Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What are you reading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you reading? - Page 421

post #6301 of 6314
Just started this one. Two chapters later, and it's way past when I was going to sleep.

post #6302 of 6314
Fueco..bro....are those jammies?
post #6303 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReveller View Post

Fueco..bro....are those jammies?

Sorry, ami supposed to lounge around my house in a smoking jacket and dress pants? And no, I don't sleep in those.
post #6304 of 6314

Water for Elephants is a great book in my opinion.

post #6305 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmouse View Post
 

I read the first 4 Parker novels and hit a snag when I realized the library was missing the next 8 books in the series. I got them to order a copy of each and will be binge reading them as soon as they arrive before work resumes in January.

 

While the novels are not necessarily great reading, they're not bad either and Stark/Westlake seems to have enjoyed writing the series. Sometimes when I'm reading the 3rd or 4th novel in a series, I feel the author has lost interest and churns out more books because they've committed themselves to it (or maybe because it's easier to not write a finale). It hasn't felt like the case yet, although I'm preparing myself that may show once I get near the end of the original Parker novels or into the ones he wrote within the last decade.

 

I finished #20 (Firebreak), so I wanted to give an update. I would say most of them are fun and readable. I really dislike the ones from the 70s though (Deadly Edge to Butcher's Moon).

 

The ones from the second run (90s starting with Comeback to Firebreak at least) are surprisingly good. Probably as fun and readable as the first few. I thought they would be written just to cash-in on the name, but if they were then Stark/Westlake didn't write like it.

post #6306 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilniuStyle View Post

I've decided to read "Idiot" by Dostoevsky. What a powerful book, I know that it's classical novel, and everybody likes it, but I cannot express my feelings when I read each phrase. I'm totally in love with Lev Nikolayevich. shog%5B1%5D.gif

Great novel. Gets overshadowed by pretty much everything else he wrote, especially Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov.
post #6307 of 6314
Conclave by Robert Harris. Great read!
post #6308 of 6314
so far



Imbibe by David Wondrich



Who Rules the World by Noam Chomsky



Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and David Evans



Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi



The Productivity Project by Chris Bailey



Trilby by George Du Maurier
post #6309 of 6314


Just finished this one. Interesting story taking place within the bio dome. Not as potent as some of his recent works, maybe better suited for beach reading.
Looking for the next read.
post #6310 of 6314


Just started this, looks promising
post #6311 of 6314
Just finished Conclave by Robert Harris. I like Harris' work, generally good yarns, often historical fiction/mystery. This was a decent book until the last few pages revealed an ending so bad I'm angry I wasted my time with this turd.
Edited by coolpapa - 2/10/17 at 5:26am
post #6312 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by eglbc View Post



Just finished this one. Interesting story taking place within the bio dome. Not as potent as some of his recent works, maybe better suited for beach reading.
Looking for the next read.

I felt bad when he dropped the "Coraghessan" and shortened his pen name to "T.C. Boyle." That's a much more forgettable name to me.

I still enjoy his books, though.
post #6313 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

I felt bad when he dropped the "Coraghessan" and shortened his pen name to "T.C. Boyle." That's a much more forgettable name to me.

I still enjoy his books, though.

Whatever you say, AnakinimeanDave.
post #6314 of 6314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Whatever you say, AnakinimeanDave.

I actually can empathize with T.C. Boyle because for many years I was known as VaderMcSweenyDave. I dropped the "McSweeny" because it was too long for many forum username rules.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What are you reading?