or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 15

post #211 of 4606
Nice pics! I love that bike.
You considering chopping that fender? I'd imagine that you rode in the rain often, but it would look really great without that shovel back there.
post #212 of 4606
I know, I'm trying to decide how I want to chop it and what I could do to minimize the rooster tail issues. There are a couple of tail chop kits that make it look pretty decent. I definitely want to get rid of most of that junk. This is the one I'm looking at: About $120ish, really well made and uses the original rear lights. Maybe if I added just a curved strip of blacked out aluminum all the way from the bottom edge of the plate up to the battery box or beyond - that would probably cut almost all the roost and keep the engine and me a lot cleaner, and look very minimal.
post #213 of 4606
Ken, badass. Looks like it's come a long way since the WAYWT pic where I think it was maroon (assuming it's the same bike).

J, your Duc is beautiful. With that tail bob kit you posted, it does seem like a small piece of dark metal underneath/behind the plate would reduce the rooster tail. It may not be the look you're going for, but if you want the bobbed rear and clean look, have you considered a rear hugger fender?
post #214 of 4606
We're still waiting on a good non-carbon fiber (unnecessarily expensive) hugger option. There's a local guy who should be nearly done with getting them made up in ABS and when he does I will get one of those.
post #215 of 4606
Do you have a profile sot of the red bike you posted above?
post #216 of 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
I know, I'm trying to decide how I want to chop it and what I could do to minimize the rooster tail issues. There are a couple of tail chop kits that make it look pretty decent. I definitely want to get rid of most of that junk. This is the one I'm looking at: http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4...achmentda0.jpg About $120ish, really well made and uses the original rear lights. Maybe if I added just a curved strip of blacked out aluminum all the way from the bottom edge of the plate up to the battery box or beyond - that would probably cut almost all the roost and keep the engine and me a lot cleaner, and look very minimal.
I dunno J - understand the aesthetics of it, but you do live in Seattle...have a feeling removing the rooster is gonna make for some dirty ass jackets in your closet.
post #217 of 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by limping_decorum View Post
Do you have a profile sot of the red bike you posted above?
It's one of these two:
post #218 of 4606
Very nice bike... The tail chop on the red one looks nice and clean.
post #219 of 4606
Thread Starter 
Who knows about BMWs? After getting caught in the rain for the MILLIONTH FUCKING TIME without bags and all of my gear (and for a couple of other reasons), I'm thinking about maybe a sport tourer for my next bike.

Honda's ST1300 or BMW's R1200 RT or the R1200 GS. I use my bike a lot for commuting and I like to ride in all kinds of weather (except for below freezing unless it's completely dry). I also would like a small windsheild, bags, the whole package.

I know that I could put bags on my cruiser and whatnot but I'm thinking I'd rather get a bike more suited for commuting and riding.

Anyone have either of the BMWs or the Honda that I mentioned?





post #220 of 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I love the look of the Triumph Bonneville...



If I could just convince my wife to let me get a bike

This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range.

So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?
post #221 of 4606
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range. So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?
Cafe Racer... You could probably get an older used Triumph or a Honda knockoff. I think M@t has fixed up a couple of those... Que M@t in 3... 2... 1...
post #222 of 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range.

So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?

Check out the Kawasaki w650. I think they are a bit rare, but they'll be cheaper then a new Trump and look really similar.
post #223 of 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13
Que M@t in 3... 2... 1...
you rang? Ive done a bunch of bikes here. Cafe racer style, only really one though, a 1967 Suzuki 50cc 2 stroke (changed the engine out to a 150 4 stroke) which is like a mini-cafe bike. I won awards for that one, I was the first person in the country to do one up, everyone laughed at me...now there is a club for them. Weird. Upthread there are shots of a Vietnamese made 'Bonus 125' that I did and sold, it came out ok for what it is. I see the guy that bought it semi-regularly, he seems happy enough with it. I am about to do another Vespa once my friend confirms he can do the color I want, done a couple of Honda Chaly monkey bikes cos we race those cross country, as well as a really sexy Kawasaki 150 2 stroke that is unfortunately haunted. Sick of fixing that thing.
post #224 of 4606
Thank you all very much. I see another dangerously expensive hobby in my future.
post #225 of 4606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
This image has made it necessary for me to purchase a motorcycle sometime in the near future. This Triumph has the perfect look for me but unfortunately, it appears to be out of my price range. So my questions are: is there a term for this particular style of motorcycle? And also, are there any cheaper cycles that have looks similar to this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13 View Post
Cafe Racer... You could probably get an older used Triumph or a Honda knockoff. I think M@t has fixed up a couple of those... Que M@t in 3... 2... 1...
Technically the Triumph Bonneville isn't much of a cafe bike, though it is definitely easy to make it into one (by chopping the fenders down, maybe doing a solo seat with cowl, and putting clipon handlebars and bar end mirror(s)). It's really more of a 70s-80s style "standard" bike which I guess just means all-around, all-purpose unfaired and upright bike. If you like those but want cheaper, you should look into the Honda CB series from the 70s - CB350, 450, 550, 650? I think, 750. Some were available in a two cylinder and a four cylinder version. The twos would be a little easier to work on and a little more torquey (more usable in lower RPM range) whereas the fours have slightly higher maintenance but more power, and the CB 750 Four is one of the more common ones around. There is also the possibility (scroll back a few pages) of taking a GL 1000 original Goldwing that came with the awful gigantic fairing, and taking the fairing completely off and doing the cafe thing to it, or just leaving it more of a standard, and having a very powerful, fun, reliable bike. Or, just look for a used Bonneville (the '00s one not the '70s one), there are a lot around for decent prices. They seem like decent bikes to me (and look awesome) but are slightly too faithful to the old style and (especially) technology for my taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13 View Post
Who knows about BMWs? After getting caught in the rain for the MILLIONTH FUCKING TIME without bags and all of my gear (and for a couple of other reasons), I'm thinking about maybe a sport tourer for my next bike. Honda's ST1300 or BMW's R1200 RT or the R1200 GS. I use my bike a lot for commuting and I like to ride in all kinds of weather (except for below freezing unless it's completely dry). I also would like a small windsheild, bags, the whole package. I know that I could put bags on my cruiser and whatnot but I'm thinking I'd rather get a bike more suited for commuting and riding. Anyone have either of the BMWs or the Honda that I mentioned?
I don't have any of them but my stepdad did have an ST1100 which is very similar to the 1300. My input is that all are known to be awesome bikes for their purposes, but all are big and heavy and depending on what you will be doing, might be less versatile and/or fun than other options. For example, look at the BMW F800 series that just came out with the ST and a GS version (though I think they call it the GS 650 for some reason still). Parallel twin Rotax engine in a midweight size that most people seem to really like - in between the very lean and nimble F650GS and the heavy duty but plain heavy 1200GS. I definitely wouldn't discourage anyone from any of those bikes - the two STs are currently used as police motorcyles around here (i.e. very reliable, comfortable and "safe"), and the GS is renowned for its ability to go anywhere and do anything (assuming you can pick it up when you drop it). Just saying, consider whether you want/ need a really big (heavy) bike. And also, if you like the dual sport thing, look into the Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom which pretty much everyone seems to love. A little less GS than the GS but does all around very well and has tons of accessory/bag options. And much cheaper.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles