or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › McMansion or not?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

McMansion or not? - Page 31

post #451 of 539
I have a couple issues with each, but the first is superior architecturally, and its flaws are more correctable. The exterior and landscaping are class, but the interior is soulless. I'd flip the roof to slate or wood, paint the interiors white, and eliminate the kitschy fixtures/drapes. If you wanted to do it right, it would take some serious money for a house that size, which is why the idea of a 6000 square foot home still boggles my mind.
post #452 of 539
The 15+ acres of the 2nd one closes the deal for me. Distance from neighbors means solitude.
post #453 of 539
After several visits, I've decided that the most redeeming thing about Fairhope is that it is not Pensacola
post #454 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
After several visits, I've decided that the most redeeming thing about Fairhope is that it is not Pensacola
Mobile is definitely okay. I assure you.
post #455 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
I have a couple issues with each, but the first is superior architecturally, and its flaws are more correctable. The exterior and landscaping are class, but the interior is soulless. I'd flip the roof to slate or wood, paint the interiors white, and eliminate the kitschy fixtures/drapes. If you wanted to do it right, it would take some serious money for a house that size, which is why the idea of a 6000 square foot home still boggles my mind.

I agree about fixing the first place bc I can actually envision what it would look like when done. I saw it and immediately knew what direction to go.

The second one not so much but I'm very fond of the Point Clear area as I grew up just down the road.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
The 15+ acres of the 2nd one closes the deal for me. Distance from neighbors means solitude.

The 15 acres would be grand. The neighbor across the street however has what may be the most beautiful 36 rolling, oak filled acres in the town

RSS, I'm not sure I can afford your undisclosed fee but having had a peek at the place what would you immediately change?

Perhaps I need to start a new thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
After several visits, I've decided that the most redeeming thing about Fairhope is that it is not Pensacola



I only go to P'cola for the airport.
post #456 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
The 15 acres would be grand. The neighbor across the street however has what may be the most beautiful 36 rolling, oak filled acres in the town

RSS, I'm not sure I can afford your undisclosed fee but having had a peek at the place what would you immediately change?
Anything here on SF is free. BTW ... I'm out the rest of this and much of the next week ... working on a project in Bermuda. I'm retired ... but I couldn't say no to that project ... so I'm working as a consultant to my old firm.
post #457 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Anything here on SF is free. BTW ... I'm out the rest of this and much of the next week ... working on a project in Bermuda. I'm retired ... but I couldn't say no to that project ... so I'm working as a consultant to my old firm.
Duly noted
post #458 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
Mobile is definitely okay. I assure you.
I like Mobile. Haven't been in awhile but I remember great fried fish, great record stores. BTW, CouttsClient, welcome back.
post #459 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
I like Mobile.
I do too. In Alabama ... it's THE place to live.

And yes, CouttsClient, welcome back ... you are missed when you are away!
post #460 of 539
Last visit I was there for a funeral. I got lost and had a hell of a time finding the synagogue. I had no trouble whatsoever finding the Jew church though.
post #461 of 539
Thanks for the warm welcome! I tried starting the conversation with my mother about possibly expanding my search for a house to Mobile. That was not well received. She is an Eastern Shore kind of lady...if that makes any sense.
post #462 of 539
So she knows where the synagogue is?
post #463 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
So she knows where the synagogue is?
Indeed
post #464 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
Last visit I was there for a funeral. I got lost and had a hell of a time finding the synagogue. I had no trouble whatsoever finding the Jew church though.
Jewish church? Yes, I recall that in many Southern towns ... they were listed in the phone book under churches. Makes no sense to me ... but I don't put the phone book together.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
I tried starting the conversation with my mother about possibly expanding my search for a house to Mobile. That was not well received. She is an Eastern Shore kind of lady...if that makes any sense.
Please let you mother know that I mean no harm in my reference to Mobile ... I was speaking of the general area. Yes, Eastern Shore gives critical information.
post #465 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouttsClient View Post
I agree about fixing the first place bc I can actually envision what it would look like when done. I saw it and immediately knew what direction to go.

The second one not so much but I'm very fond of the Point Clear area as I grew up just down the road.




The 15 acres would be grand. The neighbor across the street however has what may be the most beautiful 36 rolling, oak filled acres in the town

RSS, I'm not sure I can afford your undisclosed fee but having had a peek at the place what would you immediately change?

Perhaps I need to start a new thread...





I only go to P'cola for the airport.

First one is a much better house imo. Second one is definitely McMansiony based on interior build quality/details whereas the first one has some character.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › McMansion or not?