or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Walking VS. Elliptical
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Walking VS. Elliptical - Page 2

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
Yeah, you're right. The body will get worked just same whether you're allowing the handles to prop you up or forcing your body to maintain the majority of your balance. One is certainly not any tougher than the other.

It's all about your heart rate. You can do it in a number of ways. If your propped up then your probably going to have to move your legs a little faster or add a little more resistance. So yes, I am right.
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfarmanara View Post
You should probably be going a little harder than that if you're looking for the weight loss zone. 120-130 is more of a warm-up zone, which is why it's going to be pretty hard to lose weight if all you do is walking. I don't know if I've ever had my heart-rate up that high just walking. Unless if was after the bar, and I was trying to get a burrito before the place closed.

See that is a common misconception. Everyone is different, but typically once you get much above 120bpm you start getting anaerobic. Your body will burn your muscle as energy (which is also why you need plenty of carbs to maintain lean muscle mass while doing cardio.) Watch bodybuilders in the gym that know what they are doing and watch how they do cardio. They walk, bike, whatever very slowly and pay attention to their heart rate. Stay at around 120bpm for at least 30 mins. and do that 4-5 times a week. You'll be amazed at how your body composition changes.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbreen1 View Post
It's all about your heart rate. You can do it in a number of ways. If your propped up then your probably going to have to move your legs a little faster or add a little more resistance. So yes, I am right.

Except you aren't. A good number of the people I see resting on the handles are also lethargically moving their legs as they space out and gaze up at the TV.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbreen1 View Post
See that is a common misconception. Everyone is different, but typically once you get much above 120bpm you start getting anaerobic. Your body will burn your muscle as energy (which is also why you need plenty of carbs to maintain lean muscle mass while doing cardio.) Watch bodybuilders in the gym that know what they are doing and watch how they do cardio. They walk, bike, whatever very slowly and pay attention to their heart rate. Stay at around 120bpm for at least 30 mins. and do that 4-5 times a week. You'll be amazed at how your body composition changes.

This I understand, but I don't know, I don't really look to a body builder's composition as something that a regular person should be aiming for. I've been training at a very high level for hockey for at least six or seven years. In the more recent years, I switched to a trainer whose methods I think work the best not only for myself, but for any average person as well. He focuses on extreme circuit training, not unlike the P90x stuff that seems to have taken over. We do multiple bike rides a week while he intensely monitors our heart rates. Two summers ago I got down to 6.9% body fat, and I was 5'10", 190lbs., and ripped; not to mention I was lifting more than I had ever before. Training anaerobically doesn't necessarily mean you're losing muscle mass or strength, as long as you're doing the correct workouts.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post
Except you aren't. A good number of the people I see resting on the handles are also lethargically moving their legs as they space out and gaze up at the TV.

Yea because the majority of people have no idea what they are doing. I know that when I'm on an elliptical I generally prop myself up and still have to work pretty easily to stay in the 110-120 zone, granted I'm not in good shape cardio wise, but it doesn't take much to reach those levels.
post #21 of 21
I personally use the ellipitical four times a week myself, like it much more than running on the treadmill.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Walking VS. Elliptical