• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let me introduce myself; J.P. Myhre, Bespoke Shoemaker

J.P. Myhre

Reaction score
Dear Fellow Gentleman,
My name is J.P. Myhre, I am nearly 46 years of age, I am located in Oslo, Norway and I have been in the shoemaking trade since 1981. The insight I have in the "Noble art" today is based on what once started, and over the years, passed over to me through the famous establishment in London, John Lobb Ltd. The relation started in 1987 and is still ticking regularly. I love my trade and I am always looking for new ideas, or different perspectives and views to how a classic shoe can be designed. It is amazing how much a style changes by adding, or detracting small details, or switching between leathers. This is probably why I love it, because of the crafts natural integrity, the lines and the complexity of a good looking last, the softness and pliability of the best calf leather and finally the intimacy of the fitting!

Gentleman, this is what I will like to share with you, through a pair of shoes! This insight and philosophy is the main difference between RTW, MTM and Bespoke and the main reason why it is impossible to compare! I am planning a tour in the USA, starting in NY, this October. Please, stay posted!

Gentleman, the following picture shows a Full Derby Brogue in Freudenbergs black calf, 1.2 mm. It is welted normally and the sole is attached to the welt with 8 stitches to the inch. The thickness of the sole is 3/8"inch which makes this style suitable for nice walks in the city. The heel is build up piece by piece and secured with nails through the washered Philips rubber lift. The choice of heel is up to the wearer, of course. If you like a harder feeling that gives you a clicking sound while walking, you must choose a 3/4" rubber tipped leather heel. If you have any questions concerning Bespoke shoes, or you want to register yourself to receive an invitation for the Bespoke Gathering in October, please do not hesitate to send me an e-mail at [email protected], or visit the website; www.bespoke-shoes.com within a few weeks time.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your web site appears to be down right now.

Otherwise, more pictures please.
smile.gif
Ideally of brown shoes.

J.P. Myhre

Reaction score
As previously posted, my website will be launched within a few weeks time. Gentleman, please be patient!

Attached, is a version of a Closed Derby style. Upper is a single piece with lace facings and heel counters, stout aniline calf, split-toe, norwegian hand stitches on apron front, 3/8"inch sole with a bevelled waiste, which is unusuall for thicker soles than a 1/4"inch, 8 stitches to the inch, standard leather heel with nailed Philips rubber top-lift. Natural calf lining and finally medium brown transparent edge finishing.

le.gentleman

Reaction score
I like your derbys' design very much - the toe and the wing just beneath the laces...marvelous

Nevertheless, I prefer lasts that look more "elegant" - like the way Weston or Corthay does...
Do you also have a picture of a brown chisel toe oxford? How much do you charge for your bespoke shoes [I know that it depends on the leather ;-)]

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J.P. Myhre
Here is another Closed Derby Style in Grinded Waxed Calf. Hope you enjoy!

I think that's a beautiful shoe...can't wait until your website goes up.

Stuttjukken

Reaction score
J. P. Myhre. Where in Oslo are You located? If You have a store, whats the name? Great shoes.

J.P. Myhre

Reaction score
Dear Sir, located in Germany, Thank You for your support! That is always dear and welcome! I like your question, because it points directly at the different "schools" we are belonging to as byers, wearers, customers and shoemakers. I belive the focus during my upbringing as a lastmaker was leaning more against an Edwardian/Victorian path in the tradition, than towards futuristic sculptures. I have always been very interested in art and I have always looked upon limitless sculptures as interesting objects. But during my career as a fitter and lastmaker, I have very seldom met, or seen a pair of feet matching an excessively pointed chissel toe very well. This is of course connected to culture, but also to the individual taste, which is a part of the culture. It is really, an interesting issue that brings up a lot of questions in my mind, anyway! Never the less, I do have a chissel toe to show you gentleman, but I am afraid it´s rather British than French. It is not brown either! I am sorry about that, but I have to leave something for the future! The shoetrees though is made out of light colored Honduras Mahogny, which leaves a light and beautiful lustre when polished. Prices starts at USD$2.800,- for shoes and USD$650,- for shoetrees, plus assurance/freight/handling. By the way, it is 12 stitches to the inch on this pair of Oxfords. Lightweight Italian Babycalf 0.9 - 1.0 mm. Todays Bespoke prices are not fixed, it depends on various details in the market. Hope you enjoy it!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd enjoy seeing photos of any interesting shoes made with exotic leathers.

J.P. Myhre

Reaction score
Dear Sir,
This is a boot made out of Alligator Mississipines. 1/4"inch sole, bevelled waiste, 10 stitches to the inch. There is a very nice brass buckle on the top outside of the ancle boot. It will have to be a secret until I decide when to reveal it.
I think this will do for some time. You gentleman will have to be patient now until I launch my website. Hope you enjoy it!

TAYLOR

Reaction score
If I show you a picture, can you make the same model? How do I send you my measurement for bespoke?

ndw

Reaction score
Your Shoes Are Fantastic
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads