• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ankle Boots? Is there an age limit?

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
I need some help understanding the allure of ankle boots.

First , is there generally an "age appropriate" limit for the wearing of ankle boots? That is, are they seen more among the younger set (read.. age 30 and under)?

There are undoubtedly men on here who wear them with suits... but...

As a 50 year old, in shape gentlemen who has more of a "classic style" (I wear Vass, Barker Black, John Lobb, TBNY, Church's with my suits)... every time I have tried on ankle boots, I feel like the reincarnation of Joe Mannix.

Are they simply not for everyone?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're for everyone. I'm wearing a pair of Brandy scotch grain shell today with linen attire. I wear ankle boots with dressier suits, too.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got 17 years on you, and I have a couple of pairs of chukkas and a pair of A-E York ankle boots that I wear regularly...for whatever it's worth.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TexasLidig8r

First , is there generally an "age appropriate" limit for the wearing of ankle boots? That is, are they seen more among the younger set (read.. age 30 and under)?

As a 50 year old, in shape gentlemen who has more of a "classic style" (I wear Vass, Barker Black, John Lobb, TBNY, Church's with my suits)... every time I have tried on ankle boots, I feel like the reincarnation of Joe Mannix.

Which season(s) did Joe Mannix wear ankle boots? I can't recall and I haven't seen the later seasons lately.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
39 here and I have quite a few pair. I love them.

Mike

Tomboys

Reaction score

Yes, if you don't like the way they look on you, then why bother? At the end of the day, your dress is a reflection of your persona. If that persona doesn't include ankle boots, then so be it. That being said, IMO, I feel ankle boots have their place in a person's wardrobe. Perhaps not all ankle boots work well with suits--albeit some work extremely well, but certainly with sports coats, slacks, khakis and jeans. I seriously doubt anyone with even just a hint of style would confuse a JL Tudor boot with a "Mannix" boot.

Lastly, on a side note, as soon as you wrote Joe Mannix, I could "see" the boots he wore on the show in my mind. I guess I shouldn't be complaining though. While I'm getting older, at least my memory hasn't abandoned me yet. Or maybe it has. I'm not sure. Wait. What were we talking about?
tounge.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Is there something that's for everyone? Just avoid wearing them if you don't like the look on you, not even remotely a problem.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear them pretty much exclusivly. I am 42 and wear suits.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ankle boots are versatile enough to be worn at any ages...
I do not have any pairs of ankle boots anymore but i do have a penchant for the JM WESTON classic models..
You can wear them with corduroy , jeans , coloured trousers and even suits..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads