• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McMansion or not?

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
That was fun, though I disagree with some of the popular opinion. For some of those, it was difficult to tell from one view. I wouldn't call an older large house a McMansion, nor would I call a very designed contemporary house a McMansion. To me McMansion means unnecessarily large, generally taking up too much of the lot and of a gaudy and boring cookie-cutter style.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost none of those are McMansions. McMansions have huge double-height entryways and are all in very similar styles, usually on small acreage and definitely with most of the trees cut down for maximum visibility. Usually also have very tall roofs and/or lots of extra roof lines when not needed.

2045311.hsmall.jpg

mcmansion.jpg

StevenRocks

Reaction score
^Those houses pictured above are definately McMansions. I don't think they look that bad, but consider 80 of them lined up on a barren former pasture and there lies the problem.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's a game: go cruise around google-earth looking for mcmansion neighborhoods. why? i dunno.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, one thing that characterizes a McMansion, and more specifically the plague that they can be, is that they don't fit in with their neighborhood. So an entire neighborhood of those pictured above, doesn't seem to out of place to me. We have any number of those developments in the DC/Balto area. To me, the problem is when a house in a neighborhood is renovated (or just razed) to be that big. All of the sudden you do have what seems to be a mansion in among smaller homes.

Even if I had the money and even if it's in a development full of 'em, I'm still not buying one, btw. I find any house that large to simply be too large. My gf and I watch a number of these house-hunting shows and we're amazed by what people think is "too small". I grew up in a 1300 sq ft house where my sisters shared a bedroom. These days that seems to be unbearable for the parents.

bob

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob, we had 7 kids in a 900-sf "ranch" with one bathroom.

I have a bit of a McMansion now (payback for growing up as I did) and I'm dying to downsize to a nice apartment in the city, maybe 1200-sf (if in Chicago) or something smaller in DC or NYC.

I just can't keep us with the bigger place and I don't need or want that much space.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
What are McMansions like in Poland? Do they look similar to those pictured?

Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Bob, we had 7 kids in a 900-sf "ranch" with one bathroom.

I have a bit of a McMansion now (payback for growing up as I did) and I'm dying to downsize to a nice apartment in the city, maybe 1200-sf (if in Chicago) or something smaller in DC or NYC.

I just can't keep us with the bigger place and I don't need or want that much space.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
What are McMansions like in Poland? Do they look similar to those pictured?

I live in the glorious Midwestern U.S. Poland is the land of my people.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
I live in the glorious Midwestern U.S. Poland is the land of my people.

Interesting. I would have thought someone named Mr. Checks would have heritage that was, well, Czech.
smile.gif

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to me, square footage alone does not a mcmansion make. the term implies a mass-produced aesthetic, whether or not it is actually a tract home. true, it has to be large, but it has also to look large, and to have features and materials that suggest the people making the decisions couldn't be bothered with thinking about such frivolities as style with integrity, or landscape, or good taste, or what have you.

/andrew

stach

Reaction score
N.Y. Times is now writing about McCondos -

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that happening with all the so-called "lofts" going up in suburban and exurban areas. it's just wierd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads