sold his track car and wanted to get in to motorcycles to replace that smile.gif Something tells me a Rebel isn't what he is looking for.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Is that Billy Joel's garage?

Q for anyone- I recently sold my track car and want to take up moyorcycles. Thinking about one of those new 500cc honda cbrs to learn on. Any reason that wouldnt be a good move?

 

 

http://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/homer_bush_gif.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


I think its true that you don't *need* to start out on a 250 (my bike is a 400...although I suspect a new ninja 250 is 10x faster than a 30-year-old 400). But Most people would agree that a something like a CBR600 or equivalent is not a great bike to learn on.

I think that what most people are saying is that if the end goal is track riding a super sport bike like that, then a ninja 250 is going to make you a better rider for that style of bike. and 250 to 600 is probably an easier and cheaper upgrade path than having an SV650 or CBR500, deciding it doesn't have quite enough power on the track, and then making a smaller scale upgrade to a much higher revving bike.

 


this

post #3130 of 4604
Go big or go home.
http://www.ducati.com/racing/motogp/bike/index.do
post #3131 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

It all depends on what your personality is like. If you are 16-24 or so and like to speed a lot in a car and generally weave through traffic, then (1) don't get a bike because you are an asshole...

 

I lol'ed.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I wouldn't buy a fully-faired bike because bike plastic is expensive.
 
So true.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I think that what most people are saying is that if the end goal is track riding a super sport bike like that, then a ninja 250 is going to make you a better rider for that style of bike. 

 

By that logic, a 2-stroke is worth a look.

post #3132 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I think its true that you don't *need* to start out on a 250 (my bike is a 400...although I suspect a new ninja 250 is 10x faster than a 30-year-old 400). But Most people would agree that a something like a CBR600 or equivalent is not a great bike to learn on.

I think that what most people are saying is that if the end goal is track riding a super sport bike like that, then a ninja 250 is going to make you a better rider for that style of bike. and 250 to 600 is probably an easier and cheaper upgrade path than having an SV650 or CBR500, deciding it doesn't have quite enough power on the track, and then making a smaller scale upgrade to a much higher revving bike.

Agreed. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been at a track day and said "You know what the new guy needs? More horsepower." More common is some poor rookie in a 911 or Corvette frustrated because people in Miatas are passing him. I don't think the cost to transition from a Ninja 250 or CBR250R to, say, a CBR600RR would be all that significant, and would definitely be worth it.
post #3133 of 4604
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post

Agreed. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been at a track day and said "You know what the new guy needs? More horsepower." More common is some poor rookie in a 911 or Corvette frustrated because people in Miatas are passing him. I don't think the cost to transition from a Ninja 250 or CBR250R to, say, a CBR600RR would be all that significant, and would definitely be worth it.

This is exactly right at the track, and maybe even more so for motorcycles.
post #3134 of 4604
post #3135 of 4604
Quote:

I like their advice about practice. With cars, people get their permit as soon as possible, practice driving at every opportunity annoying their parents endlessly, then finally take the test as buy a beater that can barely get out of its own way.

With motorcycles in the US, people get their permit, take a safety course that usually gets them their license after about 12 hours of riding, and get a bike that will leave most cars in its dust (my 25 year-old Honda will do 0-60 in 3.8secs - and is considered slow). And off they go to hit the interstate and see what that baby will do. The idea of practicing skills in the real world and building up miles gradually is rarely mentioned - people count themselves successful good riders if they simply come home alive.

Speaking of which, also read "Sweat or Bleed."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles