or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Too dressy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Too dressy?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Is this pair of AE's too "dressy" for wear with casual trousers (jeans too, likely) in the summer?

post #2 of 30
I've done it before with my AE's similar to those but I would not call that style casual.
post #3 of 30
That shoe is not for jeans in a casual context.
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
That shoe is not for jeans in a casual context.

I disagree. I think those would look great with jeans. Not for every day, of course, but certainly on occasion.
post #5 of 30
I have those shoes (well, the Sanfords, which are the same as the Coltons but on a different last) and I have no problem wearing them casually, albeit not as an everyday thing.
post #6 of 30
I've worn similar shoes with jeans (and a sport coat) in the past. As with the others confessing to this, I don't do it often but I do like the look.
post #7 of 30
I say go for it. I woulld wear those with jeans. They are great looking shoes by the way!!!
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara
Is this pair of AE's too "dressy" for wear with casual trousers (jeans too, likely) in the summer?


These shoes can not be dressy as they are casual shoes
post #9 of 30
I like them. Most people will consider them "dressy." I think you can get away with wearing these with jeans. You could also wear them with a suit, but most wouldn't advise it, as they're bluchers.

STP has them for $190. I think this is a discontinued AE style.
post #10 of 30
I have the AE Lexington, which is very similar. I would vote against jeans, personally, but I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I would go for odd trousers and sportcoat.
post #11 of 30
The Delray appears to be more appropriate for jeans.

post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbatruk
These shoes can not be dressy as they are casual shoes
yeah, and brown is for farmers or something...

!luc
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
You could also wear them with a suit, but most wouldn't advise it, as they're bluchers.

Almost nobody outside this forum pays attention to the difference between bluchers and balmorals, or even knows what the terms are.

As I said earlier, the charm of these shoes is their versatility. Anyone who says that they are inherently unwearable either in a dressy sense or in a casual sense (there seems to be both ends of the spectrum in this thread) is wrong.
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybojs
Almost nobody outside this forum pays attention to the difference between bluchers and balmorals, or even knows what the terms are.

As I said earlier, the charm of these shoes is their versatility. Anyone who says that they are inherently unwearable either in a dressy sense or in a casual sense (there seems to be both ends of the spectrum in this thread) is wrong.

Very well put, aybojs. In fact, many on this forum and over at Andy's would say that, while bals are dressier, bluchers are fine with suits.
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybojs
Almost nobody outside this forum pays attention to the difference between bluchers and balmorals, or even knows what the terms are.

As I said earlier, the charm of these shoes is their versatility. Anyone who says that they are inherently unwearable either in a dressy sense or in a casual sense (there seems to be both ends of the spectrum in this thread) is wrong.

I don't know about what people outside the forum pay attention to, but then again, I don't know if they care much about any clothing details.

Also, I never said the Colton's were inherently unwearable in a dressy or casual sense. They look nice, and I'm watching the price on STP in case they drop, but I think that the charm of these shoes is also, in some ways, the problem. They're neither one thing or the other.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Too dressy?