or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing scarfs during Spring.........I don't get that
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wearing scarfs during Spring.........I don't get that - Page 4

post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbowtie View Post
I like this response. If we can justify wearing pocket squares, which are not functional at all (unless you're one of those who use it to blow your nose), why can't we justify wearing linen scarves?

Why not ascots? Or a boa?

Linen scarves are fine for what they are, which is a fashion accessory. I think it's a bit affected, but whatever. Some people would consider the Panama I'm sporting today a bit affected. And goodness knows that's not the most affected thing I wear.

As long as the wearer is down with what it is, I see no problem with it. I just think it's silly to try to justify such things by citing feeble utilitarian explanations. Summer scarves will be seen about as often five years from now as they were five years ago, yet men's necks will survive.

I does strike me as a bit funny to see such an overlap between MC and the Urban Outfitters scene. The mall hipsters in their skinny jeans and small-brimmed hats are rocking the summer scarves like crazy.
post #47 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I does strike me as a bit funny to see such an overlap between MC and the Urban Outfitters scene. The mall hipsters in their skinny jeans and small-brimmed hats are rocking the summer scarves like crazy.

The difference is that I look good wearing a summer scarf
post #48 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post
The difference is that I look good wearing a summer scarf

Don't we all.
post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
Personal experience?

Wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
London Lounge initiation.

I was the cutter. I'm not allowed to divulge the cuttee, but I will say: heisnotme.
post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
While it looks cool in magazines (and I've seen lots in the likes of Mens' Ex), I just can't imagine wearing one in real life.

To those who do (I notice the Styleforum HK contingent do a lot of this), do you get weird looks?
- ask the desert people why they cover themselves in layers..
- a lot has to do with ones own core body temp.. You will also notice that even in the heat & humidity of HKG & SIN, I still wear a coat..
- weird looks? Nope
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Do you guys think that if you come out from a summer dip in the pool, and yet it's a bit chilly, that it would be fine to wrap a scarf around your neck? It would have to coordinate with your swim trunks, of course.

- B

I favour the silk scarf, combined with a tight and revealing trunk.
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

These...



[Left: cotton, wool, and silk. Right: linnen, wool, and silk.]

... are the ones I'm wearing here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...ostcount=47990

Those are nice. If you think about it, a lightweight scarf at least has a chance of serving some practical purpose, which is more than we can say for some of the vestigial accessories we wear (unless you use your pocket square as a snot-rag or your necktie to do a David Carradine or something.)
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post
- ask the desert people why they cover themselves in layers..
- a lot has to do with ones own core body temp.. You will also notice that even in the heat & humidity of HKG & SIN, I still wear a coat..
- weird looks? Nope
I was thinking this but I am not sure it works for scarves. I do like that scarves really can be a piece of clothing that you would not even notice if it were warmer, but if you are out late (like at a ball game) it can make a big difference when the temperature drops.

I also wear mine on Sunday afternoons.

post #54 of 73
I agree with the good Doctor. Im fine with people wearing them, and I think that they do occasionally look good. However, I dont like people attempting to justify the wearing of a small length of colorful linen as essential to keeping warm. Furthermore, if you were wearing it to "keep warm" on a "chilly" morning what do you do with it for the rest of the day?
post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RQC2700 View Post
I agree with the good Doctor. Im fine with people wearing them, and I think that they do occasionally look good. However, I dont like people attempting to justify the wearing of a small length of colorful linen as essential to keeping warm. Furthermore, if you were wearing it to "keep warm" on a "chilly" morning what do you do with it for the rest of the day?

Certainly mine is tied round my neck when I'm trying to stay a bit warmer and then hangs loose later - sometimes I even stuff it into my bag!

I've never really thought of summer scarves as being such an oddity before - maybe they are more common in europe?

I try to stay away from garish colors etc etc - also etro style sequins!
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrefinery View Post
Those are nice. If you think about it, a lightweight scarf at least has a chance of serving some practical purpose, which is more than we can say for some of the vestigial accessories we wear (unless you use your pocket square as a snot-rag or your necktie to do a David Carradine or something.)

Thank you. They are practical for me; I can't help it. First there was the practical need, then came the scarf. Not the other way around. If people don´t believe or can´t imagine that: soit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylemaven View Post
[...]
I've never really thought of summer scarves as being such an oddity before - maybe they are more common in europe?
[...]

Same thoughts.
post #57 of 73
I wear these combinations for nights out at the moment, things like going to good bars. Usually with navy suit trousers. It is a little unusual in England, especially in the North
LL
LL
post #58 of 73
So just a shirt, trou and scarf? No coat?
post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrefinery View Post
Those are nice. If you think about it, a lightweight scarf at least has a chance of serving some practical purpose, which is more than we can say for some of the vestigial accessories we wear (unless you use your pocket square as a snot-rag or your necktie to do a David Carradine or something.)

Neckties do serve a purpose actually, at least in the winter i find myself a lot warmer with a tie on, since it covers the front and neck.
post #60 of 73
One never knows when the earth might spin out of orbit and fly off into a colder region of space. Spring and summer scarves are both attractive and functional.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Wearing scarfs during Spring.........I don't get that