or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › McMansion or not?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

McMansion or not? - Page 34

post #496 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Growing up I was told never to use the word mansion ... but rather house. I'm told the term great house is acceptable.
Yes...and always use the word BOAT.
post #497 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Growing up I was told never to use the word mansion ... but rather house. I'm told the term great house is acceptable.

That's an interesting point which I'd never considered until just now. Is "mansion" derived from "manse"? 'Cause a manse, afaik, is a minister's house, usually of the Calvinist bent. Not an imposing, nor ostentatious abode at all.

Perhaps I've mixed up my word roots.
post #498 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Growing up I was told never to use the word mansion ... but rather house. I'm told the term great house is acceptable.

Growing up, I was told rich people didn't need to put plastic over their windows in the winter.
post #499 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
That's an interesting point which I'd never considered until just now. Is "mansion" derived from "manse"? 'Cause a manse, afaik, is a minister's house, usually of the Calvinist bent. Not an imposing, nor ostentatious abode at all.

Perhaps I've mixed up my word roots.
Per Oxford: Origin: late Middle English (denoting the chief residence of a lord): via Old French from Latin mansio(n-) 'place where someone stays', from manere 'remain'
post #500 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
Yes...and always use the word BOAT.
Did we share a mother?
post #501 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Growing up, I was told rich people didn't need to put plastic over their windows in the winter.

Nor do they pile straw bales around the foundation.
post #502 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube View Post
Nor do they pile straw bales around the foundation.

Yearly fall event at my place.

I also heard the rich people have furnaces and not two space heaters.

Holy fuck. Holler if you grew up with space heaters. Been years since I thought of them. They were great for putting your ski-doo boots and gloves in front of to dry out after playing the snow.
post #503 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Did we share a mother?
I am most certainly an only child
post #504 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Yearly fall event at my place. I also heard the rich people have furnaces and not two space heaters. Holy fuck. Holler if you grew up with space heaters. Been years since I thought of them. They were great for putting your ski-doo boots and gloves in front of to dry out after playing the snow.
My parents still use a space heater in their bedroom at night so that they can have the rest of the house at about 50F. It harkens back to perhaps 20-25 years or so ago when they had to squeeze every penny they could. They rode the dot com bubble up and thankfully not down, but the heater stayed.
post #505 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by venessian View Post
I suppose the definition of what constitutes a "mansion" has changed over the years and from country to country, but I think that the following characteristics still hold true, in general:

* Over 5,000-7,500 sf.
* Special rooms designed expressly for entertaining and/or to accommodate various activities, such as large formal dining; conservatories/greenhouses/indoor pools; library/gallery/offices; luxe home theatres; etc.
* More bedrooms than required by occupants (i.e. several guest rooms with ancillary baths).
* Private domestics' quarters.
* Extensive, designed grounds if in the country.
* Various out-buildings (i.e. guest house/s; luxe garage/s; maintenance buildings; possibly domestics' quarters) if in the country.
* These days, probably very high-tech security; a-v systems; and domotics.

I have no idea if a strict definition exists.

^^ It would be nice if someone can share some examples of a modern mansion, as we now have many examples of McMansions.
post #506 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
^^ It would be nice if someone can share some examples of a modern mansion, as we now have many examples of McMansions.
I'll try to take some pictures this weekend.
post #507 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
^^ It would be nice if someone can share some examples of a modern mansion, as we now have many examples of McMansions.

Wafic Saïd's house (Tusmore House), which was featured in Country Life, is a modern palladian mansion.





post #508 of 539
Is there a good book on architecture for a noob?
post #509 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Is there a good book on architecture for a noob?

Read Witold Rybzinksi's stuff, he has a column on slate and wrote several books. I like Home: A brief history of an idea alot.

My parents still use space heaters almost exclusively in the winter. My room had to have one as the previous owners (Architects no less) added on to the house and just put a duct in the heating/ac system to run air up to the new second floor. Which meant no air went to my room as it all got sucked away. More or less ok in the summer as it was protected by trees and much cooler than other rooms but awful in winter.
post #510 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Is there a good book on architecture for a noob?

Do you want to read about architecture or look at architecture? What are specifically interested in?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › McMansion or not?