or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Vitamins anyone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vitamins anyone? - Page 2

post #16 of 35
i take mega men.
post #17 of 35
I take a daily multi every day. I feel that all multis are pretty much made the same so I go with the cheaper ones. I feel that the more expensive ones are more expensive either because of fluff or because of adding things in there that you don't really need. I get the ones from the supermarket that are 9.99.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
I take a daily multi every day. I feel that all multis are pretty much made the same so I go with the cheaper ones. I feel that the more expensive ones are more expensive either because of fluff or because of adding things in there that you don't really need. I get the ones from the supermarket that are 9.99.

I disagree with the "all vitamins are the same" notion. Different types of each vitamin or mineral is better utilized or absorbed. Maganesium Citrate is better than Magnesium Carbonate, for example. Carbonate is cheaper. I suggest Source of Life Men by Nature's Plus. Not only does it have the better types of vitamins like natural vitamin E instead of synthetic, but it also has whole food cofactors which enhance absorbtion and makes it possible to take them on an empty stomach with vitrually no distress. There are several like this, and they are worth the money; and it's not that much more, really. Here is a link:

http://www.naturesplus.com/products/...93&category=15

In a Men's multiple, you want no Iron, by the way. A multiple like that is a good foundation, but it's not everything in my opinion. You need a lot of Omega-3's (flax seeds and/or oil), super greens, Co-Q10, grape seed extract, adaptogens, extra magnesium, and I take a lot of Turmeric.
post #19 of 35
thank for mentioning tumeric, liberty ship. it's the secret to a healthy liver. problem is you have to eat a lot of tumeric to get enough curcumin (the compound that give you the health benefits). that's why i take 95% standardized curcumin caps. i take four or so caps after heavy drinking. it has reduced hang-overs for me. okinawans have been taking tumeric for a long time for health, especially for the liver.

i also take one mega men's multi-vitamin, but not every day.
post #20 of 35
I think one just needs to try different things until one finds what he/she likes. For instance, yes I'm aware that the calcium citrate is supposed to be better than carbonate...so I just finished up 2 bottles of Citrical w/ Magnesium...not impressed with this stuff. With my cheapo Shiff "Super" Calcium -Magnesium carbonate, my fingernails actually felt harder and thicker.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizanation
thank for mentioning tumeric, liberty ship. it's the secret to a healthy liver. problem is you have to eat a lot of tumeric to get enough curcumin (the compound that give you the health benefits). that's why i take 95% standardized curcumin caps. i take four or so caps after heavy drinking. it has reduced hang-overs for me. okinawans have been taking tumeric for a long time for health, especially for the liver.

i also take one mega men's multi-vitamin, but not every day.

Turmeric has proven anti-inflamatory properties and is good for your joints. It is also, as you said, excellent for liver support. I have read several actual studies that link it to 1) reduced PSA counts, 2) prevention of prostate cancer, and 3) slowing of the growth and spread of prostate and breast cancer. This all makes sense to me since I think cancer can be a by product of certain types or chronic, low grade inflamation.

Didn't want to spend a huge amount of time, but I quickly found one link that references a lot of this, below. And yes, you need a standardized extract. Just eating curry won't do it.

http://www.prostatecanceralternative...t%20Cancer.htm
post #22 of 35
I have to say, after just a few days, I like this GNC Mega Men. I thought the 'time release' thing would be BS....but my pee is bright yellow all day long. I drink tons of water too, no other vitamin could stand up like that. Also, I don't know if is psychosomatic or what, but I do feel a lot more energized now.
post #23 of 35
I don't take a multi vitamin. For the last 12 or so years I have been taking Jamieson's B 100 Complex and vitamin C 500mg. Both of these are time release so my body has time to absorb them.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship
I disagree with the "all vitamins are the same" notion. Different types of each vitamin or mineral is better utilized or absorbed. Maganesium Citrate is better than Magnesium Carbonate, for example. Carbonate is cheaper. I suggest Source of Life Men by Nature's Plus. Not only does it have the better types of vitamins like natural vitamin E instead of synthetic, but it also has whole food cofactors which enhance absorbtion and makes it possible to take them on an empty stomach with vitrually no distress. There are several like this, and they are worth the money; and it's not that much more, really. Here is a link:

http://www.naturesplus.com/products/...93&category=15

In a Men's multiple, you want no Iron, by the way. A multiple like that is a good foundation, but it's not everything in my opinion. You need a lot of Omega-3's (flax seeds and/or oil), super greens, Co-Q10, grape seed extract, adaptogens, extra magnesium, and I take a lot of Turmeric.

You may be right that they are not exactly the same, but the question is whether the difference actually matters. I feel that the human body is very strong and complex and the difference between magnesium citrate and magnesium carbonate doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

I agree that your multi should not have any iron and that people should supplement with omega-3s. I take fish oil and flax seed oil every day, along with a couple tablespoons of natural peanut butter (the kind with the oil on top).
post #25 of 35
i live and die by stinky Nutrilite® Double X® Vitamin/ Mineral/ Phytonutrient – Case and 31-day Supply. I just wish the shit wasn't so expensive...
post #26 of 35
I used to take a multi, don't now.

I have never seen any studies that demonstrate that a multi is worth it.

It is all a load of marketing hype.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford
I've taken many different types of vitamins...

My general one-a-day vitamin for the past few years is Kirkland Daily Multi Vitamins and Minerals. It compares to Centrum, but is the Costco brand and thus much cheaper. It has always worked very well and compares very well to the more expensive brands I've tried.

I also do additional supplementation with Vitamin B, C, E and CoQ-10, plus a ZMA formula at night as well as protein shakes and creatine.
Same here. Stuff is cheap and does the job.
post #28 of 35
Thread Starter 
To report my own findings, there is, um, a side effect.
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
To report my own findings, there is, um, a side effect.

Good or bad?
post #30 of 35
Thread Starter 
Well, on the good side, I no longer have the need to spend any money on toilet paper... on the bad side, well, you get it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Vitamins anyone?