or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles - Page 133

post #1981 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

That is the bad thing about being in front at a light, no place to go when someone is charging up on you from behind. In that situation I stop about 10 feet short of the line so I have a little room to maneuver. With cars ahead of me, I am 10 feet behind the car, pointing toward a gap between cars, bike in first gear, both hands on the bars, right foot on brake, eyes in mirrors waiting for the car coming from behind. You can relax a little once that car approaches and stops.
Not addressing you, gnatty8, but if any of you newbs don't understand why I do all that stuff then you need to take a class and give some serious thought to what is going on out in the street.

Truth..
post #1982 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

You mean like this?
272

Yes sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post

FTFY.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post

Probably not, but who knows.

deus_harley9.jpeg 94k .jpeg file

drool.gif
post #1983 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

That is the bad thing about being in front at a light, no place to go when someone is charging up on you from behind. In that situation I stop about 10 feet short of the line so I have a little room to maneuver. With cars ahead of me, I am 10 feet behind the car, pointing toward a gap between cars, bike in first gear, both hands on the bars, right foot on brake, eyes in mirrors waiting for the car coming from behind. You can relax a little once that car approaches and stops.

+100 I'm always in gear at stop lights with an escape route in mind watching the upcoming traffic behind me until they stop.
post #1984 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

That is the bad thing about being in front at a light, no place to go when someone is charging up on you from behind. In that situation I stop about 10 feet short of the line so I have a little room to maneuver. With cars ahead of me, I am 10 feet behind the car, pointing toward a gap between cars, bike in first gear, both hands on the bars, right foot on brake, eyes in mirrors waiting for the car coming from behind. You can relax a little once that car approaches and stops.
Not addressing you, gnatty8, but if any of you newbs don't understand why I do all that stuff then you need to take a class and give some serious thought to what is going on out in the street.

Yes, this is the lesser-known issue amongst n00bs -- you keep space in front not because of what is in front of you, but rather what may crop up behind! patch[1].gif
post #1985 of 4723
Thread Starter 
It's another reason to keep your bike in 1st gear when stopped.
post #1986 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post

Probably not, but who knows.
In the "reminders to always watch your rear view mirrors" category, was riding home from the mountains today when I noticed a guy driving a big fruit delivery truck coming up fast on me at a light. He stopped abruptly, but my spider sense was tingling about this shithead. Next light, I watched him come up on me again, and then heard the sound of tires squealing as he broke hard, and saw him veer into the left hand turning lane. He came to a stop in the lane over, about a foot from my back tire!! I was lucky I didn't have to pull out into traffic to avoid him. Be careful out there..

Is your bike a nightster with a 48 tank?
post #1987 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat pearson View Post

Is your bike a nightster with a 48 tank?

were you the truck driver?
lurker[1].gif
post #1988 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat pearson View Post

Is your bike a nightster with a 48 tank?

No, it's a 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dron View Post

were you the truck driver?
lurker[1].gif

lol
post #1989 of 4723

Sold my 600RR last fall, trying to find a good deal on an Aprilia RSV4

post #1990 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeitsjosh View Post

Sold my 600RR last fall, trying to find a good deal on an Aprilia RSV4

I looked at them for a while, but people definitely want a lot for them IMO. Not as bad as Ducati people who seem to want an insane amount for their now-outdated 1198s.
post #1991 of 4723

yea I have found two recently, one is the R and the other is the Factory model.

 

They both want around 11k but they're both at dealerships and I only trust one of those dealerships, but a buddy of mine said he could get me a good deal on the bike at the other dealership since he knows someone that works there.

post #1992 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I looked at them for a while, but people definitely want a lot for them IMO. Not as bad as Ducati people who seem to want an insane amount for their now-outdated 1198s.

What do the newer ones offer, a few more horses and a little less weight? Why would anyone care?
Edited by Steve Smith - 4/10/12 at 4:02pm
post #1993 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeitsjosh View Post

yea I have found two recently, one is the R and the other is the Factory model.

They both want around 11k but they're both at dealerships and I only trust one of those dealerships, but a buddy of mine said he could get me a good deal on the bike at the other dealership since he knows someone that works there.

If you have cash, patience, and some ability to negotiate you should not buy a used bike at a dealership.
post #1994 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeitsjosh View Post

yea I have found two recently, one is the R and the other is the Factory model.

They both want around 11k but they're both at dealerships and I only trust one of those dealerships, but a buddy of mine said he could get me a good deal on the bike at the other dealership since he knows someone that works there.

If you have cash, patience, and some ability to negotiate you should not buy a used bike at a dealership.

Why is that?
post #1995 of 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeitsjosh View Post

Why is that?

I don't want to pay their rent and their light bill. You can find much better deals working with owners who want to sell their bikes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles