or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › McMansion or not?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

McMansion or not? - Page 20

post #286 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
However, a incandescent light is an imitation of natural light sources. Your pronouncements here would bar you from having them in your home.
It's technically not an imitation. It's a small, contained form of fire, which is completely natural. It's an imitation or artificial in the sense that using it doesn't allow the actual time of day to be represented. That would make its use less desirable than the sun, so if a space can be lit by sun light, you would be best to avoid incandescent bulbs all together.
post #287 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
It's technically not an imitation. It's a small, contained form of fire, which is completely natural. It's an imitation or artificial in the sense that using it doesn't allow the actual time of day to be represented. That would make it's use less desirable than the sun, so if a space can be lit by sun light, you would be best to avoid incandescent bulbs all together.



Yes, it is completely natural for a standing current to be passed through a filament within a vacuum housed by glass.
post #288 of 539
It's the same goddamn form of light as this.
post #289 of 539
i can't think of an emptier gesture than trying to tell someone their opinions on what constitutes good taste and a natural aesthetic are incorrect for semantic reasons. my avatar has a little tie. your argument is invalid.
post #290 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
it isn't ridiculous. i am currently in my drab office, depressed, wishing that i was in the forest office that was posted, or in my nice bungalow home . it's not a brain waves/emerging field of science debate. it's more like "i'm eating Lay's potato chips, i wish i had some good food."

The last place I want to feel comfortable is in an office at work.
post #291 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
We didn't need that book to tell us Catholicism is the guide to man's existence.
I left the church because I didn't want to associate with people that went HERE to find God. As if He would ever step inside such a piece of shit?
post #292 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnapril View Post
The last place I want to feel comfortable is in an office at work.

you must be from chicago.
post #293 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
you must be from chicago.

Close.
post #294 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
I left the church because I didn't want to associate with people that went HERE to find God. As if He would ever step inside such a piece of shit?


Ew. What is that?

BTW: You should visit St. Mary's in Sydney. Just wow.

Also there is a little church next to Georgetown U that is just stunning. So simple, so serene...
post #295 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiecollector View Post
Quality issues aside, the biggest problem with McMansions is that they are trying to be something they aren't. They take all these different cool features from other eras and then jumble them together with unskilled workers who can't possibly come close to recreating the original detail. They are the hipsters of the architectural world.

Not justifying anything, but quality materials are incredibly difficult to find, and finding the labor or workmanship to apply the materials is near impossible in this day and age.

I'm going to have to disagree about the cement board siding. My house originally had shiplap wood siding but the previous owners messed it up so bad, it was unsalvagable (God knows I tried). While I think the original siding is preferable, I put Hardie Board on my house for a couple of reasons and I really struggled with the decision.

1) It is fire and termite resistant and in the hot summers aids in insulation.

2) This was my biggest reason. The wood of today is not the same as the wood from before. Wood from 75 years ago is much more dense. A stud in my house has about 33 rings that can be counted from the 2" side of a 2x4. A stud bought from Home Depot has about 7 and weighs about the same as balsa wood

I did get some real wood shiplap siding to put in one small place that isn't even exposed directly to rain and the wood warped. I remember reading that cement board has actually been around for a while (~100 years). It used to be used with asbestos and now uses cellulose fibers to hold it together.

3) It holds paint very well. Paint today is also not the same as from before. Formulations have made it less "toxic" but you need much of it to make it last as long. If you want to properly re-prep your house every 5 years to repaint it, a newly painted surface should look brand new still.

4) It doesn't have to look bad just because it isn't wood, but for the love of God don't try to pretend it's wood. I ordered the smooth cement board and actually had to special order from the factory because it was such an "unusual" request.

5) This is more of a side note, but the cost is actually a little bit more than actual wood.

Not all newer materials are bad, just 95% of them. I'd say the following are okay to use and have a purpose (off the top of my head):

1) Insulation
2) Vapor barriers
3) Cement board, you can also use it under bathroom floors and shower stalls behind the tile. The bathroom in my house when I bought it had dryrot all around.
4) Paralam for large spanning joists
5) Plywood
6) Electrical wiring
7) Some types of caulking, putty, sealers, etc.



Yeah, the really old, thick stuff is really neat. The newer stuff they call linoleum at places like Home Depot really isn't the same thing. If you want the same type of stuff from back in the day look into a product called Marmoleum, which is actually more costly than real wood flooring.

as the 'proud' owners of an almost 90 year old home, I dont think all new is bad, nor do I think all old is bad. The wood our house was framed with is so dense I destroyed TWO drills doing some work on it. The workmanship on the guts of the house is insane. However, for modern times, the rest leaves a lot to be desired. Some people love plaster. I suppose if I had to redo my house from scratch, I would love it. however 30, 40 50 years later would it be just as cracked and screwed up as ours is? How about the K&T or paper wiring? At the time, this house must have been state of the art, but now? its a fire hazard. Pipes, layouts, you name it is dated. After installing a super awesome furnace our bills are sky high. Why? oh, single pane windows, no insulation, a foundation that has settled causing the doors not to seal properly, you name it. So not all old is good. The area I live has seen a lot of (well in the good days) of people buying houses like ours, gutting them, expanding them, but really doing a good job of keeping the flavor of the original. Where does old stop and new begin and does it matter? Do you get points for your house being a fire hazard becuase it has old wiring? Or being unusable, because it only has a bathtub?

Thats why I feel the idea of the mcmansion, which I define as a cookie cutter, overly large for its lot (see north dallas), bastardization of its design elements has a place, simply as another 'design school' and in 50 -100 years we will be talking about it as a style (perhaps as our predecessors discussed usonian or levitt houses). the thing that gets me, however which simply cannot be avoided is a quality discussion. While my house very much 'could' be still standing 50-100 years from now in some form, I seriously question weather any of today modern homes will experience the same longevity.

while I think there is such a thing as a timeless design, I think its unavoidable that current design trends will creep in, and in a cyclical nature such as all design will fall in and out of favor.
post #296 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Not only does fluorescent light contain "colour," you can tailor the composition of the light for special uses, i.e. higher in the blues for areas frequented by the elderly. It's come a long way.

No. It doesn't. Fluorescent LIGHT has no color. Fluorescent LIGHTS use different compositions of phosphors and phosphorescent coatings to reflect the light in different colors.
post #297 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
i can't think of an emptier gesture than trying to tell someone their opinions on what constitutes good taste and a natural aesthetic are incorrect for semantic reasons.

my avatar has a little tie. your argument is invalid.

This is how I feel about someone telling people they lack taste, or have built above their means, because their house has dry wall and not plaster done the old fashioned way. I have repeatedly tried to seek some common ground here and been constantly rebuffed. When I point out the bullshit of his pontificating, he was just being "sarcastic" as, you know, my grandparents used electric lighting...

No, sorry, it's not just semantic.
post #298 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
I left the church because I didn't want to associate with people that went HERE to find God. As if He would ever step inside such a piece of shit?

some of the most awesome buildings I've ever seen (in person and in photos) have been monasteries.
post #299 of 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
some of the most awesome buildings I've ever seen (in person and in photos) have been monasteries.

Even more amazing is how the architecture is all uniform. I forget who, either St. Bernard or St. Benedict said a blind monk should be able walk in any abbey and not get lost or hit anything.
post #300 of 539
I don't blame people for living in these houses. There are only so many houses built with an iota of intelligence or integrity. I blame the people designing them, building them, and marketing them to the people who don't comprehend the absurdity of it all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › McMansion or not?