or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › At a Loss....Unpleasant experience at Peppino's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

At a Loss....Unpleasant experience at Peppino's - Page 2

post #16 of 46
I once took a suit there to get trouser and cuff lengths. It took 3 trips because when I went to pick up the suit, it seems he had simply forgotten to do the sleeves.

I can't say this is bad service because at least Peppino will do the sleeves to my spec. It took 4 TRIPS to another guy (who had both a terrible attitude and a language problem) and he STILL didn't understand that I wanted to show 3/8 shirt cuff.

Peppino also lowered the collar correctly on 2 of my suits, and that operation was FAR too complex for any other "tailor" i've ever known.
post #17 of 46
I like this name, Peppino.
post #18 of 46
Initially I had several problems with the quality and consistency of Peppino's work. Most notably a few instances where the sleeve lengths did not match.

Now that I have established a good relationship I am quite pleased. Once in a while I need to have him redo something but for the most part he is pretty good especially if you consider his reasonable pricing.

I do have some consistent issues that no matter how many times I correct him he always seems to "get it wrong" after an alteration or two;
Matching the thread color on newly cut sleeve buttonholes to the color of the the existing front buttonholes. While not noticeable by anyone else it bothers me.
Cross stitching instead of parallel stitching buttons. He does a nice job of shanking but I need to remind him constantly to cross stitch.

He has NEVER charged me extra to redo an alteration that was not to my liking.
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtree00
Initially I had several problems with the quality and consistency of Peppino's work. Most notably a few instances where the sleeve lengths did not match.

Now that I have established a good relationship I am quite pleased. Once in a while I need to have him redo something but for the most part he is pretty good especially if you consider his reasonable pricing.

I do have some consistent issues that no matter how many times I correct him he always seems to "get it wrong" after an alteration or two;
Matching the thread color on newly cut sleeve buttonholes to the color of the the existing front buttonholes. While not noticeable by anyone else it bothers me.
Cross stitching instead of parallel stitching buttons. He does a nice job of shanking but I need to remind him constantly to cross stitch.

He has NEVER charged me extra to redo an alteration that was not to my liking.

Why are you still using him? You shouldn't find any excuses to stick with him. The problems you cited are serious. You should find a better alternative. If I have a brand new Oxxford needs alternations, I wouldn't trust him. I wouldn't take any chances no matter how reasonable his prices are.
post #20 of 46
I've had the exact same thing with buttonhole thread - odd, since I've handed him the thread that came with the jacket...
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
only so-so experiences with Bhambi.

Can you elaborate on your experience with Bhambi? The only negative thing I heard of them is their price.
post #22 of 46
My (Polish-speaking) alterations tailor somehow took "when you trim the shoulder a centimetre, you will make sure to keep the wadding won't you?" to mean "please remove nearly all the wadding from the sleeve head".

But...it actually looks fantastic! Just one of those things...
post #23 of 46
My (Polish-speaking) alterations tailor somehow took "when you trim the shoulder a centimetre, you will make sure to keep the wadding won't you?" to mean "please remove nearly all the wadding from the sleeve head".

But...it actually looks fantastic! Just one of those things...
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Why are you still using him? You shouldn't find any excuses to stick with him. The problems you cited are serious. You should find a better alternative. If I have a brand new Oxxford needs alternations, I wouldn't trust him. I wouldn't take any chances no matter how reasonable his prices are.

I have tried several tailors that have been recommended here. Except for one that was outrageously expensive, the rest were worse than Peppino.

Can you recommend someone ?
post #25 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussel
Can you elaborate on your experience with Bhambi?
Really tragic about his mother...
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC
Really tragic about his mother...

The forum is alive with wisecracks...

F-ing love the humour 'round here today!

I need a translator.
post #27 of 46
I use a tailor on E. 49th St, a Korean man who has altered a number of items for me. He's finished trousers, taken in and let out jackets, let down sleeves. So far, no complaints, save one pair of trousers he finished too long. He redid them with nary a complaint.
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian
The forum is alive with wisecracks...

F-ing love the humour 'round here today!

I need a translator.

You can say fucking, btw.

Jon.
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
You can say fucking, btw.

Jon.

Didn't j yell at you for swearing before? Tsk tsk tsk.
post #30 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
Didn't j yell at you for swearing before? Tsk tsk tsk.

Well, your name says it all:

Jon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › At a Loss....Unpleasant experience at Peppino's