• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking VS. Elliptical

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I only have 30 minutes at lunch, which am I better off doing? I am planning on getting back into running as soon as I get some LBS down (knee is bothering me) and some new running shoes.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Doesn't matter.

This is worth a read before buying new shoes" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...ste-money.html

lefty

what doesnt matter?

Are you saying they are equivlent?

I need new shoes because I pronate pretty badly and get terrible shin splints. I had/have a pair of stabilty shoes which were a godsend, but they are toast now.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd say, if you're having knee issues already, to stay with elliptical since it's much lower impact. i shattered my heel a few years ago and have had extensive discussions with doctors/PTs about avoiding impact excercises as much as you can if you have some sort of leg injury, especially if you're currently experiencing pain with it. sucks, cause i'd rather run....but i also want to stay away from walkers/wheelchairs as long as possible.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
what doesnt matter?

Are you saying they are equivlent?

I need new shoes because I pronate pretty badly and get terrible shin splints. I had/have a pair of stabilty shoes which were a godsend, but they are toast now.

If you're crippled, go to PT.
If the goal of walking or the elliptical is to prep you for running, it doesn't matter. Neither will.
If the goal is fat loss, 30 minutes a couple of times a week on either will have about the same effect. Very little.

lefty

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since you say elliptical, i assume you're working out in an office gym during lunch. if they have this equipment i'd recommend cycling and rowing. much more likely to see results than walking. (my dad actually has a theory that walking makes you fat, explaining why the most of the people you ever see walking for fitness are fat)

retroaaron

Reaction score
I'd recommend a stationary bike or, in your case, an elliptical

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may not be practical because of where you live, but hiking has been fantastic for fitness for me.

I have a prolapsed disc in my back and ankle niggles/ knee ache due to a car crash when I was 18

The uneven ground and hills of hiking really help sort these niggles out. It is also great for muscle tone and fitness.

Eliptical trainers and gym equipment is such a repetitive motion, they cause my ankle and knee problems.

Plus hiking is much more fun. And Free (minus travel to the hills etc)
biggrin.gif

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your trying to lose weight, it doesn't matter what you do as long as you keep a steady heart rate at about 90-120bpm.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Elliptical is fine if you have knee issues, but it's really easy to get lazy on those things. Seems like most people on see on them use the handrails to completely brace themselves, negating a lot of the benefits.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Elliptical is fine if you have knee issues, but it's really easy to get lazy on those things. Seems like most people on see on them use the handrails to completely brace themselves, negating a lot of the benefits.

That's not really true. As long as you keep an eye on your heart rate and keep it at an acceptable level depending on your goals it's fine to brace yourself. I know many competitive bodybuilders who do this to keep lean or cut for a contest.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
That's not really true. As long as you keep an eye on your heart rate and keep it at an acceptable level depending on your goals it's fine to brace yourself. I know many competitive bodybuilders who do this to keep lean or cut for a contest.

eh.gif

yfarmanara

Reaction score
If your trying to lose weight, it doesn't matter what you do as long as you keep a steady heart rate at about 90-120bpm.

You should probably be going a little harder than that if you're looking for the weight loss zone. 120-130 is more of a warm-up zone, which is why it's going to be pretty hard to lose weight if all you do is walking. I don't know if I've ever had my heart-rate up that high just walking. Unless if was after the bar, and I was trying to get a burrito before the place closed.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, you're right. The body will get worked just same whether you're allowing the handles to prop you up or forcing your body to maintain the majority of your balance. One is certainly not any tougher than the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads