or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you reading? - Page 338

post #5056 of 5738
post #5057 of 5738

Armed Struggle: The History Of The IRA by Richard English

Interesting content but reads a bit like a text book. Still wondering if I'll actually finish it.

Just recently got about halfway through a really good biography of Henry Miller and then abandoned it because I'm a lazy twat.

post #5058 of 5738
Trying to do some serious reading for a change...



Just as awesome as I thought and I could tell its from a different era because an ad is bound with the book and the ad is awesome.

post #5059 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordamerican View Post

Armed Struggle: The History Of The IRA by Richard English
Interesting content but reads a bit like a text book. Still wondering if I'll actually finish it.

It's one of the better books on the IRA out there. My favorite book about The Troubles is "Belfast Diary: War as a Way of Life." It's haunting.
post #5060 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Trying to do some serious reading for a change...



Just as awesome as I thought and I could tell its from a different era because an ad is bound with the book and the ad is awesome.


some choice quotes. Will probably finish tonight.

Quote:
"A five letter beginning with M is both Money and Mafia."
"Or D," Evita said, "for Dinero and Devils."

facepalm.gif
Quote:
Come on, Bolan. Come on, baby. and let me taste your ass. Any way you want to show it. Try a line plunge in your car, that would be cute

This was from the third-person omnipotent narrator.
Quote:
He had Bolan right where he wanted him, by the balls, that's where, and Quick Tony could hardly wait to start squeezing.

Emphasis in the original, again from the narrator,.
post #5061 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post


It's one of the better books on the IRA out there. My favorite book about The Troubles is "Belfast Diary: War as a Way of Life." It's haunting.

I have that one on my amazon wish list among many others on the subject. I'm interested in learning more about the IRA/Sinn Fein, but my concern is that I will encounter a great deal of romanticized hagiography, especially inside the biographies of people like Michael Collins and Bobby Sands. A bit of bias is to be expected, as no human being is capable of complete objectivity, but in order to gain some perspective I need to hear both sides of the story and I'm not really coming across much reading material that seems sympathetic to Ulster Protestants. Any advice or further recommendations would be appreciated.

post #5062 of 5738
The Book of Barely Imagined Beings, by Caspar Henderson. A beautiful hardback with loads of line drawings and diagrams to accompany intelligent and interesting writing. Books like these is why the eBook will never entirely kill off print.
post #5063 of 5738
BANG a history of Britain in the 1980's

A social and cultural history about the decline of the Labour Party, the rise of Thatcherism and 3 million unemployed, the troubles and the hunger strikes, the Falklands and CND and Greenham Common that is as far as i have got but a good read.

Worth it if you think of the social cultural and political impact the Brits had during and post 80's including Australia's monetarist experiment under Little Johnny.

And beside the bed History of Men's Fashion What the Well Dressed Man is Wearing by Nicholas Storey another book on rules and appropriate dressing
post #5064 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

BANG a history of Britain in the 1980's

A social and cultural history about the decline of the Labour Party, the rise of Thatcherism and 3 million unemployed, the troubles and the hunger strikes, the Falklands and CND and Greenham Common that is as far as i have got but a good read.

Worth it if you think of the social cultural and political impact the Brits had during and post 80's including Australia's monetarist experiment under Little Johnny.

And beside the bed History of Men's Fashion What the Well Dressed Man is Wearing by Nicholas Storey another book on rules and appropriate dressing

That's just what we all need - more rules to follow. Bang sounds good. It will prepare you for the day when Johnny's disciples return and sack everyone.
post #5065 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

That's just what we all need - more rules to follow. Bang sounds good. It will prepare you for the day when Johnny's disciples return and sack everyone.

Dont say such things I am in Canberra and its closer to the truth than you think.
post #5066 of 5738
Going to give Atlas Cloud a shot.
post #5067 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhoff View Post

Going to give Atlas Cloud a shot.


the movie was good, just a bit long. i think im going to check out the book too.

post #5068 of 5738
Mandiant APT1 Exposing one of China's Cyber Espionage Units

This report makes fascinating reading I read the initial article on Chinese state sanctioned hacking in the NYT and downloaded the report.

I have two questions if all this is correct then what would be the function of releasing it?

The first the Chinese will deny everything, though I wonder what type of day the operatives Ugly Gorilla or DOTA are having now their masters have learnt of their exposure?

Second if it is all correct then while Mandiart have stated that they are leaving themselves open to cyber reprisal I would disagree, if APT1 one does respond or any Chinese hackers attempt anything it will validate everything that they have stated in the report is true.

So is this a form of cyber bear hunting? Having worked in the intelligence sector I have to wonder. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The report can be accesed via the NYT
post #5069 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Marcellino View Post


the movie was good, just a bit long. i think im going to check out the book too.

Saw the movie as well and liked it. Critics didn't give it much love. Hoping the book is just as good or better.
post #5070 of 5738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin View Post

Dont say such things I am in Canberra and its closer to the truth than you think.

Yeah, I have a good friend in the Press Gallery and what she tells me is depressing. The Libs are going to destroy the ACT economy. :-(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?