or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 188

post #2806 of 4800

My god.  People will argue over anything.  

post #2807 of 4800

Certain things I take seriously and riding is one of them.  I have taken new riders under my wing and corrected them on what seems to be common sense yet they are clueless about it.  Things like: front brakes do most of the work, regular blue jeans shred like toilet paper at anything over 25 mph, you can't replace fingers so don't wear fingerless gloves, push right to go right, the middle of the lane is the worst place to be, you can wash sweat off but you can't wash scars away, take care of your chain regularly & don't ride on a patched tire. 

 

You might call me a gear nazi but I have dead friends, paralyzed friends and friends that will limp forever and some that just had broken bones and road rash because they assumed something they were wearing provided enough protection.  If you are a seasoned rider then you know better but new and/or inexperienced riders tend to listen to the worst advice around.  And this advice about boots was pretty damn bad.

post #2808 of 4800
You're right. Everybody disregard all my previous opinions about the Chippewa boots, they are utterly useless. You're better off wearing slippers.
post #2809 of 4800
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post

You're right. Everybody disregard all my previous opinions about the Chippewa boots, they are utterly useless. You're better off wearing slippers.

Go barefoot or go home.
post #2810 of 4800
Well, I've been in the motorcycle industry for over 20 years, curate and manage one of the largest collections in the US and raced solo (rs125r and a Vincent), sidecar (bmw) and enduro (husqvarna) but all of that means absolutely nothing pertaining to my comment. Being obnoxiously rude doesn't get your point across...however well meaning it may be.
post #2811 of 4800

I ride to work in jeans and whatever boots match my outfit.

 

Riding is inherently more dangerous than being a cager, and something everyone who rides accepts.

 

You can mitigate serious injury with gear, but you can similarly do so with your eyes and brain.

 

You think not wearing armored boots is bad, try living in a no-helmet-law state... those people are nutty!

post #2812 of 4800
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgliComet View Post

Being obnoxiously rude doesn't get your point across...however well meaning it may be.

 

I just responded in kind.  I will admit that sometimes my writing style comes across as harsh in tone

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

I ride to work in jeans and whatever boots match my outfit.

 

Riding is inherently more dangerous than being a cager, and something everyone who rides accepts.

 

You can mitigate serious injury with gear, but you can similarly do so with your eyes and brain.

 

You think not wearing armored boots is bad, try living in a no-helmet-law state... those people are nutty!

 

I wear jeans a lot more than I should, especially since I have plenty gear.

 

8603560666_a82c8e7a09_n.jpg

 

But I do so without any false sense of security.  I'm fully aware that it's my ass (literally) if it all goes bad out there. 

 

MD used to be a no helmet law state and I used to ride without one sometimes.  I had a fly smack straight into my eyeball at 15 mph.  Who knew that could hurt so much?  I almost crashed (and would have probably gotten hit by a car as well).  Picking bits and pieces of dead fly out of my eye on the side of the road was no fun either.  Then I thought "What if that had been a piece of gravel" and that was the end of my helmetless riding.    


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 4/14/13 at 6:38pm
post #2813 of 4800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Dress for the ride, bring along a change for after the ride is my motto. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

Certain things I take seriously and riding is one of them. regular blue jeans shred like toilet paper at anything over 25 mph,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post


I wear jeans a lot more than I should, especially since I have plenty gear.

Jesus H. Christ! You have a shit fit because the boots I recommend don't meet your standards and warn of dire results if one happens to hit the pavement while wearing them. Then you say blue jeans offer as much protection as toilet paper. So just how seriously do you take your riding, as well as your motto? Well if you ever go down (I hope that never happens) at least your feet will look good.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #2814 of 4800
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post




Jesus H. Christ! You have a shit fit because the boots I recommend don't meet your standards and warn of dire results if one happens to hit the pavement while wearing them. Then you say blue jeans offer as much protection as toilet paper. So just how seriously do you take your riding, as well as your motto? Well if you ever go down (I hope that never happens) at least your feet will look good.
 

 

 

http://shawnpwilliams.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/riflog1.gif

 

 

You are in such a rush to prove me wrong or a hypocrite that you glossed over these 2 key quotes

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post


Just as I used to be cool when I rode in high top Reebok pumps (dating myself), boat shoes or Frye Harness boots.  I know better now.  However I have read every single page of this thread and there are a lot of people here who don't know anything about gear and might actually listen to and believe you regarding the relative safety of these boots

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
I wear jeans a lot more than I should, especially since I have plenty gear.  But I do so without any false sense of security.  I'm fully aware that it's my ass (literally) if it all goes bad out there. 

 

 

I have leather pants that zip to my jackets to form 2 piece suits.  I have a 1 piece leather suit.  Sometimes I wear cargo pants on over my 1 piece (so that I can have pockets and don't look like a Power Ranger) and ride like that.  And sometimes I wear a jacket with a pair of non-kevlar lined non-armoured jeans.  I know the risks and sometimes I take them.  That is my personal choice.  However you will never hear me say "denim jeans are safe enough to ride in" because they rally aren't. Rather I'd recommend an armoured base layer like this piece by Forcefield or a pair of armoured shorts like this one by A*  mated with a pair of strap on knee guards as well as some kevlar reinforced riding jeans.

 

All that is quite different from advising people who may not know any better that a piece of gear is safer than it really is.

post #2815 of 4800
Read what I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post

I have the Chippewa Rally Boots. They are well made old style moto boots. They don't have any armor like plastic race boots (not my cup of tea) but they are substantial and are good for a non armored boot. The only thing I don't like are the velcro closures. They wear out after awhile. I'll probably just have them replaced with snaps by a cobbler when the time comes or just new velcro. I like them because they look good either under jeans or with my leather race pants tucked into the tops. I believe Chippewa has a re crafting program when the boots need refurbishing.

facepalm.gif I didn't say they were the ultimate in boot protection. Thank God you're here to look out for all the people who don't know any better that I keep trying to bamboozle. You're a true hero.
post #2816 of 4800

photo picardfacepalm_zps0468b8f6.gif


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 4/14/13 at 11:55pm
post #2817 of 4800

Here's an idea, how about you two numbskulls take your pissing contest and flippant comments offline so we don't all have to keep laughing at how ridiculous you both sound.

 

post #2818 of 4800
Where's the fun in that?
post #2819 of 4800

So classy.

post #2820 of 4800
^Lighten up Francis.


What are some of the bikes from your past that you would have liked to have owned but never did?

For me it would be a Kawasaki H2:



A Moto Guzzi Le Mans:



An MV Augusta American Sport:



Just a few of a very long list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles