or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What are you reading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you reading? - Page 409

post #6121 of 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post

About 500 pages into War and Peace. Idk why it has such a reputation for being difficult; it's actually super readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I think it's just about the length as opposed to the readability in the sense you mean.

It's still one of my favorite books of all time. I remember finishing it and thinking "I wouldn't have minded another 500 pages of this at all." I first read it when I was 18 and even then I thought it was awesome.
post #6122 of 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post


It's still one of my favorite books of all time. I remember finishing it and thinking "I wouldn't have minded another 500 pages of this at all." I first read it when I was 18 and even then I thought it was awesome.

Oh, sure. I wasn't endorsing that viewpoint of course. W&P is a really fun read.
post #6123 of 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Oh, sure. I wasn't endorsing that viewpoint of course. W&P is a really fun read.

No worries. I didn't get that impression and intended my post to be in agreement with yours. smile.gif
post #6124 of 6297
post #6125 of 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

Finished A Little Life a few days ago. It was a good book although at times it was almost like the author was going out of her way to make sure every horrible thing befell at least one of the characters.

After that downerfest I decided to read something a little more pulpy, so I'm halfway through Ian Tregillis's The Rising, which is a sequel to The Mechanical.

I finished The Rising yesterday and started American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett. The Rising was not as good as The Mechanical (which was pretty interesting but not exactly Shakespeare).
post #6126 of 6297
Where should I start with Tom Wolfe? I feel like I need to read something of his.
post #6127 of 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pun View Post

Where should I start with Tom Wolfe? I feel like I need to read something of his.

"The Right Stuff" is always an excellent choice.
post #6128 of 6297

I'm currently reading 'Thinking About it Only Makes it Worse' by David Mitchell. A really enjoyable read! I love this guy's columns! Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse, by David Mitchell Thinking About It Only Makes It Worse, by David Mitchell

post #6129 of 6297

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, very impressed with it.

post #6130 of 6297

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky - really great  post-apocalyptic science fiction.

post #6131 of 6297


Pretty short but funny and interesting critique of modern architecture. Recommended for people like me, who have an interest in architecture but not much formal knowledge.
post #6132 of 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pun View Post



Pretty short but funny and interesting critique of modern architecture. Recommended for people like me, who have an interest in architecture but not much formal knowledge.

I read this when I was working at a mega architecture firm in Chicago who was housed in a Mies van der Rohe building. Made a lot of it hit home.

I've always liked the collection of his short essays. "The Kandy Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" being one of my favorites.
post #6133 of 6297

 

Luigi Pirandello - The Late Mattia Pascal

post #6134 of 6297

Just finished "Foundation" and will be starting "Foundation and Empire" later today.

post #6135 of 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

I finished The Rising yesterday and started American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett. The Rising was not as good as The Mechanical (which was pretty interesting but not exactly Shakespeare).

I finally finished American Elsewhere last week. It started off great with a lot of mystery about what was going on, but by the end it sort of devolved into a typical "bodysnatchers" trope with a mildly-satisfying ending.

I just started Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong. So far it's pretty interesting, but hardly deep reading.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › What are you reading?