or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you reading? - Page 345

post #5161 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

I'd definitely not start with As I Lay Dying.

And this...

Lowry > Joyce > Faulkner.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for putting Lowry above Joyce but fuck it. Under The Volcano is the greatest novel ever written, JMHO.

Haven't read Under the Volcano, but may do so now. Thanks for the plug, Javyn.


I disagree about As I Lay Dying -- I think it's fine to start with. I don't really buy into the notion that you have to start with a supposedly easier Faulkner book and then work your way up or whatever. But munchausen obviously will read what he wants.

As for Joyce: Dubliners or Ulysses is one thing. Finnegan's Wake is something else . . .
post #5162 of 5702
I'm convinced Finnegan's Wake was written entirely to fuck with literary critics and English professors (slash students).
post #5163 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

I'm convinced Finnegan's Wake was written entirely to fuck with literary critics and English professors (slash students).

Anthony Burgess wrote a great exposition of Finnegans Wake, which I enjoyed much more than the eight pages or so of FW that I ever made it through.
post #5164 of 5702
Lawyerdad, just going off of what I know of your tastes in this thread, you'll be in for a thrill with the Lowry.


Today Im 50 pages into a novel that Im ready to recommend to anyone based on the strength of those 50 pages. My Struggle in translation from Norwegian by Karl Knausgaard.
post #5165 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


Anthony Burgess wrote a great exposition of Finnegans Wake, which I enjoyed much more than the eight pages or so of FW that I ever made it through.

 

Michael Chabon's recent paean to the Wake is a nice read, as well. I made it through 200 pp. of FW, almost all read aloud, but couldn't keep it going. Maybe you have to be Irish.

post #5166 of 5702
I hate stream of consciousness, hate it with the heat of a thousand suns, suns that are burning into my eyes like ants eating my brain while I lie, slug-like, in a pool of my own urine that has seeped out of me one drop at a time, burning its acid slow way the length of my urethra, a urethra that has seen better days, I might add, better days before that one time when Marcus and I were experimenting with sliding glass tubes into our urethras just for the thrill of seeing who would pass out from the pain first, the pain of a thousand shards of glass slicing through the wall of my urethra, which was not unlike the pain of listening to a spoken word recital of the first 400 or was it 400,000 pages of Finnegans Wake at that jazz bar just off Valencia, or was it on Guerrero, memory fades like daylight, daylight that shines into my eyes like ants eating my brain one sliver of glass at a time
post #5167 of 5702

Luckily for you the laws requiring frequent reading of s-o-c writers never got past Congress.

post #5168 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


As for Joyce: Dubliners or Ulysses is one thing. Finnegan's Wake is something else . . .

In my experience Finnegan's Wake is like Naked Lunch...in that a lot of people claim to have read it, but really haven't.
post #5169 of 5702

I took a class dedicated to Finnegans Wake in college, and we didn't read the whole thing. It's a really funny book. If you slow down, I doubt you could go a whole page without laughing. It's really ridiculous.

post #5170 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin100 View Post

Luckily for you the laws requiring frequent reading of s-o-c writers never got past Congress.

When not reading SOC is outlawed, only outlaws will not read SOC.
post #5171 of 5702

 

This guy is illustrating every page of FW:

http://www.wakeinprogress.com/p/slideshow_08.html

post #5172 of 5702
The Measure of a Man;The Story of a Father, a Son and a Suit.

JJ Lee

Highly recommended one of the most interesting autobiographies and cultural analysis of men's clothing I have ever read. Simply Wonderful.

As for Joyce The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man; Damned if you do Damed if you don't.
post #5173 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Lawyerdad, just going off of what I know of your tastes in this thread, you'll be in for a thrill with the Lowry.

Cool, thanks. Ordered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin100 View Post

Michael Chabon's recent paean to the Wake is a nice read, as well. I made it through 200 pp. of FW, almost all read aloud, but couldn't keep it going. Maybe you have to be Irish.
I'm part-Irish, but clearly not enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

I hate stream of consciousness, hate it with the heat of a thousand suns, suns that are burning into my eyes like ants eating my brain while I lie, slug-like, in a pool of my own urine that has seeped out of me one drop at a time, burning its acid slow way the length of my urethra, a urethra that has seen better days, I might add, better days before that one time when Marcus and I were experimenting with sliding glass tubes into our urethras just for the thrill of seeing who would pass out from the pain first, the pain of a thousand shards of glass slicing through the wall of my urethra, which was not unlike the pain of listening to a spoken word recital of the first 400 or was it 400,000 pages of Finnegans Wake at that jazz bar just off Valencia, or was it on Guerrero, memory fades like daylight, daylight that shines into my eyes like ants eating my brain one sliver of glass at a time

Nicely done. Personally, I think that purported stream-of-consciousness fiction is a bit like abstract art. It can be really great when well executed, but there are way too many people who are doing it poorly. And when it's done poorly, it really sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

In my experience Finnegan's Wake is like Naked Lunch...in that a lot of people claim to have read it, but really haven't.
I didn't know Naked Lunch (not really a fan of that, either) fell into that category. But I'd say Remembrance of Things Past probably belongs on that list, and maybe The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rural Juror View Post




This guy is illustrating every page of FW:
http://www.wakeinprogress.com/p/slideshow_08.html
Awesome.

Just started this. So far, so good. But then, I've enjoyed everything I've read by Crace.

post #5174 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Next up is some lighthearted SciFi with Bruce Sterling's "Distraction".

This book was awful; I couldn't even finish it.

Now I'm about halfway through Jonathan Lethem's "Gun, with Occasional Music."
post #5175 of 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

The Measure of a Man;The Story of a Father, a Son and a Suit.

JJ Lee

Highly recommended one of the most interesting autobiographies and cultural analysis of men's clothing I have ever read. Simply Wonderful.

 

Thanks for your recommendation.  I also read the Amazon Reviews - which reflect what you wrote - and I just purchased the Hardback edition for one penny!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?