or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you reading? - Page 8

post #106 of 5698
Midterm assignments
post #107 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
Why not his translation of Pushkin's "Evgeni Onegin"?

.

Because it's a translation.
post #108 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02 View Post
McPhee?

Steinbeck.
post #109 of 5698
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
post #110 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post
Makes me want to chill some wine in a cool stream, fishing on a clear day.

Rather.
post #111 of 5698
"Call me Ishmael" is up there too, in that it manages to encapsulate a major theme in the first three words.
post #112 of 5698
Finally finished the 630pp of The Time of Our Singing. The final 3 pages made for a terrific ending that makes you realise you were unknowingly reading a book of a different genre than you thought. I won't spoil it, but this is a great book.
post #113 of 5698
As a Dickens fan, I quite like the opening sentence of A Tale of Two Cities: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
post #114 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
"Call me Ishmael" is up there too, in that it manages to encapsulate a major theme in the first three words.

Flabby. Blondie did it in 2.
post #115 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post
Finally finished the 630pp of The Time of Our Singing. The final 3 pages made for a terrific ending that makes you realise you were unknowingly reading a book of a different genre than you thought. I won't spoil it, but this is a great book.

I'm not sure I get your point about the last 3 pages - I'll have to re-read them when I get home tonight - but I agree in general about the books. Powers is one brilliant guy. My favorite is still The Gold Bug Variations, but that's probably b/c it's the first thing of his I read.
post #116 of 5698
Back to an old favourite..

Niccolo Machiavelli The Prince (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)
post #117 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaga View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, The Mysterious Mr. Quin is an odd departure from form by the Dame. I fondly remember correctly the restaurant Arlecchino. I am debating whether to purchase the new Anthony Bourdain book.
The odd departure for Dame Christie, I feel, was "Passenger to Frankfurt". Another odd one was "The Dressmaker's Doll"--more like a Shirley Jackson story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
Because it's a translation.
Some translations are better than others especially given that translations receive Book of the Year prizes.
post #118 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
I'm not sure I get your point about the last 3 pages - I'll have to re-read them when I get home tonight - but I agree in general about the books. Powers is one brilliant guy. My favorite is still The Gold Bug Variations, but that's probably b/c it's the first thing of his I read.
My point has to do with who the little boy at the concert turns out to be. Tied in with David's theories about the physics of time, it seemed to me to shift the book into a SF/fantasy resolution that I had not been expecting.
post #119 of 5698
Now reading The Good Husband of Zebra Drive. This is the 8th book in McCall Smith's series and I think he has now taken what was an innovative and fresh idea, and devolved it into soap opera. I have tried all his other series, and they all seem unbearable. I think I must have been over-rating him, and I think this will be the last of him that I read. That said, someone should still go out and make a film of the first one, with Morgan Freeman playing Matekone and maybe Queen Latifah as Precious.
post #120 of 5698
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

Literary starter kit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › What are you reading?