or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 164

post #2446 of 4796
dang man I just posted that to mess with you, but you get but hurt instead. plain.gif
post #2447 of 4796
^^^ There seems to be a decent mix here (from what i've seen). I ride an older cafe, someone recently grabbed a thruxton and there's a sport classic/GT here as well. A bit of everything it seems.
post #2448 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

dang man I just posted that to mess with you, but you get but hurt instead. plain.gif

It's ohhh tayyy smile.gif. I guess I'm just tired of all my friends ragging on me for not getting a sportbike. The ladies do seem to prefer sportbikes, but I still like my boring old cruiser.
post #2449 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

Do most of you ride sport bikes or cruisers?

 

I ride a cruiser currently. It's what I started on. If I could have it my way, I'd have a cruiser, a track bike (BMW S1000RR makes me drool), a standard (Bonnie or Thrux) and a dual sport touring bike (BMW GS). If I had a sport bike, I probably wouldn't ride it as much in traffic as my cruiser (or standard if I had one) because the gearing would likely be a lot revvier. The gearbox in a cruiser is generally a lot more forgiving, and the gears themselves much taller. That means less shifting and more usable power at lower RPMs.

 

Unfortunately, I've been discovering that I tend to require a solid adrenaline fix every so often. Considering all the mods I've been doing and my riding style, people tell me I don't really ride my cruiser like a cruiser.... But then again, my Triumph Speedmaster ain't your average cruiser.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastyle View Post


It's ohhh tayyy smile.gif. I guess I'm just tired of all my friends ragging on me for not getting a sportbike. The ladies do seem to prefer sportbikes, but I still like my boring old cruiser.


It's sad but true. Women like the crotch rockets. My bike tends to attract old dudes who want to talk about the 1978 Bonneville they had when they were young and reckless. There's even a thread on the biker forum I'm on about the Speedmaster and it's cousin, the America,, called "Old Dude Magnets."

 

But you can't argue with blasting around on a mobile couch.

post #2450 of 4796

Nice, I like the color. I used to think these bike were ugly but they have really grown on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

dang man I just posted that to mess with you, but you get but hurt instead. plain.gif

So you admit you're a troll.lol8[1].gif
post #2451 of 4796
the multistrada is an amazing motorcycle - and yes, the looks have really grown on me. i've been doing a lot of my own maintenance on this bike as it's pretty easy to access everything. for what they tend to go for in the used market, there are few better deals out there.
post #2452 of 4796
Been doing some musing about what to replace my kz400 with when it comes time. Want more reliable cold weather starting so definitely going with injection. Want something with a reasonable riding position and a wide power band (no high revving 4s)

Had been thinking about a 600 or 700-series Monster or a Bonne although now the idea of a naked SV650 has popped up.

SV650s can be had pretty cheap (and should be cheap to insure) and capture a lot of what the monster has without absurd scheduled maintenance costs. Also gets a cleaner clutch which would be nice for gross stop and go city action. Considering I still need to street park it and that it is my only form of motor-transit, the cheaper, more maintenance friendly bike is appealing.

Any experience with the SV650?

edit: took out the plural so as not to confuse with the fairing version (SV650S)
Edited by otc - 9/5/12 at 12:54pm
post #2453 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Any experience with the SV650s?

Buddy of mine has had 2 of them (replaced when the first one was stolen) and he loves it.

I was considering it myself at one point.
post #2454 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post


Nice, I like the color. I used to think these bike were ugly but they have really grown on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

dang man I just posted that to mess with you, but you get but hurt instead. plain.gif

So you admit you're a troll.lol8[1].gif

plain.gif

no, I actually wanted to know what you guys ride. I am considering my first bike (sport bike) and from what I have read I should start off with a 250 unless I want to die.

I posted a video comment that Texastyle had posted in another thread, my comment was directed at him not Vaio.
post #2455 of 4796
The sv650 is pretty similar to my m750, but it's more reliable, the starter system is better, more power, less maintenance...but it doesn't look/sound as cool.
post #2456 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio View Post

The sv650 is pretty similar to my m750, but it's more reliable, the starter system is better, more power, less maintenance...but it doesn't look/sound as cool.

That's about what it seems like. Although it still sounds way better than an electric blender (sorry--meant an inline 4) and a different exhaust might be in the mix since the stock exhaust is kind of ugly...

Not as cool looking although I really like the blue ones. It is a shame they abandoned the tubular frame when they switched to injection. There is also the new Gladius but I think it gains a lot of weight for nothing. Kind of sucks that the SV650 is kind of a parts bin bike with nothing super cool...its got a pretty ugly swingarm with a big square end and the forks are not pretty (in addition to not being very nice) but I still think they look reasonably good.

I probably need to save the pretty bikes for when I have somewhere indoors to park them...I think my KZ400 is pretty, but nobody minds the dents and scratches and rust spots since its from 1979 and cost me $1250.
post #2457 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

That's about what it seems like. Although it still sounds way better than an electric blender (sorry--meant an inline 4) and a different exhaust might be in the mix since the stock exhaust is kind of ugly...
Not as cool looking although I really like the blue ones. It is a shame they abandoned the tubular frame when they switched to injection. There is also the new Gladius but I think it gains a lot of weight for nothing. Kind of sucks that the SV650 is kind of a parts bin bike with nothing super cool...its got a pretty ugly swingarm with a big square end and the forks are not pretty (in addition to not being very nice) but I still think they look reasonably good.
I probably need to save the pretty bikes for when I have somewhere indoors to park them...I think my KZ400 is pretty, but nobody minds the dents and scratches and rust spots since its from 1979 and cost me $1250.

Yeah the front forks on the Sv650 are pretty shoddy, not much better than the ones on my m750. The SV has a lot of aftermarket support, so if you want to replace the exhaust/bars/etc., parts are pretty easy to come by. Yeah, the m750 I bought was parked outside at some point, and it's pretty apparent in the seat, bolts, etc.

I'm gonna buy some new handlebars, levers, grips, to fix the front end of my bike up, since it was involved in a spill. Now that I think about it, IDK if this is a problem with the SV, but with the monster, even a low speed spill will result in bent bars and a dented gas tank...
post #2458 of 4796
Got my bike finally last night. I really need to get acquainted with the friction zone.....
post #2459 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Got my bike finally last night. I really need to get acquainted with the friction zone.....

Awesome man, what are your impressions so far?
post #2460 of 4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post

Awesome man, what are your impressions so far?

I'm liking it. I've stalled it quite a few times though. I do think having ridden my scooter for the past 6 months helped in that I can focus on clutching/shifting/etc instead of having to worry about balancing, braking, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles