or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motorcycles

post #1 of 4799
Thread Starter 
I am not an expert but in the past couple of years I have fallen in love with motorcycles. I would like to get one soon. (I had a Yamaha YZF R1 for about 6 months - sold it to go back to school)

I am not sure if I would like a cruiser or sport bike. There are great "in between" bikes (bikes that are sporty but can be ridden on long trips) like BMW's and the Kawi Concourse or Suzuki Vstrom or the Yamaha FJR 1300, but I don't think they look as good as either a cruiser or sport bike. (pretty shallow, I know, but I want something I like to look at also)

I love the lines on motorcycles to the point of considering them art. I especially love old Indian motorcycles. I think they are my favorite looking bike.
post #2 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13
I especially love old Indian motorcycles. I think they are my favorite looking bike.
pic?
post #3 of 4799
I like the BMW F 650 CS, I am wondering how much repair costs would cost (esp. new vs. used). Oh, and this would be my first bike. Unless someone has recommendations for something else which is better suited as a first bikeā€¦ Jon.
post #4 of 4799
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
pic?

Hard to find good pics but this isn't too bad. I'm not to keen on the color of this Indian but:



I love the fenders on the Indians.
post #5 of 4799
This is the baddest ass bike I've probably ever seen.



The Ducati GT1000 - a retro 70s sport touring style bike with Ducati's most powerful air cooled engine. It is very similar to my own bike (a BMW r90/6) in styling and proportions but with much updated and upgraded technology.
post #6 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
This is the baddest ass bike I've probably ever seen.



The Ducati GT1000 - a retro 70s sport touring style bike with Ducati's most powerful air cooled engine. It is very similar to my own bike (a BMW r90/6) in styling and proportions but with much updated and upgraded technology.

Just take away the side view mirrors and I'll agree. Jeremy, any tips for potential bike ownership?

Jon.
post #7 of 4799
I love BMW boxer twins (like the one J posted) and Wankel-engined Nortons. Probably the most exotic bike I've ever been on was a Bimota Tesi, which had a forkless front suspension and (IIRC) a Ducati motor. Repair costs on a BMW bike would be considerably less than on a BMW car, and you should be able to do much more of the work yourself if you're so inclined. I've never myself owned a bike, and the injury record of my friends who have suggests that I never will.
post #8 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Just take away the side view mirrors and I'll agree. Jeremy, any tips for potential bike ownership?

Jon.
Try riding with tiny mirrors that show only your biceps and you'll see why these are better. That's my first tip, if you enjoy life.
post #9 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Try riding with tiny mirrors that show only your biceps and you'll see why these are better. That's my first tip, if you enjoy life.

I do, but you were talking about looks. I think it would look better without the mirrors, but yes for actual riding, the mirrors are a must.

Jon.
post #10 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I do, but you were talking about looks. I think it would look better without the mirrors, but yes for actual riding, the mirrors are a must.

Jon.
Actually, looks-wise the Sport 1000 is badderass-looking than the GT 1000:



The mirrors on the GT1k are more of a period detail than anything, but they are much more functional than low/barend mirrors.

As for tips for riding or choosing a bike, I can't say a whole lot as I don't know much about bikes other than my own. I will say that you should first take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class near you and see if you still want to ride (or can even comfortably handle riding a cycle). I took the class with my friend because we both thought it would be fun, but not seriously considering getting a bike, and after the class I had to have a bike.

As for the F650, it's more of a trail and adventure type bike AFAIK (though the tires on that one are obviously street). Good all around if you go off road, but I would think it would be somewhat odd for the street and probably not great for long trips. It's hard for me to recommend a first bike because it's not until you've been on one a while that you'll figure out what you want to use it for. Here the traffic is horrendous and drivers are insane, and I'd be smarter riding long out of town tours only, but I enjoy it too much around town. Even so, my bike is not quite the best for around town, being air cooled and not liking sitting idling at stoplights, etc.

If you ever plan to ride 2-up, and/or with luggage, plan that into your decision because you don't want to bog down a small engine - it's not safe (and as my friend with an old CB750F Honda tells me, not nearly as fun).

Buy good gear and wear it all the time. This is another thing you'll have to figure out dynamically.
post #11 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Probably the most exotic bike I've ever been on was a Bimota Tesi, which had a forkless front suspension and (IIRC) a Ducati motor.
scary looking thing: look at how the exhaust is mounted (essentially backwards) presumably because of the unusual way the engine is positioned...
post #12 of 4799
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
scary looking thing: look at how the exhaust is mounted (essentially backwards) presumably because of the unusual way the engine is positioned...
If I got this bike, I would probably end getting on the bike backwards by accident. Is it me or are Ducatis rediculously expensive? I've only ever seen them, never ridden them. Isn't a Yamaha or Suzuki just as good of a bike for less money?
post #13 of 4799
There's a ride and handling quality about the Ducatis - MV Agustas too - that the Japanese bike makers just can't seem to duplicate. The only the Ducs need to push them over the top for me is more horses in the engine.
post #14 of 4799
The Ducatis I posted are around $9-12k each, which is a lot in absolute terms, but it's in line with BMW. Considerably more than the Japanese offerings, but none of those are nearly as cool.

Believe me, if Honda came out with a clone of that GT 1000 I would be all over that.
post #15 of 4799
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Personally, I like the Ducati Monster series. I intend to get the Monster Dark 620 after I graduate. I don't think I will be able to handle it anytime soon, but its cousin the SR4 is a bad ass.
I'm a big fan of the Monter bikes too. Would any enthusiasts share their perception of these bikes. I haven't been able to reach a consensus. Is it a 'chick-bike' or a watered down entry level Ducati, or is it actually a nice bike. I really love the looks, would someone recommend an analog? The Triump Triple maybe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Motorcycles