or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you reading? - Page 346

post #5176 of 5727
Just started reading "Slaying the Badger" about the 1986 Tour de France battle between Greg Lemond and Bernard Hinault. Getting pumped for July!
post #5177 of 5727
Hopefully not too off topic: I enjoyed this slightly manic spoken essay about The Great Gatsby. Plus, now there's no need for me to re-read it before seeing the movie . . .
post #5178 of 5727
Graham Swift 'Ever After' n Just started it last night.
post #5179 of 5727
Just finished A Scanner Darkly, by P Dick. It was pretty weird and for anyone who's hung out with (or been) a head it really captures the expirence. Not very science fiction-y though. I just started The Power Broker, by R Caro. I had no idea it was as long as it is.
post #5180 of 5727
Dan Brown's new book, "Inferno."
post #5181 of 5727
Just started Kant's Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten.

On my quest to read all of Murakami's novels, I'm halfway through the Trilogy of the Rat. Finished Hear The Wind Sing and I've almost finished Pinball, 1973. A bit odd but I enjoy them.

Has anyone seen The Reluctant Fundamentalist and read the novel? I remember enjoying the novel, but it's been some time, so I definitely plan to reread it before watching the movie.
post #5182 of 5727
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Just started Kant's Grundlegung zur Metaphysik der Sitten.

On my quest to read all of Murakami's novels, I'm halfway through the Trilogy of the Rat. Finished Hear The Wind Sing and I've almost finished Pinball, 1973. A bit odd but I enjoy them.

Has anyone seen The Reluctant Fundamentalist and read the novel? I remember enjoying the novel, but it's been some time, so I definitely plan to reread it before watching the movie.

Read the book back in 2008 going to see the film tonight at a preview prior to general release in Oz. Enjoyed the book.
post #5183 of 5727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Read the book back in 2008 going to see the film tonight at a preview prior to general release in Oz. Enjoyed the book.
Let me know how you liked it. Seems to receive mixed reviews.
post #5184 of 5727
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1os View Post

Let me know how you liked it. Seems to receive mixed reviews.

Me personally I think it has too much ambiguity, very different from my memories of the book. Think it will divide audiences doesn't appear to commit to either a left or right position, takes the easy way out of hard questions about culture, politics and terrorism. A sanctimonious ending in my view. Glad I went for free would not pay to see it.
post #5185 of 5727
Enjoyed Harvest a lot - Jim Crace is always excellent. Now starting Life After Life. It probably wouldn't be my first choice (given that I had not even heard of it before), but the gf is reading it for her book club, so I'm reading it so we can talk about it.
post #5186 of 5727
I am currently reading a collection of essays by George Orwell.
post #5187 of 5727
The Emperor of All Maladies, A Biography of Cancer, by Siddhartha Mukherjee. A very well researched tome that covers many aspects of cancer: its biology, the history of cancer research and therapies, including the "War on Cancer", and the story of the American Cancer Society. After reading it I feel like I have a much better understanding of the disease, and the patient stories frequently moved me to tears, as they hit very close to home.
post #5188 of 5727
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

The Emperor of All Maladies, A Biography of Cancer, by Siddhartha Mukherjee. A very well researched tome that covers many aspects of cancer: its biology, the history of cancer research and therapies, including the "War on Cancer", and the story of the American Cancer Society. After reading it I feel like I have a much better understanding of the disease, and the patient stories frequently moved me to tears, as they hit very close to home.
Sounds interesting!

Just finished Pinball, 1973 and began A Wild Sheep Chase.
post #5189 of 5727
I'm alternating between Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go" and Austin Grossman's "Soon I Will Be Invincible."
post #5190 of 5727
Mod A Very British Style Richard Weight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?